Mythology & Perception

Old Skool chat, tune discussions.
No tape packs or mix tape posts in the forum please!
DJ ABO
The Messiah of the 21st Century

Mythology & Perception

Post by DJ ABO » Thu Jun 18, 2015 6:29 pm

I never went to any of these, they looked like big events but barely get a mention in amongst the Fantazia, Universe, Amnesia, Dreamscape's etc. I like the Mythology & Perception flyers.

So did anyone on here go to these events? Or have you got a set from any of their events that you rate?

Thrash
Oldskool Raver
Oldskool Raver

Re: Mythology & Perception

Post by Thrash » Thu Jun 18, 2015 7:56 pm

The early Perception events were supposed to be legendary (90/91) but by '92 they were usurped by the likes of Fantazia, Universe etc. I went to Perception 'Real Dream' in June '92 which was dreadful, particularly as it was after Fantazia Summertime & we chose Perception ahead of Dreamscape 4 the week earlier.

My second biggest regret of my raving career that one but Perception was closer & outdoors so on paper looked better.

Never went to either Mythology event but didn't sound to me like they were events that people still talk about much today.

Chris Griffin also did the Vision events so you can read into that what you will. Sounded like it became more about maximising the cash by not delivering what was promised on the flyers by 1992.

Elusive9T2
Nicolas Parsons
Nicolas Parsons

Post by Elusive9T2 » Fri Jun 19, 2015 5:30 am

I went to perception in may 91
My first proper big outdoor rave
I really enjoyed that

The first mythology was in my town, walking distance from my house
And that was very good too

Elusive9T2
Nicolas Parsons
Nicolas Parsons

Post by Elusive9T2 » Fri Jun 19, 2015 5:34 am

The mythology tapes are decent, I had the ratty one, musically the sets were top notch on the night

DJ ABO

Post by DJ ABO » Fri Jun 19, 2015 6:10 am

Thrash, don't worry about dreamscape 4 mate...the sets weren't very good that night....
doh!!

Dave that was a touch you living that close to the event.

Nice one for the replies, it's good to hear people's stories.

Thrash
Oldskool Raver
Oldskool Raver

Post by Thrash » Fri Jun 19, 2015 7:01 am

DJ ABO wrote:Thrash, don't worry about dreamscape 4 mate...the sets weren't very good that night....
doh!!
The whole outdoor vibe was much more attractive at that point in time though. My faith was restored at Book Of Love later that month. Unfortunately with Perception it was just a stage in a field (as opposed to a stadium or speedway track), the speaker stack blew on one side half way through the night, it was cold & drizzly & worst of all, the pills were a bit shit!

DJ Chance
Old Skool Don Daddy
Old Skool Don Daddy

Post by DJ Chance » Fri Jun 19, 2015 8:28 am

Thrash wrote:
DJ ABO wrote:Thrash, don't worry about dreamscape 4 mate...the sets weren't very good that night....
doh!!
the pills were a bit shit!
We got to the root cause in the end! :)

ian saunders remix
Oldskool Raver
Oldskool Raver

Post by ian saunders remix » Fri Jun 19, 2015 9:11 am

Chris Griffin was a right shady one though. Not paying artists, skipping out without paying venues etc etc etc. I think it's why some of the Vision events were in Aberdeen, far away from the people he'd ripped off in England. Moved to Oz to run Fantazia over there (I *think* he used to run the Trance events in Cheltenham with James Fantazia in the pre-Fantazia days).

Came back put on one or 2 events under the name "Devotion" in Cardiff, then set up God's Kitchen.

Paul Zykotik
Old Skool Don Daddy
Old Skool Don Daddy

Post by Paul Zykotik » Fri Jun 19, 2015 9:31 am

ian saunders remix wrote:Came back put on one or 2 events under the name "Devotion" in Cardiff
Both of those looked excellent, heard a lot about the first one but nothing about the second.

The first sticks in my mind because the flyer made a big deal of having a full size replica of a B52 bomber hanging from the ceiling. Photos from the event showed it was an inflatable 747 which looked about 5 metres long. Reminded me of Stonehenge from Spinal Tap.

Thrash
Oldskool Raver
Oldskool Raver

Post by Thrash » Fri Jun 19, 2015 11:33 am

DJ Chance wrote:
Thrash wrote:
doh!!
the pills were a bit shit!
We got to the root cause in the end! :)
Never helped did it... Quite unusual in summer '92 as well. The weather certainly didn't help either as it was cold & damp!

wigs
Regular
Regular

Post by wigs » Sat Jun 20, 2015 6:56 pm

Heres a Mythology profile posted on the Fantazia site that they obviously nicked from somewhere else ;)
Mythology Profile

Mythology was formed by Chris Perception who previously had run Perception one of the innovator at the start of the legal rave scene. The first mythology made money. The second broke even after it failed to sell out. On the night of the 2nd party Chris was approached by a London promoter who offered to sell him the license for a 20,000 people rave at Popham Airfield also in Berkshire.

After some licensing problems with the local council and disagreements over the financial backers behind Mythology, Chris felt it would be better to do this new event at Popham under a new brand and therefore Vision was born

Events:

Mythology - Return Of A Legend (1 May 92)
Mythology - Strength To Strength (29 May 92)

Mythology Review Lower End Farm, Waterstock

Put on my raving shoes and I boarded the car, parked up a where the land is mud in the middle of the pouring rain. However, a detail like the weather cannot deter the 'ardcore, can it?

Mythology happened in Basingstoke, a place that no-one I knew could tell me where it was , thank heavens for the directional signs. Once discovered though, disappointment was not an issue. That is, except for the back stage moaners, 'those dancers are shit' or 'but there ain't no lasers' or 'the sound ain't doing it' were the most common gripes, so I have to ask myself why bother coming? Do people in the business ever just say, 'Sod it, I'm gonna have a good time'. Four thousand fiver hundred paying ravers see it from a different angle. Yes, it did take time to warm up but by 3am the gaff was rockin'.

Admittedly none of the jocks on the night performed to the best of their ability. Mickey Finn and his MC got seriously pissed off with Praga Khan's road crews rude interruptions. Grooverider felt moved to give the sound technician the elbow a few times but these problems aside not one DJ settled down to give their best.

Toxic II's PA showed their success has been built on the shaky foundations of PWL's hype. Praga Phan however, were (how best to put this), bizarre, gothic even, neo-fascist in their routines, still highly watch able and providing the best tunes of the night. It has to be said that Techno still has one over break beats at these big outside events.

On the whole the Mythology organisers did their best, security Top Guard was efficient if not speedily rewarded and did a good job. As these days outdoor rave are becoming a rare species, count your blessings. A word to the wise, g-g-g-funky, g-g-g- get down. Oh, and by the way, Roger Cook, eat my love hearts.

wigs
Regular
Regular

Post by wigs » Sat Jun 20, 2015 7:01 pm

Heres a picture from Perception 1991 I scanned from Mixmag..

Looks pretty good!

AtomSmasher
Old Skool Master
Old Skool Master

Post by AtomSmasher » Sat Jun 20, 2015 8:11 pm

wigs wrote:Heres a Mythology profile posted on the Fantazia site that they obviously nicked from somewhere else ;)
Mythology Profile

Mythology was formed by Chris Perception who previously had run Perception one of the innovator at the start of the legal rave scene. The first mythology made money. The second broke even after it failed to sell out. On the night of the 2nd party Chris was approached by a London promoter who offered to sell him the license for a 20,000 people rave at Popham Airfield also in Berkshire.

After some licensing problems with the local council and disagreements over the financial backers behind Mythology, Chris felt it would be better to do this new event at Popham under a new brand and therefore Vision was born

Events:

Mythology - Return Of A Legend (1 May 92)
Mythology - Strength To Strength (29 May 92)

Mythology Review Lower End Farm, Waterstock

Put on my raving shoes and I boarded the car, parked up a where the land is mud in the middle of the pouring rain. However, a detail like the weather cannot deter the 'ardcore, can it?

Mythology happened in Basingstoke, a place that no-one I knew could tell me where it was , thank heavens for the directional signs. Once discovered though, disappointment was not an issue. That is, except for the back stage moaners, 'those dancers are shit' or 'but there ain't no lasers' or 'the sound ain't doing it' were the most common gripes, so I have to ask myself why bother coming? Do people in the business ever just say, 'Sod it, I'm gonna have a good time'. Four thousand fiver hundred paying ravers see it from a different angle. Yes, it did take time to warm up but by 3am the gaff was rockin'.

Admittedly none of the jocks on the night performed to the best of their ability. Mickey Finn and his MC got seriously pissed off with Praga Khan's road crews rude interruptions. Grooverider felt moved to give the sound technician the elbow a few times but these problems aside not one DJ settled down to give their best.

Toxic II's PA showed their success has been built on the shaky foundations of PWL's hype. Praga Phan however, were (how best to put this), bizarre, gothic even, neo-fascist in their routines, still highly watch able and providing the best tunes of the night. It has to be said that Techno still has one over break beats at these big outside events.

On the whole the Mythology organisers did their best, security Top Guard was efficient if not speedily rewarded and did a good job. As these days outdoor rave are becoming a rare species, count your blessings. A word to the wise, g-g-g-funky, g-g-g- get down. Oh, and by the way, Roger Cook, eat my love hearts.
This is possibly the worst piece of copy i've ever read. I hope whoever wrote it didn't get paid.....

smeagol
Old Skool Don Daddy
Old Skool Don Daddy

Post by smeagol » Sun Jun 21, 2015 2:57 pm

Me and two mates had tickets to go to mythology
The same day a girl id been after at school asked me oyt on a date!@
What do u do?
Well i choose to go on the date which amounred to nothing and my mates saidcthey
Had the best time
Huh i thought id get a little bit , and gave up my ticket what a knobend