Photek/Truper Box Set from Basement

Old Skool chat, tune discussions.
No tape packs or mix tape posts in the forum please!
silky
Oldskool Raver
Oldskool Raver

Re: Photek/Truper Box Set from Basement

Post by silky » Fri Sep 25, 2015 8:13 am

This isn't totally directed at Phil, but money ruins a lot of good things in life which is such a shame.

It really is a rip off to pay £60 which ever way you look at it. I mean correct me if I am wrong but is there a missing "T" in the "Street Beats" sticker on the actual record?

It should be an absolute privilege in this day and age to still be able to put out music on Vinyl.

I honestly feel bad for good people having to fork out so much. Like Elusive said with regards to the Skanna Repress which was done in a professional, meticulous way and at half the cost. It's a no brainer.

And as for the artist getting paid for the fruits of their labour........... NO ARTIST = NO MUSIC!!!!

Elusive9T2
Nicolas Parsons
Nicolas Parsons

Post by Elusive9T2 » Fri Sep 25, 2015 9:49 am

dj_gyr8 wrote:
Having said that, its only 18k, so after costs, more like 10k... Not worth it...
You're kidding right, that is half a years wages for me

dj jedi

Post by dj jedi » Fri Sep 25, 2015 9:53 am

I imagine it's over a years wages for 99% of full-time music producers!

RonWellsJS
Oldskool Raver
Oldskool Raver

Post by RonWellsJS » Fri Sep 25, 2015 4:08 pm

"Never sue a man of straw"
dj_gyr8 wrote:Hi,

Surely, if Parkes own's the rights to his material, then all he need do is sue, right?

Having said that, its only 18k, so after costs, more like 10k... Not worth it...

There is a 2nd triple-album, so I wonder if that is still coming out?

RonWellsJS
Oldskool Raver
Oldskool Raver

Post by RonWellsJS » Fri Sep 25, 2015 4:11 pm

£10k won't cover the legal fees, nowhere near. That's how and why 'small time hustlers' exist.

Elusive9T2 wrote:
dj_gyr8 wrote:
You're kidding right, that is half a years wages for me

oz
He never locked his car door

Post by oz » Fri Sep 25, 2015 9:39 pm

Wasn't too sure about this due to the price originally but due to the high price of the originals I thought why not.
Received copy this week and came on here to discuss it. Bit disappointed to read about how it was done.
If anyone is thinking about it I would say they seem excellent quality and tbh for three vinyls a CD and two slipmats £60 is steep but not outrageous.

Elusive9T2
Nicolas Parsons
Nicolas Parsons

Post by Elusive9T2 » Fri Sep 25, 2015 10:05 pm

oz wrote:Wasn't too sure about this due to the price originally but due to the high price of the originals I thought why not.
Received copy this week and came on here to discuss it. Bit disappointed to read about how it was done.
If anyone is thinking about it I would say they seem excellent quality and tbh for three vinyls a CD and two slipmats £60 is steep but not outrageous.
This is why I'm torn about buying it, I want the tracks & I don't want to pay £300 plus for the originals

smeagol
Old Skool Don Daddy
Old Skool Don Daddy

Post by smeagol » Sat Sep 26, 2015 3:17 pm

There's talk on discogs these are vinyl rips and not from dat, is that true??

Adam Timeless
The Messiah of the 21st Century
The Messiah of the 21st Century

Post by Adam Timeless » Sat Sep 26, 2015 7:55 pm

Elusive9T2 wrote:
dj jedi wrote:Seen lots of comments about this over the last few days on Facebook/Discogs etc implying that Photek indeed isn't getting a cut of this. I must admit although I'm happy to own it, I feel a little dirty having paid £60 for it and 0% going to the artist. I assumed that the high price was due to the licensing cost as Photek is massive these days, that's why I sometimes have to slightly increase the price of my own vinyl releases. But to charge £60 for a 3x12" album (£20 per record!) is an absolute pisstake if none of the money is going to the artist IMO.
We all do our releases at £10 a copy with the artists getting paid upfront for a licence
I really want The Truper boxset, but £60 is too much, especially reading that

Considering Will just released a triple pack of Skanna tracks for £30, it puts this into perspective
I missed out on the pre-orders, it was personally too much for me. I bought all (well most of) the 92 Retro, Sublogic/KVA, 7th Storey etc stuff which is the proper way to do represses (unreleased stuff). Everyone gets paid for their work and the punters get the product at a fair price as well.

oz

Post by oz » Sat Sep 26, 2015 8:20 pm

Elusive9T2 wrote:
oz wrote:Wasn't too sure about this due to the price originally but due to the high price of the originals I thought why not.
This is why I'm torn about buying it, I want the tracks & I don't want to pay £300 plus for the originals
Best to buy them now rather than wait and see the repress sell for stupid money. There's an interesting story on the vinyl sleeves about Phil chatting to Rupert and offering him cash to improve his studio in turn for some tracks. I suppose, in a way, photek owes him. Doesn't make it right though.
Not sure about being vinyl rips, sound good to me.

smeagol
Old Skool Don Daddy
Old Skool Don Daddy

Post by smeagol » Sat Sep 26, 2015 8:47 pm

Richruffcut
Oldskool Raver
Oldskool Raver

Post by Richruffcut » Sat Sep 26, 2015 9:45 pm

Yep I think these are vinyl rips. I got mine this morning put on vol 1 a side and heard the pop/click straight away. Gutted! but the overall sound is not to bad. I am going to check the cd at some point and im pretty sure the pops people are talking about on it are in the same place as the vinyl.

Ive got a theory: Maybe he did not have the dats but Photek had them and at first agreed for them to be used. Then Photek pulls the plug half way through for whatever reason leaving him without dats and without the Photek name and a very long wait for the item to be sent out?

This is only a guess at what could've happened and i don't want to piss anyone off but i was a little bit mythed this morning

If im wrong about it being a v rip i apologise

oh and also it was a very tatty item for a new release! Moan over move on and enjoy the tunage

smeagol
Old Skool Don Daddy
Old Skool Don Daddy

Post by smeagol » Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:11 pm

Tbth I don't think much of the truper series anyway , it's very bukem esque , and never really liked bukems music anyway ,
94 jungle is currently flavour of the month , and because these are very limited releases , good or not , peeps are just jumpin on the bandwagon , I still say breakdown was the best choon Rupert parkes ever made, as a "track" it pisses all over the tRuper intelligent boring releases

dj_gyr8
Old Skool Don Daddy
Old Skool Don Daddy

Post by dj_gyr8 » Mon Sep 28, 2015 8:28 am

Hi,

Not had a chance to listen to mine yet...

Will be a bit disappointed if simply vinyl rips, and find it strange nobody with the TP's mentioned this!

I only got this so I don't have to play the originals, as I know its expensive to replace them...

dj jedi

Post by dj jedi » Mon Sep 28, 2015 1:28 pm

I think listening to the CD is going to be the only way to guess if it's a vinyl rip. It's impossible to tell listening to vinyl, even a brand new vinyl has a lot of surface noise on the silent parts, if you look at the wave form of a vinyl rip you can tell straight away. If these were sourced from DAT then the CD version should be perfect.

Dirt does not cause clicks and pops on DATs, it causes corruption as mentioned above. Some of the tracks on the Fantazia DATs I got suffered from it. DATs are digital so nothing can affect the sound.

Personally I think it sounds good, I got the TP set and would have said if it sounded shit.