If you could have a peak in one DJ's collection...

Old Skool chat, tune discussions.
No tape packs or mix tape posts in the forum please!
nebkins
Old Skool Don Daddy
Old Skool Don Daddy

Re: If you could have a peak in one DJ's collection...

Post by nebkins » Thu May 28, 2015 11:32 am

There are people on here and other forums or people that don't post on any forums that will have word class hardcore/jungle collections. Much better than most "old skool" DJ's collections.

PS I don't include my own collection in this as it is far too eclectic and not narrowed in on hardcore/jungle (even though i do have a lot of those records).

dj_gyr8
Old Skool Don Daddy
Old Skool Don Daddy

Post by dj_gyr8 » Thu May 28, 2015 2:19 pm

Hi,

Ian didn't work in Movement, but did buy it and rename it Adrenalin...

Good point made above, it wasn't just one album, there were countless, all with the same tracks on, and many sold internationally also.

A small number of people owned pretty much all the tracks one way or another...

Talking of Movement, was funny seeing jocks with no shop anymore, like Vinylgroover, come in to buy vinyl... Also funny how James Zabielia worked in there for years, always trying to push stuff like Layo and Bushwacka, which for me was too boring...

I wonder if I'll ever grow to like Tech House...

ian saunders remix
Oldskool Raver
Oldskool Raver

Post by ian saunders remix » Fri May 29, 2015 7:58 am

RonWellsJS wrote:
Even that sounds a bit on the high side to me, but much nearer reality. I've been on countless comps and cannot ever remember receiving £3k from one of them.
OK, in total Bonkers 3 sold around 100k, so I reckon over the years he's made around 15k from it.

Most compilations came nowhere near that amount of sales, so the figure will probably be a lot lower for other artists.

lentrix
Old Skool Don Daddy
Old Skool Don Daddy

Post by lentrix » Mon Jun 01, 2015 2:49 pm

Bassment Phil reckons he's got about 60k+ - i wouldn't mind getting involved in that lot !!!!

sasarchiver
New User
New User

Post by sasarchiver » Thu Jul 09, 2015 8:06 pm

Carl cox

Sent from my CnM-TP-7DC-8-B using Tapatalk

pete.devnull
Old Skool Master
Old Skool Master

Post by pete.devnull » Wed Jul 15, 2015 12:32 am

What Nebkins said is true. At this point not even sure I'd be as excited to dig through a top name "classic" DJ's collection.... if it had to be still-active DJs, I'd be curious to see what someone like Ratty still had kicking around in the way of old dubs and dats? Guessing he prob has a bunch of stuff he isn't even playing out regularly, though he could have sold/gotten rid of stuff at some point too. Bukem would be high up the list too, maybe above Ratty, as far as OG and still-active DJs goes.

Assuming we can expand this to collectors though, there's at least one person on here w/ a collection that I'd love to know the full extent of, but they make it a point not to brag about or even publicly discuss their collection (the anti-gyr8!), which piques my curiosity even more.

Other than that, would obv kill to dig through some of Lee's crates, especially since I got a feeling it's already honed down to almost only SUPER rare / unreleased / tip top tunes, including plenty only he has. Would be cool to hear a bunch of that all at once to see which of those rarer-than-anything tracks truly stand out and are lost gems vs what's obscure for a reason.

Other people on here whose collections I'm curious about - Will (Sublogic), Adrian / Outlaw-A, Leon / mr geese, etc. I guess those last 2 post their collections on discogs so could lurk them there, never tried it though / feels a bit lame "e-digging" that way.

dj_gyr8
Old Skool Don Daddy
Old Skool Don Daddy

Post by dj_gyr8 » Wed Jul 15, 2015 4:05 pm

Hi,

In reality, anyone on here is only gonna be interested in a DJ who was a top jock throughout the 90's - who got given all the TPs and dubs, but (this is big but) also kept them all...

also, how many people are interested in slightly diff versions of tracks, or unreleased tracks that are naff anyway...

pineappletribe
Old Skool Don Daddy
Old Skool Don Daddy

Post by pineappletribe » Wed Jul 15, 2015 4:21 pm

John Peel :cool:

deebom
Oldskool Raver
Oldskool Raver

Post by deebom » Sat Jul 18, 2015 6:37 am

I had the pleasure of going through Mikey Finns, and Dj Raps back in the day.

pete.devnull
Old Skool Master
Old Skool Master

Post by pete.devnull » Sat Jul 18, 2015 11:25 pm

dj_gyr8 wrote: also, how many people are interested in unreleased tracks that are naff anyway...
Me! Naffer the better

LOON-E
Old Skool Don Daddy
Old Skool Don Daddy

Post by LOON-E » Sun Jul 19, 2015 3:09 pm

Clarkee and Loftgroovers.. Just to be different for me, most of the harder/gabba/speedcore/techno 94 onwards i have that they spun but pre then id like too see what they had...havnet spoke too Rich (Clarkee) in yrs and...havent seen/spoke too Lofty for a couple of yrs since the last rez night but think theyd both have some very intretsing bits from way back when..Deebom..i was gonna mention Mr Mickey Finn..i would imagine he has (if he kept everything) a collection of epic proportions

LOON-E

LOON-E

LOON-E

Traffic Cone
The Messiah of the 21st Century
The Messiah of the 21st Century

Post by Traffic Cone » Tue Jul 21, 2015 11:22 pm

pretty sure Loftgroover would have sold his tunes from the 90s.

in that i've heard more than one person say they saw him at a late 90s/early 00s gig buy a bunch of tunes from a record stall at the rave, which then made up his set that night :biggrin:

i think if we're talking interesting collections in that end of the scene, i'd say Simon Underground surely. and similarly Mark N. i'm sure they both have all their more interesting records still, too.