OLDSKOOL BASS HELP

Old Skool chat, tune discussions.
No tape packs or mix tape posts in the forum please!
DJJOSHB
Lurker
Lurker

OLDSKOOL BASS HELP

Post by DJJOSHB » Tue Jul 14, 2015 8:09 pm

Need some really in depth help/info on how bass was created for oldskool tracks, what records they may of sampled off for that bass or what they used to create it, i am really struggling with the bass side of my tracks, i just dont no what too look for, from the bass from nookie - give a little love to the plucking kind of bass from bizzare inc - am gonna get you

MikeW
He never locked his car door
He never locked his car door

Re: OLDSKOOL BASS HELP

Post by MikeW » Tue Jul 14, 2015 8:40 pm

The bass in the Nookie tune is just a basic sine or triangle wave - you should be able to get that from any synth without much messing around.

The Bizarre Inc tune uses a famous preset sound from the old Yamaha DX100 synth:

http://www.vintagesynth.com/yamaha/dx100.php

It's called Solid Bass, you should be able to find samples of it fairly easily around the web.

RonWellsJS
Oldskool Raver
Oldskool Raver

Post by RonWellsJS » Tue Jul 14, 2015 9:47 pm

DJJOSHB wrote:Need some really in depth help/info on how bass was created for oldskool tracks, what records they may of sampled off for that bass or what they used to create it, i am really struggling with the bass side of my tracks, i just dont no what too look for, from the bass from nookie - give a little love to the plucking kind of bass from bizzare inc - am gonna get you
As per the previous answer...

Use either sine, triangle or square wave and close down the low pass filter for solid bass - use envelope to give it attack/punch or to soften/round it. Add some sawtooth waveform to add mid-band presence. Any decent analogue or digital synth will have one or more of those waveforms and they all have envelope.

I mainly used to use either; Roland Juno 106, Roland D5 (D110), Roland SH101 for subs and detuned square waves with envelope on the Roland JX8-P for tubular tech/house bass

DJJOSHB
Lurker
Lurker

Post by DJJOSHB » Tue Jul 14, 2015 10:29 pm

Amazing help really appreciate it!! any record names famous for sampling the bass pm me so i can try sampling and creating my own, cheers.

renegadegenius
Nicolas Parsons
Nicolas Parsons
Location: Bat Beat Vol 2 - It's Still Here!!!! (as are a few copies of Vol 1)

Post by renegadegenius » Wed Jul 15, 2015 6:25 am

DL :
(You just need to chop the samples up - all recorded in C - 44.1khz 32bit)

http://www.mediafire.com/download/n5t2l ... ass123.zip

dj jedi

Post by dj jedi » Wed Jul 15, 2015 8:12 am

A lot of the 93-95 jungle tracks also used an 808 kick played a couple of octaves lower.

DJJOSHB
Lurker
Lurker

Post by DJJOSHB » Thu Jul 16, 2015 7:45 am

Really helpful thanks everyone