Anybody thought about selling up and going digital?

Old Skool chat, tune discussions.
No tape packs or mix tape posts in the forum please!
Eyeski3000
Regular
Regular
Posts: 27
Joined: Thu May 07, 2015 4:48 pm

Re: Anybody thought about selling up and going digital?

Post by Eyeski3000 » Thu May 28, 2015 7:44 am

Restless wrote:
So do i mate! Great feeling! There really was no DJ-Related equipment as well built as a Technics deck. None.
That's the thing, I'm a lazy sod and technics just work and work and work without me needing to do much, a part from a dusting and oil sometimes.

Eyeski3000
Regular
Regular
Posts: 27
Joined: Thu May 07, 2015 4:48 pm

Re: Anybody thought about selling up and going digital?

Post by Eyeski3000 » Thu May 28, 2015 8:29 am

dreamweave wrote:Wouldn't bother if you don't have to. I got a new Pioneer mixer last year with built it Traktor to use with my Technics. To be honest I used it a lot when I first bought it but haven't really used it for digital mixing for months now the novelty has worn off. As you mention the disconnection of simply dragging and dropping MP3's got the better of me and in the last few months, I have bought more vinyl than ever. Going digital is convenient but not as fun.
Cheers mate, just what I think will happen to me. :lol: Altho, It would be nice to have a 4ch mixer with usb for recording my sets instead of using my studio interface.

smeagol wrote:Never
Digital sux cox
Guess digital is not your cup of tea then :lol:

User avatar
deebom
Oldskool Raver
Oldskool Raver
Posts: 329
Joined: Thu Feb 02, 2012 10:41 am

Re: Anybody thought about selling up and going digital?

Post by deebom » Fri May 29, 2015 6:54 pm

I've had Serato for a couple of years now and barely use it. I always pull out the records, which is odd because I have a fucking huge collection of MP3s. Pretty much every tune I ever desired in the past is on my hardrive. I have shitloads of new stuff too, but always go for the vinyl when I turn on my decks. Looking for the next tune in a pile of records is just a part of the mixing experience for me.

User avatar
dreamweave
Old Skool Master
Old Skool Master
Posts: 1363
Joined: Thu May 30, 2002 6:26 pm
Location: Bournemouth
Contact:

Re: Anybody thought about selling up and going digital?

Post by dreamweave » Sat May 30, 2015 9:17 am

Eyeski3000 wrote:
dreamweave wrote:Wouldn't bother if you don't have to. I got a new Pioneer mixer last year with built it Traktor to use with my Technics. To be honest I used it a lot when I first bought it but haven't really used it for digital mixing for months now the novelty has worn off. As you mention the disconnection of simply dragging and dropping MP3's got the better of me and in the last few months, I have bought more vinyl than ever. Going digital is convenient but not as fun.
Cheers mate, just what I think will happen to me. :lol: Altho, It would be nice to have a 4ch mixer with usb for recording my sets instead of using my studio interface.

smeagol wrote:Never
Digital sux cox
Guess digital is not your cup of tea then :lol:
I think it would be different for a dj that is starting out that does not have a record collection, then yeah go for it but may be see if you can pick up a cheap second hand controller and see if in six months time if you are still using it or not. I got my Pioneer mixer as it had loads of functions and cool stuff to play with, again, looks great but never going to use it! Not sure if Pioneer are still making it but its a DJM-T1...

si 2 bad
Oldskool Raver
Oldskool Raver
Posts: 340
Joined: Sun Aug 05, 2007 6:40 pm

Re: Anybody thought about selling up and going digital?

Post by si 2 bad » Sun May 31, 2015 6:24 am

Sold a few bits of vinyl, but I pretty much have all of it still.
I do not DJ for a living - it is for fun and I have had some great times doing it but I HAD to go digital. It is so much less grief carrying a rucksack and laptop with 1000's of tunes at your disposal. I use effects, loops etc etc and love that part of it. I done my "apprenticeship" with decks and loved that too.
If you are in a position to keep decks, vinyl and also play around with digital - go for it!!

User avatar
pinhead1000
Old Skool Master
Old Skool Master
Posts: 1407
Joined: Sat Feb 05, 2005 8:02 pm
Location: midlands

Re: Anybody thought about selling up and going digital?

Post by pinhead1000 » Sun May 31, 2015 6:46 am

i sold all my vinyl years ago went the controller route got bored within 6-8 months got me some more 1210's tried serato got bored of that aswell and started buying vinyl again and will never sell and go digital again ;)

Eyeski3000
Regular
Regular
Posts: 27
Joined: Thu May 07, 2015 4:48 pm

Re: Anybody thought about selling up and going digital?

Post by Eyeski3000 » Sun May 31, 2015 2:12 pm

dreamweave wrote:I think it would be different for a dj that is starting out that does not have a record collection, then yeah go for it but may be see if you can pick up a cheap second hand controller and see if in six months time if you are still using it or not. I got my Pioneer mixer as it had loads of functions and cool stuff to play with, again, looks great but never going to use it! Not sure if Pioneer are still making it but its a DJM-T1...
Yeah, I see it in those terms with starting out.

I might do that, good idea.

I did look into a controller mixer, but it seems too complex for a simpleton like me.

Just a side note, I owned a DJM250 for one day and took in back because it was rubbish and had a bad PSU and the shop I got it from didn't believe me lol

User avatar
eazyflow
Old Skool Don Daddy
Old Skool Don Daddy
Posts: 2518
Joined: Sat May 10, 2003 1:25 pm
Location: Hull

Re: Anybody thought about selling up and going digital?

Post by eazyflow » Sun May 31, 2015 3:59 pm

Played on a few midi-controllers and to me they all felt shit.

CD decks can fuck off as well.

I'm not against digital mixing per se, but I need turntables for it to feel right. I went down the Serato route last year and made the rule for myself that all 'new'music I buy will be digital, but anything older than 2010 still needs to be strictly vinyl for me. Old skool music should only ever be played the old skool way sorta thing...

Of course if I were a working DJ travelling around playing sets then that would be different as circumstances would force the change. But I gotta be honest when I hear DJ's playing old skool on midi-controllers and doing loops etc, I don't like it. Hearing old skool music being mixed with modern techniques doesn't sit right for me, that's only a personal thing mind and I realise how irrational it is :D

User avatar
lentrix
Old Skool Don Daddy
Old Skool Don Daddy
Posts: 3658
Joined: Tue Aug 06, 2002 3:49 pm
Location: london

Re: Anybody thought about selling up and going digital?

Post by lentrix » Mon Jun 01, 2015 2:58 pm

im thinking of getting a traktor S1/2. I can easily pick one up on ebay.

As others have mentioned, getting the MP3's is a pain. Having to rip 600+ tunes (A&B sides and all the EP's ) will take forever.

You can buy a block of oldskool tunes on CD on ebay, but i don't know what thery're like quality wise.

User avatar
AtomSmasher
Old Skool Master
Old Skool Master
Posts: 1693
Joined: Mon Jul 09, 2007 7:38 pm
Location: Watford. Unfortunately!
Contact:

Re: Anybody thought about selling up and going digital?

Post by AtomSmasher » Mon Jun 01, 2015 8:00 pm

What are the best DJ controllers that you can also use as mixers with turntables?

Matt
Regular
Regular
Posts: 56
Joined: Sun Feb 03, 2002 5:18 pm
Location: Lincs

Re: Anybody thought about selling up and going digital?

Post by Matt » Tue Jun 02, 2015 11:46 am

AtomSmasher wrote:What are the best DJ controllers that you can also use as mixers with turntables?
Serato Scratch live I think?
You use your normal turntables/mixer but have an extra box to plug in and you mix normally with special vinyl that emulates the real thing.

Never tried it but seems to be far and away the best digital soultion whilst kind of keeping 'hands on' with the turntables.

User avatar
AtomSmasher
Old Skool Master
Old Skool Master
Posts: 1693
Joined: Mon Jul 09, 2007 7:38 pm
Location: Watford. Unfortunately!
Contact:

Re: Anybody thought about selling up and going digital?

Post by AtomSmasher » Tue Jun 02, 2015 7:46 pm

Matt wrote:
AtomSmasher wrote:What are the best DJ controllers that you can also use as mixers with turntables?
Serato Scratch live I think?
You use your normal turntables/mixer but have an extra box to plug in and you mix normally with special vinyl that emulates the real thing.

Never tried it but seems to be far and away the best digital soultion whilst kind of keeping 'hands on' with the turntables.
Yep - Sorry, I meant a controller with extra 'inputs' so I can connect the decks into it as well (and use vinyl as well as files)......

djdeeenbee
Regular
Regular
Posts: 146
Joined: Fri Nov 09, 2007 6:08 pm

Re: Anybody thought about selling up and going digital?

Post by djdeeenbee » Tue Jun 02, 2015 10:34 pm

AtomSmasher wrote:
Matt wrote:
AtomSmasher wrote:What are the best DJ controllers that you can also use as mixers with turntables?
Serato Scratch live I think?
You use your normal turntables/mixer but have an extra box to plug in and you mix normally with special vinyl that emulates the real thing.

Never tried it but seems to be far and away the best digital soultion whilst kind of keeping 'hands on' with the turntables.
Yep - Sorry, I meant a controller with extra 'inputs' so I can connect the decks into it as well (and use vinyl as well as files)......
Definitely the Pioneer DDJ SX2 or DDJ SZ, both you can also upgrade so that you can use your decks for the Serato as well if you wish.

Locked