Forum meetup - Oblivion @ Volks Brighton October 24th

Old Skool chat, tune discussions.
No tape packs or mix tape posts in the forum please!
dj jedi

Forum meetup - Oblivion @ Volks Brighton October 24th

Post by dj jedi » Mon Oct 05, 2015 10:07 am

Sorry for the 'spam' but for those that don't check the events section, just a heads up about an event I'm putting on in October featuring some of our forum DJs including Si 2 Bad Mice, Elusive, myself and hopefully Abo if he can make it :) All the details are here:

viewtopic.php?f=55&t=128176
BLJ_posterOctober2015_web.jpg

Richruffcut
Oldskool Raver
Oldskool Raver

Re: Forum meetup - Oblivion @ Volks Brighton October 24th

Post by Richruffcut » Tue Oct 06, 2015 9:15 pm

I went to some of your Oblivion events back then. The show bar, cheeky little monkeys or whatever it was called then wasn't it? I might try and make it along.

dj jedi

Post by dj jedi » Wed Oct 07, 2015 6:26 am

Richruffcut wrote:I went to some of your Oblivion events back then. The show bar, cheeky little monkeys or whatever it was called then wasn't it? I might try and make it along.
Yeah that's right mate was at the Showbar from 2002-2004, great venue. Then I did some at Club Destiny (Dusk Til Dawn now) and finally at K1 in 2006. Would be great if you can make it!

rage
Old Skool Don Daddy
Old Skool Don Daddy

Post by rage » Wed Oct 07, 2015 9:01 am

Dusk til Dawn sadly shut about 3 years ago, apparently the owners were involved in some drug smuggling ring and they lost their licence. It was boarded up up until a couple of weeks ago but now the outer walls have been knocked through and replaced by windows, I guess it's going to become a shop or restaurant.

Showbar is Aruba now and a commercial bar / club, not great but I've been to worse. Lots of hotties in there usually. K1 is long gone, nothing stays the same for long does it!

Are you doing this with Cliff? I've still got some of the original Oblivion flyers from the 90s.

dj jedi

Post by dj jedi » Wed Oct 07, 2015 9:12 am

No it's just been me since 2003, I only did the first 6 events with Cliff in 2002, he dropped out after that (well more accurately couldn't put any more money in to it!) We joined forces because I was doing a small event called Friction at Millennium (Dusk Til Dawn) and fancied doing something bigger, I can't remember why we decided to use his brand instead of mine but it didn't make sense to change the name back to Friction after he dropped out (although he wasn't happy about me using the name for a while.) There was also a guy called Lee involved in our first Showbar Oblivion who you may know, he used to do all the Opera House posters and flyers. But he dropped out when we lost money on the first one.

Destiny didn't put on any events from late 2002 until they bought Millennium in 2004, so Oblivion was basically filling the local demand for some kind of rave. I stopped doing Oblivion in 2006 when I moved to London.

Haven't heard from Cliff for a few years, last I saw he was a car salesman in Andover! He doesn't seem to be on Facebook any more.

This is the event I was doing before Oblivion, had a B2VOS room at one of them :)
01_25_2002_friction.jpg
01_25_2002_friction.jpg (29.89 KiB) Viewed 2912 times

DJ Chance
Old Skool Don Daddy
Old Skool Don Daddy

Post by DJ Chance » Wed Oct 07, 2015 4:00 pm

And what a night that was! Nearly 14 years ago now!

Had a load of mates come down (with partners) for the night. We all stayed at the Russell Court Hotel and what an absolute DIVE that place was! Is it still there? (EDIT - Just checked and it is however looks a damn sight better than when we stayed!)

We still joke about that place to this day!

Richruffcut
Oldskool Raver
Oldskool Raver

Post by Richruffcut » Wed Oct 07, 2015 6:03 pm

Never knew you were doing the friction nights, i went to a few of them as well. God those names bring back some memories! What's sargent sam up to these days? Sam was i nice chap went to a few helter skelters with him and others. Top bloke he used to make me laugh, he never used to do any little ones but he would always be propa going for it all night long.

dj jedi

Post by dj jedi » Wed Oct 07, 2015 7:49 pm

Yeah Sam was a decent guy. Haven't seen him for about 5 years so no idea now, but he was a pretty successful hardcore producer for quite a few years and the in-house engineer for Next Generation/Blatant Beats after Fade left:

http://www.discogs.com/artist/686118-Sam-Thomsitt

dj jedi

Post by dj jedi » Thu Oct 08, 2015 10:49 am

Here's a new banner I've knocked up for the event, getting a big one printed to stick behind the DJ booth :)
oblivion-banner-lores.jpg

strongforce
The Messiah of the 21st Century
The Messiah of the 21st Century

Post by strongforce » Sat Oct 10, 2015 11:40 am

Ah man......quality line up altho I've already got a load of heads coming over mine for a mashup the night before.

Hope it goes well and I'll make it down for the next one......if there is one?

dj jedi

Post by dj jedi » Sat Oct 10, 2015 11:54 am

strongforce wrote:Hope it goes well and I'll make it down for the next one......if there is one?
Hopefully mate if this one goes well!

dj jedi

Post by dj jedi » Tue Oct 27, 2015 4:22 pm

I've uploaded the 2 Bad Mice set and mine here:

viewtopic.php?uid=33&f=27&t=128220