Oldskool DJ's that get overlooked, but...

Old Skool chat, tune discussions.
No tape packs or mix tape posts in the forum please!
dj jedi

Re: Oldskool DJ's that get overlooked, but...

Post by dj jedi » Wed Oct 07, 2015 3:38 pm

Restless wrote:I don't think he was anywhere near being 'undisputed king'. Many better DJ's out there at that time.
Oh better DJs sure, but I think he was probably the most famous hardcore DJ 92-93, he headlined all the big raves.

Thrash
Oldskool Raver
Oldskool Raver

Post by Thrash » Wed Oct 07, 2015 5:17 pm

Carl Cox was the biggest name at any event in 92/93 in my opinion.

Restless
Old Skool Don Daddy
Old Skool Don Daddy

Post by Restless » Wed Oct 07, 2015 5:38 pm

Thrash wrote:Carl Cox was the biggest name at any event in 92/93 in my opinion.
By far.

Thrash
Oldskool Raver
Oldskool Raver

Post by Thrash » Wed Oct 07, 2015 6:09 pm

Regarding the Ellis Dee / Mickey Finn shit mixing debate, I'd be surprised if most people even knew where tunes started & finished back then, I know I certainly didn't. All nights were drug fuelled affairs where you'd recognise a few tunes which we'd now mainly class as anthems but the rest was just intense hardcore.

The only DJ I ever remember hearing 'live' & noticing any clanging was JJ Frost.

rage
Old Skool Don Daddy
Old Skool Don Daddy

Post by rage » Wed Oct 07, 2015 7:45 pm

Yeah Frost was a shocker, but also remember hearing some huge tunes for the first time on his sets.

This was the first set I heard where I realised what a DJ could be capable of, and what made me want to learn how to mix! Has aged like a fine wine too, plenty of Ron's stuff on here! :)

Restless
Old Skool Don Daddy
Old Skool Don Daddy

Post by Restless » Wed Oct 07, 2015 10:07 pm

Ratty's my favourite DJ from those times by far! One of my faves of all time, too.

'92-'93 (especially '93. His Obsessed sets from then are astounding) he was miles ahead of everyone.

Apparently at a Perception rave in '91 (where he made his name), he was supposed to have blown every DJ to bits that night. Literally like "who the f*ck is this guy?!?!?!).

There's not a single person I know who went out back then that wasn't blown away by Ratty. He f*cking tore it up big time. DJ's I know who are ace were amazed by his skills, as were ravers who were on the level.

He's the man up this way (Midlands). Nobody can touch him technically. He's been the man since day dot.

Skills, selection, energy (man, so many DJ's lack this in their sets!) - the man had it all. In spades, too.

If he was from London he'd have been MUCH bigger. Smokes Fab, Groove, Micky, Ellis - all the top London jocks. Way better than all of them. Only Hype, Bukem and Randall can test him, IMO. Coxy and Easygroove for non-londoners are on his level as well.

Shame he only plays, well, mostly plays '93 stuff now. Plays a killer warm-up set as well.

dj_gyr8
Old Skool Don Daddy
Old Skool Don Daddy

Post by dj_gyr8 » Thu Oct 08, 2015 6:53 am

Hi,

You guys gotta remember, the vast majority of any audience have no interest in DJing etc, they just want to have fun - so mixing is irrelevant to them...

Sure, mixing ability may be of more interest now, but even my mum can do a top-class mix, if using CDs or a laptop...

Track selection, and having the latest tracks nobody else has - that was always the most important thing, and why you got bookings... For example, Grooverider...

taffster
Old Skool Master
Old Skool Master

Post by taffster » Sun Oct 11, 2015 8:07 pm

Whilst I somewhat agree with your first statement, can you post one of your mums mixes please? Thanks.

Restless
Old Skool Don Daddy
Old Skool Don Daddy

Post by Restless » Sun Oct 11, 2015 10:00 pm

taffster wrote:Whilst I somewhat agree with your first statement, can you post one of your mums mixes please? Thanks.
:lol: :lol: =D> \:D/ [-o<

dial1
Regular
Regular

Post by dial1 » Mon Nov 23, 2015 7:37 pm

Restless wrote:Ratty's my favourite DJ from those times by far! One of my faves of all time, too.

'92-'93 (especially '93. His Obsessed sets from then are astounding) he was miles ahead of everyone.

Apparently at a Perception rave in '91 (where he made his name), he was supposed to have blown every DJ to bits that night. Literally like "who the f*ck is this guy?!?!?!).

There's not a single person I know who went out back then that wasn't blown away by Ratty. He f*cking tore it up big time. DJ's I know who are ace were amazed by his skills, as were ravers who were on the level.

He's the man up this way (Midlands). Nobody can touch him technically. He's been the man since day dot.

Skills, selection, energy (man, so many DJ's lack this in their sets!) - the man had it all. In spades, too.

If he was from London he'd have been MUCH bigger. Smokes Fab, Groove, Micky, Ellis - all the top London jocks. Way better than all of them. Only Hype, Bukem and Randall can test him, IMO. Coxy and Easygroove for non-londoners are on his level as well.

Shame he only plays, well, mostly plays '93 stuff now. Plays a killer warm-up set as well.
He had a visionary way of playing in 93 as well. dark but not horrorcore dark, serious and deep.