What anthems weren't that big bitd?

Old Skool chat, tune discussions.
No tape packs or mix tape posts in the forum please!
Restless
Old Skool Don Daddy
Old Skool Don Daddy

What anthems weren't that big bitd?

Post by Restless » Thu Oct 01, 2015 12:22 pm

But come '97 (the revival, IMO) were massive for some reason?

I always find that to be the case second time around for most genres. Tunes that were proper the first time around don't get a look-in, and tunes that weren't do.

dj_gyr8
Old Skool Don Daddy
Old Skool Don Daddy

Re: What anthems weren't that big bitd?

Post by dj_gyr8 » Thu Oct 01, 2015 2:47 pm

Hi,

EDGE #1 surely ppl lost interest by revival time...

I can't think of any tracks from 90-92 that were small BITD, but huge in 98...

dj jedi

Post by dj jedi » Fri Oct 02, 2015 8:46 am

I remember hearing tracks like Edge 1 and Hurt You So on a lot of tapes back then, but there was just much more variety in general. The only BITD set I can think of that compares to modern 'anthem sets' is Slipmatt Fantazia NYE 92 where he plays a lot of the mainstream tracks. Even Ratpack played a pretty good mixture of tracks back then. This whole idea of 'anthems' where every DJ plays the same 15 tracks only came about in about 97.

Back to the original question though, I don't recall hearing Far Out or Trip to Trumpton Remix on many old tapes, and both get played a lot now.

Restless
Old Skool Don Daddy
Old Skool Don Daddy

Post by Restless » Fri Oct 02, 2015 8:55 am

dj jedi wrote:I remember hearing tracks like Edge 1 and Hurt You So on a lot of tapes back then, but there was just much more variety in general. The only BITD set I can think of that compares to modern 'anthem sets' is Slipmatt Fantazia NYE 92 where he plays a lot of the mainstream tracks. Even Ratpack played a pretty good mixture of tracks back then. This whole idea of 'anthems' where every DJ plays the same 15 tracks only came about in about 97.

Back to the original question though, I don't recall hearing Far Out or Trip to Trumpton Remix on many old tapes, and both get played a lot now.
Great spot on "Trip to Trumpton".

Makes me laugh how EVERY DJ that's a big name puts those two together. No originality even on that side of things!

I haven't heard TTT on ANY set from BITD. And I've listened to hundreds upon hundreds of sets from those days.

"Raving I'm Raving" - Same thing. Never heard it once. Well, maybe once or twice. Certainly not like it gets played post '92.

dj jedi

Post by dj jedi » Fri Oct 02, 2015 10:21 am

Restless wrote:I haven't heard TTT on ANY set from BITD. And I've listened to hundreds upon hundreds of sets from those days.

"Raving I'm Raving" - Same thing. Never heard it once. Well, maybe once or twice. Certainly not like it gets played post '92.
Yeah come to think of it I don't think I did either. For what it's worth I think it's a decent track (the remix obviously!) but don't recall ever hearing it. Ratpack definitely started a few sets with SUAD in 92.

Paul Zykotik
Old Skool Don Daddy
Old Skool Don Daddy

Post by Paul Zykotik » Fri Oct 02, 2015 12:04 pm

The only set in 92 that I heard Trumpton Remix on was Fabio & Grooverider at Universe - Pleasure Planet.

Traffic Cone
The Messiah of the 21st Century

Post by Traffic Cone » Fri Oct 02, 2015 1:06 pm

i guess any tune which was really commercially popular, at the time would be avoided in raves but now time has passed wouldn't have the same stigma.

so maybe some Prodigy? Like Outer Space? I've heard the B sides on tapes but not that one.

rage
Old Skool Don Daddy
Old Skool Don Daddy

Post by rage » Fri Oct 02, 2015 5:17 pm

Trumpton is on here, wicked set.

Not so much anthems but I find it interesting how tunes that no one cared about back in the 90s or even in the eBay days ten years ago are now selling for big bucks. Mostly depends on the artist, for example any of Dillinja's early stuff seems to be really expensive regardless of whether its decent or not.

Thrash
Oldskool Raver
Oldskool Raver

Post by Thrash » Fri Oct 02, 2015 6:16 pm

Trumpton Remix was definitely played a few times at Book Of Love, can't remember which DJ's. I remember it most from Slipmatts set at Fantazia NYE at Littlecote House.

Raving I'm Raving was played by DJ SS at Summertime & as gash as the tune is, it was amazing at the time. The whistles, horns & noise were insane.

Elusive9T2
Nicolas Parsons
Nicolas Parsons

Post by Elusive9T2 » Fri Oct 02, 2015 7:19 pm

I never heard Pennywise played out once, it is only on a few tapes too

rage
Old Skool Don Daddy
Old Skool Don Daddy

Post by rage » Fri Oct 02, 2015 8:45 pm

It's on Rob E at Swing Red October (the B side of Ratty) maybe the second or third rave tape I bought so I had heard it hundreds of times before I finally tracked it down on vinyl, a slightly but not too battered copy I bought in a second hand shop in Boscombe for a pound in 1996. Still got it and love it dearly!

I guess a lot comes down to what you had on tape back then, we weren't spoilt for choice like we are these days. It has been a life mission collecting the tunes from those early tapes.

DJ ABO

Post by DJ ABO » Fri Oct 02, 2015 9:22 pm

M17 - rockin' down the house. Never heard it played bitd but seems to get played out a lot post '97

rage
Old Skool Don Daddy
Old Skool Don Daddy

Post by rage » Fri Oct 02, 2015 9:29 pm

Yeah good one, same here. I dont hear it played much these days either! Decent tune too.

Fizza
Oldskool Raver
Oldskool Raver

Post by Fizza » Fri Oct 02, 2015 9:45 pm

dj jedi wrote: This whole idea of 'anthems' where every DJ plays the same 15 tracks only came about in about 97.
Sort of.. there were tracks that you could almost guarantee to hear five times in one night, Future Sound 2Bad Mice remix was one that particularly stands out, it seemed you couldn't get away from it at one point, killer tune though.
dj jedi wrote:Back to the original question though, I don't recall hearing Far Out or Trip to Trumpton Remix on many old tapes, and both get played a lot now.
Don't know about Trip To Trumpton remix, but Far Out was very popular but it peaked around NYE '91 into early '92 which was a bit before the big summer events and, I might hazard to say, the proliferation of tapes accompanying events. AWOL itself didn't start till Mar/Apr '92?
Elusive9T2 wrote:I never heard Pennywise played out once, it is only on a few tapes too
Pennywise was a massive tune in AWOL, one of the rare tracks that would sometimes be played right to the end. It was a big tune everywhere else too.

I don't know what the anthems were circa '97 though so if anyone can list them I would try and see if I can point one or two out if they're there.

DJ ABO wrote:M17 - rockin' down the house. Never heard it played bitd but seems to get played out a lot post '97

Another early one, like Far Out, it got played, whether it could have been called an anthem bitd though, I don't know.

Restless
Old Skool Don Daddy
Old Skool Don Daddy

Post by Restless » Sat Oct 03, 2015 9:03 am

What about "Closer" by Rhythm Quest? Barely heard it out at all BITD. Post '92 it's a slammer!?