Your 3 favourite venues of all time?

Old Skool chat, tune discussions.
No tape packs or mix tape posts in the forum please!
Restless
Old Skool Don Daddy
Old Skool Don Daddy

Your 3 favourite venues of all time?

Post by Restless » Wed Jul 22, 2015 2:09 pm

In your "Raving" lifetime, which three venues are/were your favourite and why?

dj jedi

Re: Your 3 favourite venues of all time?

Post by dj jedi » Wed Jul 22, 2015 2:44 pm

1) The Manor, Ringwood - nothing else like it. Country house in the middle of nowhere, 2 massive main rooms and a couple of smaller rooms, situated in an old house full of places to explore. Because it was a pain to get to it always had a great sophisticated crowd (not in the bad way) even at the hardcore nights. My favourite venue by a mile.

2) Enzo's, Salisbury - similar to the above, but not as big. It's still there (is part of a hotel) but is rarely used these days, Adrenalin/Electric Kingdom did a reunion there a few years back.

3) The Drome - 1999-2002 before the refurb, this place was amazing. The best 'warehouse' experience in London since the good old days.

Paul Zykotik
Old Skool Don Daddy
Old Skool Don Daddy

Post by Paul Zykotik » Wed Jul 22, 2015 3:45 pm

The Drome is number 1 by far. As Jedi says, before the refurb it was a hellish dirty sweatbox and all the better for it, with crumbling walls revealing random little rooms. Basically a licensed squat party. Raindance was of course superb but my favourite events there were the Antiworld nights. Hard trance, psytrance and acid techno all night and most of the following day, just the sort of parties that I couldn't wait to experience once I moved to London.

My second and third choices are both Edinburgh based - Studio 24 and The Venue. The former was like a miniature version of the Drome and the latter was a little cleaner but still had that sweatbox feel.

AtomSmasher
Old Skool Master
Old Skool Master

Post by AtomSmasher » Wed Jul 22, 2015 6:28 pm

Not really rave venues, but:

1. Club UK - pretty grimey and as close to a rave that a 'club' could get: Seemed posh at the time though!
2. The Cross - Small and sweaty with lots of 'beautiful people'. Everyone was always up for a good night though.
3. Turnmills - Spent a good few nights here in my 'latter years'. Wicked selection of different nights.

Honourable mention to Oscars in Clacton for filling the Saturday nights when we weren't going anywhere else.......

dj jedi

Post by dj jedi » Thu Jul 23, 2015 9:11 am

Paul Zykotik wrote:The Drome is number 1 by far. As Jedi says, before the refurb it was a hellish dirty sweatbox and all the better for it, with crumbling walls revealing random little rooms. Basically a licensed squat party. Raindance was of course superb but my favourite events there were the Antiworld nights. Hard trance, psytrance and acid techno all night and most of the following day, just the sort of parties that I couldn't wait to experience once I moved to London.
Did you go to this event there in 2001?

Stormtrooper and I played an old skool set in one of the small rooms, but it was mainly trance/techno/house etc, proper squat party atmosphere like you say. Was great!

Paul Zykotik
Old Skool Don Daddy
Old Skool Don Daddy

Post by Paul Zykotik » Thu Jul 23, 2015 10:52 am

I remember the flyer but I didn't go the party itself, although it shows perfectly the kind of nights the Drome used to host.

Reminiscing a bit more I'm reminded that there was a series of doors running along the side of the main arch which opened out on to the street. Occasionally when it got too hot in there they'd open them up for a few minutes. When it was about 9 or 10 in the morning you'd have broad daylight flooding in and the occasional tourist looking in with complete shock on their face :lol:

Restless
Old Skool Don Daddy
Old Skool Don Daddy

Post by Restless » Thu Jul 23, 2015 2:05 pm

1) Air.

Unbelievable venue! State of the art, every floor felt like a club within it's self, and the atmosphere I've experienced there for raves such as HTID has been arguably the best I've ever witnessed.

2) Que Club.

Again, the atmosphere at this place when the party is in full swings electric! Love the venue, too, what with the maze-like corridors etc. I've had some amazing nights there.

3) The Royal Bath & West Showground.

Went to "Westfest" here back in 2004 - Unreal night! Brilliant venue as well. Loved it!

Ric
He never locked his car door
He never locked his car door

Post by Ric » Thu Jul 23, 2015 2:08 pm

Academy, Plymouth. Nice old theatre so plenty laser tunnel fun on the dress circle plus it was the first place I ever went.

Orange at Busby's underneath Astoria. I found the crowd warmer in here than Astoria. Spent a lot of 92 in this place.

Milwaukee's. Bass to liquefy your organs. Always full of silly people.

dj jedi

Post by dj jedi » Thu Jul 23, 2015 3:50 pm

Must admit I wasn't blown away by Que when I went there in May. I like 'theatre' clubs but there are better ones eg The Opera House/O2 Academy in Bournemouth. The amount of corridors/seated areas left the arenas quite empty at times, I can't imagine the license allows for the dancefloors AND other spaces to be completely packed. The sound was terrible too, but I appreciate that can vary.

Restless
Old Skool Don Daddy
Old Skool Don Daddy

Post by Restless » Thu Jul 23, 2015 5:41 pm

dj jedi wrote:Must admit I wasn't blown away by Que when I went there in May. I like 'theatre' clubs but there are better ones eg The Opera House/O2 Academy in Bournemouth. The amount of corridors/seated areas left the arenas quite empty at times, I can't imagine the license allows for the dancefloors AND other spaces to be completely packed. The sound was terrible too, but I appreciate that can vary.
Fair point.

I've been to a few Flashbacks there when every room has been rammed (chill out included), and it's gone off big style!

The seated areas used to be rammed at one point, maybe they stopped people going there? I do remember walking down the corridor and opening this door to the main room and it was literally like opening the door to another planet! Haha, was ace.

The sound used to be friggin awesome, but they just haven't moved with the times (still use a Vestax mixer! Haha) like other clubs. It's never going to be Fabric!

Thrash
Oldskool Raver
Oldskool Raver

Post by Thrash » Thu Jul 23, 2015 6:45 pm

Sterns - Can't believe nobody has mentioned this place? The best club in the country in 1992 without doubt.

Club UK - Best club in the country in 1994/1995

West Point - Went to 3 big raves here so I suppose it has to be included just for nostalgia. Sound system could have been better at all three though.

All my humble opinion of course.

Paul Zykotik
Old Skool Don Daddy
Old Skool Don Daddy

Post by Paul Zykotik » Thu Jul 23, 2015 9:20 pm

All that talk of the seating at the Que Club made me realise that I hadn't even considered The Fridge in Brixton. What a club. Three things that made it stand out for me:

- The big gantry running across the top of the main room, which you could clamber on to and watch the party below
- The cafe, literally slapbang next to the madness in the main room, yet was a quiet little chillout where you could sit with a cup of tea and gurn away
- Blocking off the stage for the 'live' act, who would normally play around 1am, then opening the stage up. This meant it got packed with people dancing, looking down at the people dancing on the floor below them, who were looking back up - with both sets urging each other on to party harder. Made for an amazing atmosphere.

Then it got refurbished, they closed the upstairs and changed the cafe into a second dancefloor. It was never the same :(

smeagol
Old Skool Don Daddy
Old Skool Don Daddy

Post by smeagol » Thu Jul 23, 2015 10:04 pm

Sterns..best club of all time .. Bar non..those who went ..know...
Rhythm station alder shot...happy happy days
Sanctuary Bletchley..so many happy memories

Favourite crisps? Wot sits!

Restless
Old Skool Don Daddy
Old Skool Don Daddy

Post by Restless » Thu Jul 23, 2015 11:06 pm

Surprised it took so long to mention The Sanctuary! That's a legendary venue.

Same goes for The Eclipse in Coventry!

gingerninja
Oldskool Raver
Oldskool Raver

Post by gingerninja » Fri Jul 24, 2015 2:00 am

Que Club, loved that place in the 90's

First base, Wolverhampton, so different loved it

Sanctuary, So many great events.