Ever had a named DJ live near you?

Old Skool chat, tune discussions.
No tape packs or mix tape posts in the forum please!
ian saunders remix
Oldskool Raver
Oldskool Raver

Re: Ever had a named DJ live near you?

Post by ian saunders remix » Sun May 31, 2015 10:55 am

c_funk wrote:why? i wouldnt want to live anywhere else, unless this relentless getrification destroys every bit of soul it has then i would move out
Nice place to visit, but I think I'd go potty living there.

c_funk
Nicolas Parsons
Nicolas Parsons

Post by c_funk » Sun May 31, 2015 1:00 pm

haha fair enough but thats how i feel about living somewhere else quiet! i spent 5 weeks travelling NZ in January and whilst it was beautiful I thought i would go potty living in most of the places there

Restless
Old Skool Don Daddy
Old Skool Don Daddy

Post by Restless » Sun May 31, 2015 7:29 pm

No way could I live in London. For the most part, it's a complete and utter dive.

AtomSmasher
Old Skool Master
Old Skool Master

Post by AtomSmasher » Sun May 31, 2015 10:44 pm

jamsco99 wrote:
Devious Dame wrote:not "big name DJs" but some top producing talent from round here in Ipswich

Photek
Digital & Spirit
E-Z Rollers

closest DJ's to me were Ray Keith down the road in Colchester and Force & Styles in Clacton
dave lee (joey negro) also in clacton
I used to live in Colchester - just around the corner from 'The Cambridge Arms' where Ray Keith used to play BITD.
And one of my mates went to school with Force and/or Styles......

dj jedi

Post by dj jedi » Mon Jun 01, 2015 8:47 am

Restless wrote:No way could I live in London. For the most part, it's a complete and utter dive.
Well you can say that about any city. Central London certainly isn't "for the most part" a dive, for the most part it's the most expensive and luxurious property on the planet :lol: There are of course council estates in Chelsea, Camden, Islington etc but there are in every other city too.

ian saunders remix
Oldskool Raver
Oldskool Raver

Post by ian saunders remix » Mon Jun 01, 2015 8:50 am

c_funk wrote:haha fair enough but thats how i feel about living somewhere else quiet! i spent 5 weeks travelling NZ in January and whilst it was beautiful I thought i would go potty living in most of the places there
Sounds great! I'd really love to live in the middle of nowhere...as long as it had a pub of course.

lentrix
Old Skool Don Daddy
Old Skool Don Daddy

Post by lentrix » Mon Jun 01, 2015 2:41 pm

Andy C lives round the corner to me ....

Restless
Old Skool Don Daddy
Old Skool Don Daddy

Post by Restless » Mon Jun 01, 2015 4:09 pm

dj jedi wrote:
Restless wrote:No way could I live in London. For the most part, it's a complete and utter dive.
Well you can say that about any city. Central London certainly isn't "for the most part" a dive, for the most part it's the most expensive and luxurious property on the planet :lol: There are of course council estates in Chelsea, Camden, Islington etc but there are in every other city too.
You are talking about a minority.

There's MANY more dives than there is luxurious areas in London.

I hate how people get sensitive when people say London is a dive. Get over it!

RonWellsJS
Oldskool Raver
Oldskool Raver

Post by RonWellsJS » Mon Jun 01, 2015 4:37 pm

Restless wrote:

I was born in London and lived the first 30 years of my life there.

I can confirm that in the main you are correct, mainly because wherever you are, even Buckingham Palace, you are never more than 1 mile away from a dive.

I used to believe that it was the best place on Earth and then I started travelling and quickly learning how deluded I was.

I love the sticks.

:-)

(however, it is a great place to visit)

rage
Old Skool Don Daddy
Old Skool Don Daddy

Post by rage » Mon Jun 01, 2015 4:55 pm

London is what you make of it, all depends where you are in your life and what you want out of it. Having lived in Bournemouth for the last 10 years (which is a lovely place, just kinda limited) I would happily move back there and enjoy all the variety it has to offer. I certainly wouldn't call it a dive.

Restless
Old Skool Don Daddy
Old Skool Don Daddy

Post by Restless » Mon Jun 01, 2015 5:45 pm

RonWellsJS wrote:
Restless wrote:

I was born in London and lived the first 30 years of my life there.

I can confirm that in the main you are correct, mainly because wherever you are, even Buckingham Palace, you are never more than 1 mile away from a dive.

I used to believe that it was the best place on Earth and then I started travelling and quickly learning how deluded I was.

I love the sticks.

:-)

(however, it is a great place to visit)
My thoughts exactly, Ron. Great for a day out/weekend, but that's about it.

c_funk
Nicolas Parsons
Nicolas Parsons

Post by c_funk » Mon Jun 01, 2015 7:04 pm

im not getting protective, as mentioned most other big towns/cities all have their 'dive' areas, i personally like that about london all the different communities living side by side. different colours and smells everywhere. i actually grew up in Kent and after many years raving in london moved up here so you cant say that i am blinkered in that its all i know.

can you define what a 'dive' is for me and whats so negative about this area you have in your head?

Restless
Old Skool Don Daddy
Old Skool Don Daddy

Post by Restless » Mon Jun 01, 2015 8:33 pm

c_funk wrote:im not getting protective, as mentioned most other big towns/cities all have their 'dive' areas, i personally like that about london all the different communities living side by side. different colours and smells everywhere. i actually grew up in Kent and after many years raving in london moved up here so you cant say that i am blinkered in that its all i know.

can you define what a 'dive' is for me and whats so negative about this area you have in your head?
Each to their own, but that's not me.

Why would I want to live around scumbags, nice people and everything in between? It's one or the other for me, and it's always decent people in a well to-do area that I want to live in, as I've lived in bad dives to mint areas and I much prefer the latter.

Richruffcut
Oldskool Raver
Oldskool Raver

Post by Richruffcut » Mon Jun 01, 2015 9:03 pm

I live in a really well off place at the mo and there are plenty of wankers about just as many as in a place someone might call a dive. My point being rich people in nice areas can be c***s as well.

c_funk
Nicolas Parsons
Nicolas Parsons

Post by c_funk » Tue Jun 02, 2015 7:24 am

Do you realise what a snob you sound? Jesus christ. Gimme normal working class people over pretentious keeping up with the Jones' everytime!

I look after my son full time at the minute and somtimes I walk up to Balham and Clapham (which are very well to do areas) for some childrens group amd I go mad with some of the shit I over hear from the posh mums, I cannot wait to get back to another childrens centre in one of these so called 'dives'.

Well to do areas with every high street looking the same, chain restaurants or shops, all carbon copy people everywhere. Nah i'm alright I will stick with the 'dives' with all their independent and family run businesses thanks.

You still haven't defined what your 'dive' actually is? Do you mean poor people? colourful people? I really hope not.
I also have lived in a posh area before and I couldnt stand a lot of the people around me, personally I felt they had all their priorities in life completely wrong.

Another point that was well made earlier is the one regarding London is what you make of it. This is so true. As an example, I admit Streatham had a bad rep in the 70's and 80's, but for us personally it meant we got more property for our money when we bought it before all the prices went through the roof, I have a lovely common 3 mins from my doorstep with a beautiful art deco swimming lido in it. Tooting is a 15 min walk down the road which has some of the best curry houses in London and the UK. If you go the other way theres Brixton which I love going to to buy fresh fish and for the nighlife. Also within 15 min walk from me I have 3 overground train stations a tube station and countless bus routes so getting out of my 'dive' is not problem. Sorry to ramble on but you talk about London when obivously you know anything about it.