What do people look for in oldskool mixes these days?

Old Skool chat, tune discussions.
No tape packs or mix tape posts in the forum please!
Restless
Old Skool Don Daddy
Old Skool Don Daddy

Re: What do people look for in oldskool mixes these days?

Post by Restless » Fri Jul 31, 2015 10:03 am

dj jedi wrote:I certainly agree that it peaked commercially in 1992, and although I wasn't around in 1988 I don't believe house was as big then as hardcore was in 92 (remember most of the early acid house raves were illegal, so may well have been big but not commercial.)

My personal opinion is that 93 was the best year for music, it was still cutting edge but just a bit more polished than 92. In fact I'd also say 91 was more polished than 92, for some reason 92 did have a lot of good but basic and badly made tracks, probably because so many amateurs were getting in to it. Although slower I think most of the 91 anthems sound more professional than the 92 anthems.
When people mention groundbreaking nights/venues in British Dance Music they mention...

Biology
Sunrise
Genesis
The Hacienda

They are the man in ones which instantly spring to mind.

Acid was FRONT PAGE stuff in The Sun and other papers, Oldskool didn't even get that kind of attention as it had already been done years before... House was absolutely huge back then, much bigger than what Oldskool was.

@ nebkins - I'm not writing it off, it's just that the scene peaked in the summer of '92 that's all.

nebkins
Old Skool Don Daddy
Old Skool Don Daddy

Post by nebkins » Fri Jul 31, 2015 10:35 am

Commercially peaked yes but peaked in terms of innovation, tune quality no.

Personally it was good that the scene reached saturation point as it allowed for the producers to consolidate and come back with underground tunes - see darkcore, early jungle (ie early Kemet, mid period Ibiza Records et al) and finally jungle/drum and bass (Intense, Bukem/GLR, Photek, JMJ & Richie and on and on).

dj jedi

Post by dj jedi » Fri Jul 31, 2015 10:39 am

nebkins wrote:Commercially peaked yes but peaked in terms of innovation, tune quality no.
Yeah agreed, that's basically what I meant.

Restless
Old Skool Don Daddy
Old Skool Don Daddy

Post by Restless » Fri Jul 31, 2015 10:54 am

nebkins wrote:Commercially peaked yes but peaked in terms of innovation, tune quality no.

Personally it was good that the scene reached saturation point as it allowed for the producers to consolidate and come back with underground tunes - see darkcore, early jungle (ie early Kemet, mid period Ibiza Records et al) and finally jungle/drum and bass (Intense, Bukem/GLR, Photek, JMJ & Richie and on and on).
Agreed.

I like it when a scene has reached saturation, personally. Obviously it's annoying at the time, but I'm always excited for the new ideas that will soon follow.

@ Jedi - Agreed on your comments about '91-'93 music. '93 had some KILLER tunes, '91 anthems were TOP DRAWER! Really well made.

lixx
Regular
Regular

Post by lixx » Fri Jul 31, 2015 12:25 pm

dj jedi wrote:Sorry specifically to the old skool hardcore/jungle scene. So look at the line ups for Raindance, Moondance, Slammin Vinyl etc, all the headline DJs were big in 91-94. It doesn't matter if they can't mix very well, or don't have any records any more, or don't play sets like they used to (which applies to 90% sadly) those select few will always be the headliners while the often much better 'lower tier' DJs who either started later or simply weren't well known in 91-94 are secondary on every level (set time, money, line up placement etc.)

I don't use the term 'up and coming' any more because a) if you're not famous, you never will be and b) it's insulting to call a DJ that's been playing for 20 years up and coming.
I agree I'd much rather hear people who never 'made it' than big names coasting on their oldskool fame any day of the week. I find DJ's who never made it (or even newer guys that are super into oldskool) try much harder by really taking the time not just play anthems and most are students of the genre (who know their shit).

No one cares about fame or getting known anymore anyhow (and really would you want to listen to a DJ these days who does?). I'm glad technology/internet has sort of leveled the playing field in that respect. Unlike the past anyone can just start broadcasting on the internet these days (which is the equivalent to pirate radio back in the day).

Ornette
Old Skool Master
Old Skool Master

Post by Ornette » Sat Aug 01, 2015 7:00 am

rage wrote:A lot of the DS tapes I downloaded 320s from the original tapes thanks to OOS and have recorded them back onto vintage chrome cassettes using a bit of analog EQing and a 3 head tape deck for monitoring to get the sound perfect. Some of them sound pretty spectacular, as good if not better than the original cassettes I would imagine!
This is an interesting post. I've wondered about the mastering on old cassette studio/event tapes for some time, like, how they often seem to have a warm, saturated sound to them.

What is it about them that makes them like that, do you know? :biggrin:

deebom
Oldskool Raver
Oldskool Raver

Post by deebom » Mon Aug 03, 2015 7:53 pm

Tape recordings were and always will be the best type of recording.

rage
Old Skool Don Daddy
Old Skool Don Daddy

Post by rage » Wed Aug 05, 2015 3:41 pm

I don't think I could choose between 92 and 93, my two favourite years by far. I mix 93 a lot more at the moment but 92 has so many magical tunes.

Phantasy at DSIV another great set :)

rage
Old Skool Don Daddy
Old Skool Don Daddy

Post by rage » Wed Aug 05, 2015 3:44 pm

Ornette wrote:
rage wrote:A lot of the DS tapes I downloaded 320s from the original tapes thanks to OOS and have recorded them back onto vintage chrome cassettes using a bit of analog EQing and a 3 head tape deck for monitoring to get the sound perfect. Some of them sound pretty spectacular, as good if not better than the original cassettes I would imagine!
This is an interesting post. I've wondered about the mastering on old cassette studio/event tapes for some time, like, how they often seem to have a warm, saturated sound to them.

I think it gives the whole sound a fresh mix down, the tunes, mic, crowd, everything. I can think of a few tunes (not many) that sound better on the mix tape, when I've got the vinyl through they sound tame in comparison!

Restless
Old Skool Don Daddy
Old Skool Don Daddy

Post by Restless » Thu Aug 06, 2015 4:04 pm

deebom wrote:Tape recordings were and always will be the best type of recording.
There's something raw about them that just can't be matched or captured by any other format.

I used to love getting a mixtape, no, not a file or soundcloud link (take note, hipsters!) as it would literally send my mind into overdrive wondering how good it might be.

Besides, getting a tape from a venue was the holy grail back in the day. Love it!

Cd's etc sound way too clean for my liking.

Thrash
Oldskool Raver
Oldskool Raver

Post by Thrash » Thu Aug 06, 2015 5:34 pm

Restless wrote:
deebom wrote:Tape recordings were and always will be the best type of recording.
There's something raw about them that just can't be matched or captured by any other format.
Totally agree with this. Only downside was when they got chewed up or even worse, snapped.

Ornette
Old Skool Master
Old Skool Master

Post by Ornette » Tue Aug 11, 2015 7:28 am

rage wrote:
Ornette wrote:This is an interesting post. I've wondered about the mastering on old cassette studio/event tapes for some time, like, how they often seem to have a warm, saturated sound to them.

I think it gives the whole sound a fresh mix down, the tunes, mic, crowd, everything. I can think of a few tunes (not many) that sound better on the mix tape, when I've got the vinyl through they sound tame in comparison!
That was exactly what I was thinking, when I posted that! But there be something more to it than just the format, no?

Just wondering if there was some sort of standard processor they used to put these things through, during the mastering

dj jedi

Post by dj jedi » Tue Aug 11, 2015 8:49 am

Often tunes sound better on lives mixes because the microphone takes in some of the ambient noise which gives it a slight delay/reverb/echo effect. In fact I know that some tape packs I've been on have had the ambient sound recorded alongside the mix even though there were no MCs to capture that sound. This one if you're interested, you can hear talking all the way through it:

https://soundcloud.com/edd-jedi/dj-jedi ... d-may-2005

You can achieve the same with a home mix by adding a bit of reverb. Many old skool tracks were made on very basic equipment with little or no effects, so a little reverb makes them sound a lot better.

Traffic Cone
The Messiah of the 21st Century
The Messiah of the 21st Century

Post by Traffic Cone » Tue Aug 11, 2015 1:35 pm

i think as well, tunes can sound better in mixes if the timing is right in a set - the excitement of a breakdown hitting at the right point in a set, especially if you can hear the reaction.

i can also imagine that a lot of the audio artefacts on tape suit hardcore more than other music too, in the same way that breakbeats often sound rougher when a bit crusty (for home listening that is, maybe less so on a big soundsystem)
Restless wrote:(take note, hipsters!)
what? i think the hipsters love cassettes these days! more about fetishising the authenticity or nostalgia.

i personally don't miss them that much, despite having similarly great memories of my favourite tapes. much of my music taste even now was shaped by buying old Technodrome (and later oldskool Dreamscape) packs off Ebay in the early 2000s.

i think just cos i remembeer how exciting it was to first have an ipod and be able to fast forward stuff, have everything in one place, and not have to constantly be buying batteries :D

nor would my most played mp3s have the ink wear off them so you didn't know what they were any more (that might just be North tapes admittedly)

Fizza
Oldskool Raver
Oldskool Raver

Post by Fizza » Fri Sep 04, 2015 4:47 pm

Semi bumping this, but I just released a mix on Beatport mixes that some might want to see if it fits their idea of what to look for in an old skool mix.. or not lol :)

http://mixes.beatport.com/mix/uk-92-era ... mix/203395