Anybody thought about selling up and going digital?

Old Skool chat, tune discussions.
No tape packs or mix tape posts in the forum please!
Eyeski3000
Regular
Regular

Anybody thought about selling up and going digital?

Post by Eyeski3000 » Tue May 26, 2015 11:22 pm

As the title say's...

Moving out of my home at short notice, I realized that moving vinyl, decks, mixer, keyboards, speakers, etc... was a big hassle and made me feel really sad. I felt like I was owned by them, that I had to do my best for them, rather then my own well being.

I can't believe I gonna say this, but I wouldn't mind recording my vinyl and going digital with something like this...

This stuff is strange to me, but it looks damn sweet.

(Prepares for backlash!) :lol: :lol: :lol: :-^

Fizza
Oldskool Raver
Oldskool Raver

Re: Anybody thought about selling up and going digital?

Post by Fizza » Wed May 27, 2015 12:17 am

No, I think you'll find the tide has turned, and did quite a while ago, I would say the volatility of a lot of the second hand vinyl markets, especially dance/breakbeat oriented ones can be attributed in a large part to lots of people doing exactly this. Lots of old school hip hop/electro that would be going for $10+ is now occupying $2 territory and there's a glut of them in a lot of the listings on discogs.

I would personally suggest to go ahead and record your stuff, but don't sell it, not that it matters to many but you become 'illegal' if you go ahead and record and sell, but that's not the main aspect of it for me, I just still like having the originals to hand. I finally have gotten around to the process of digitizing my stuff, but have no plans to sell unless I need to. I have to say though that I've found Serato/digital all a bit underwhelming overall but I've really yet to give it a serious workout as my set up is currently configured for recording, but having your stuff recorded great for sample digging..

My advice is when recording is to do it once and do it properly, take the time to get it right factoring levels/noise/stylus etc..

Eyeski3000
Regular
Regular

Post by Eyeski3000 » Wed May 27, 2015 7:44 am

I didn't think about the illegal part of it, good point. Who would you pay for a new wav copy of a tune you've owned for 20+ years on vinyl if you don't have the vinyl anymore..? I mean, I know some old labels have itunes, etc to sell you the tunes, but how would they ever know? I know it sounds cheeky, but we shouldn't even be playing the vinyls on the radio or doing mix tapes if that was enforced to the letter. Hell, if i record all my vinyl releases, I could sue myself lol That's my opinion tho.

I wouldn't sell my wax or technics and would take time to record my vinyl, but I think it would take so long, it will be an on going project as you say.

Another thing I'm worried about is the disconnection of the format. I think with most controllers I've seen you have a laptop or desktop with software on a screen and all your music in folders that you go thru and pick. I love the idea of picking a disc out of my stand and putting it on. Maybe I should record some bits and buy a cheaper controller for now and see if I can get along with it. I saw this unit and it seems to be a newer version of a well known unit and only around £170.

Thanks for the reply dude.

BrianBadonde
Oldskool Raver
Oldskool Raver

Post by BrianBadonde » Wed May 27, 2015 8:16 am

'Illegal'

Haha, whoever gets sand in their vagina about recording your own vinyl and selling can go bollox. (Not aimed at you Fizza by the way)

Recording your records is LONG. Took me 6 hours solid to record, tag and file about 9 bloody records the other day.

dj jedi

Post by dj jedi » Wed May 27, 2015 8:56 am

Agreed recording your own vinyl is not an option unless you want to spend literally months doing it. It's much better to buy compilation CDs or download albums where you get 20+ tracks for £5, it's more economical than spending your own time ripping and mastering 20 records.

There are pros and cons - I have a decent selection of digital music that is not available on vinyl, mostly new stuff but also some unreleased old stuff. So to play those I have Traktor Scratch. However on the other hand there is far more stuff available on vinyl but not digital so you either need to rip your own or go without. So personally I like having both.

Selling up is hard work, as above 90% of records are unsellable now, there just aren't as many buyers as there used to be. Your best bet is sell the big money tunes separately (anything sought after worth £10+) and then sell the rest in small bulk lots. You will never sell an entire collection individually these days.

So if space is an issue my advice is keep your favourite vinyl and get rid of the stuff you don't need or can easily get digitally.

Restless
Old Skool Don Daddy
Old Skool Don Daddy

Post by Restless » Wed May 27, 2015 9:00 am

Nope, never have and never will.

1) Way too many memories attached to them to do so.
2) I'd rather get a second job if I needed the cash/put them in an unused room.
3) If I was to move somewhere, I'd just get an all-in-one like the OP posted and leave the vinyl at my parents house.

And besides, there is something FASCINATING about having a record collection that NO AMOUNT of digital can ever replace.

LOON-E
Old Skool Don Daddy
Old Skool Don Daddy

Post by LOON-E » Wed May 27, 2015 10:26 am

Agreed Restless..i got as far as buying a usb deck a few yr ago..think ive used it once

LOON-E

dj_gyr8
Old Skool Don Daddy
Old Skool Don Daddy

Post by dj_gyr8 » Wed May 27, 2015 10:36 am

Hi,

Go digital if you're doing international gigs, and DJing is your actual job.

Otherwise, just keep your vinyl, and ENJOY!

Eyeski3000
Regular
Regular

Post by Eyeski3000 » Wed May 27, 2015 10:41 am

Yeah, Edd, I have lots of CD's with single full tracks I could use I guess. Recording my own records would take a long time and I only have a smallish amount.

Yes, Restless, I know what you mean :cool: It's not that I can't afford to keep them, or the space. It's just something I've been looking at for a while now. I might get a small dj controller for my unreleased stuff to play out with, but I don't know. I like my vinyl, a lot, half of them are batted and the some labels and covers are manky, etc, but I still love em... and my technics are 10 years from new and my babies.

I remember getting my 1210'a and sighing, in a good way.

Eyeski3000
Regular
Regular

Post by Eyeski3000 » Wed May 27, 2015 10:42 am

dj_gyr8 wrote:Hi,

Go digital if you're doing international gigs, and DJing is your actual job.

Otherwise, just keep your vinyl, and ENJOY!
Yeah, sounds like a good idea, cheers, gyr8.

The_Ruffneck
Old Skool Master
Old Skool Master

Post by The_Ruffneck » Wed May 27, 2015 11:10 am

the all in ones look cheap and nasty
just keep your decks and use serato with control vinyl

Restless
Old Skool Don Daddy
Old Skool Don Daddy

Post by Restless » Wed May 27, 2015 12:17 pm

Eyeski3000 wrote:Yeah, Edd, I have lots of CD's with single full tracks I could use I guess. Recording my own records would take a long time and I only have a smallish amount.

Yes, Restless, I know what you mean :cool: It's not that I can't afford to keep them, or the space. It's just something I've been looking at for a while now. I might get a small dj controller for my unreleased stuff to play out with, but I don't know. I like my vinyl, a lot, half of them are batted and the some labels and covers are manky, etc, but I still love em... and my technics are 10 years from new and my babies.

I remember getting my 1210'a and sighing, in a good way.
So do i mate! Great feeling! There really was no DJ-Related equipment as well built as a Technics deck. None.

Traffic Cone
The Messiah of the 21st Century
The Messiah of the 21st Century

Post by Traffic Cone » Wed May 27, 2015 2:44 pm

Oh man I know where you're coming from. I've got to move in a few months and I'm already thinking about how to get rid of a lot of my stuff that's on sale, how much to slim my collection down by...cos it becomes a very practical concern. And without a car even just shifting a couple of hundred tunes somewhere other than the bin is a hassle.

Not even just about money, but even just the space: my record collection and the expedit i have to hold it is the bulk of my possessions, really :D it's a big factor when i'm thinking about when i'm looking for a new flat for instance.

So I would advise really thinking about why you want to have it, and to really be honest with yourself. It can be quite easy to hold onto stuff because of memories, when actually what you get from keeping them might not be really worth it (if it's an obstacle elsewhere). How often do you mix? What actual impact would it have if you didn't have it?

The answer's very personal of course. I'm no collector so I can't really empathise with the idea of wanting to "have" something just for the sake of it - but that's not necessarily the correct or most healthy way for everyone. But, it is worth considering carefully. I think it's quite easy for us to just assume how we feel about something - that we definitely shouldn't do it, because of what it once meant...but it's about what it means to you NOW.

You might find that when you still have access to listen to your music, and are still making your own music, that you don't really miss having the actual physical objects to play...

So yeah I think there are valid reasons to do it (other than just financial). I'm sure I will at some point. Just not quite yet...

dreamweave
Old Skool Master
Old Skool Master

Post by dreamweave » Wed May 27, 2015 7:17 pm

Wouldn't bother if you don't have to. I got a new Pioneer mixer last year with built it Traktor to use with my Technics. To be honest I used it a lot when I first bought it but haven't really used it for digital mixing for months now the novelty has worn off. As you mention the disconnection of simply dragging and dropping MP3's got the better of me and in the last few months, I have bought more vinyl than ever. Going digital is convenient but not as fun.

smeagol
Old Skool Don Daddy
Old Skool Don Daddy

Post by smeagol » Wed May 27, 2015 7:33 pm

Never
Digital sux cox