Do you guys collect anything...

Old Skool chat, tune discussions.
No tape packs or mix tape posts in the forum please!
LOON-E
Old Skool Don Daddy
Old Skool Don Daddy

Re: Do you guys collect anything...

Post by LOON-E » Tue May 12, 2015 2:56 pm

Apart from tunes..i have a healhty collection of books..mostly true life/war/Biogs..always got a book on the go...Dirty by MC FLUX atm :)
Got a few signed Manchester United bits..shirt/football/pennant/pics :)..
And Art i suppose have a K-guy signed Prodigy piece, a Luke Insect Prodigy print, a Cunni original and a Nick Dillion 1 of 2 signed canvas.
Wish id keep all my old video/pc gaming stuff,yours look quality Jedi..amongst my amiga 500+..amstrads etc i had a Dragon 32 wbitd..remember them?..used to spend hrs playing a Hienkel bomber game on it :)

LOON-E

c_funk
Nicolas Parsons
Nicolas Parsons

Post by c_funk » Tue May 12, 2015 4:10 pm

good shout on trainers, i used to have a thing for obscure air max 90's but havent got a new pair since the little one came along. def on the cards next month as i have pair of trainers still going and they are on the way out. had a brief foray into air max 1's but they are just not as comfortable

Restless
Old Skool Don Daddy
Old Skool Don Daddy

Post by Restless » Tue May 12, 2015 4:50 pm

@ Jedi - Do you play games on that computer? If so, what are they?

God I'd love an old set-up again.

AtomSmasher
Old Skool Master
Old Skool Master

Post by AtomSmasher » Tue May 12, 2015 5:27 pm

dj jedi wrote:
deebom wrote:Trainers. I have around 70ish pairs, old Air Jordans, Adidas Torsions, various other Adidas from the 70s and 80s, loads of Dunlop Greenflash.
Nice, I have several pairs of Jordan VI in my favourite colours. Have always loved them since getting a pair of the black/infrared ones back in 1992. Sadly I can't pull them off any more so they just sit in the boxes, but I love smelling them now and again :smile:
I always liked Jordan 4 and 5 better. My wife won't let me have a pair though!

MikeW
He never locked his car door
He never locked his car door

Post by MikeW » Tue May 12, 2015 7:09 pm

dj jedi wrote:It's an Amiga 4000, you certainly could produce on it, quite a lot of back in the day producers used Amiga's instead of Atari's (Shy FX, Urban Shakedown, Red Alert & Mike Slammer to name a few.) But you need outboard hardware too so I just use my laptop to produce on these days. I just play games on it :)
Sure you can produce on just the Amiga - 4 channels @ 8 bit with 1MB RAM to play with... Just uploaded one of my first ever tunes the other day (don't laugh!!)

https://soundcloud.com/mikewarren1/captain-scarlet

LOON-E
Old Skool Don Daddy
Old Skool Don Daddy

Post by LOON-E » Tue May 12, 2015 7:37 pm

How was that not a hit Mike??..awesome work :)..not taking the piss either..i bet that took some doing//and time on that kit bitd compared too making it in say ableton now :)

LOON-E

deebom
Oldskool Raver
Oldskool Raver

Post by deebom » Wed May 13, 2015 3:11 am

dj jedi wrote:
deebom wrote:Trainers. I have around 70ish pairs, old Air Jordans, Adidas Torsions, various other Adidas from the 70s and 80s, loads of Dunlop Greenflash.
Nice, I have several pairs of Jordan VI in my favourite colours. Have always loved them since getting a pair of the black/infrared ones back in 1992. Sadly I can't pull them off any more so they just sit in the boxes, but I love smelling them now and again :smile:

Same here, I only like Jordan III IV V, but do feel a little silly wearing them these days, so mine sit around in boxes too. I'm thinking of selling them as they can fetch quite a bit of money. I sold a pair of Jordan IVs last year for £250 and put the money towards a new bike.

dj jedi

Post by dj jedi » Wed May 13, 2015 8:40 am

MikeW wrote:Sure you can produce on just the Amiga - 4 channels @ 8 bit with 1MB RAM to play with... Just uploaded one of my first ever tunes the other day (don't laugh!!)

https://soundcloud.com/mikewarren1/captain-scarlet
Nice one Mike, yes I knew you can make tunes with only the Amiga but as you say 4 channels, 8 bit. I don't think that's enough to make something release worthy, but as your example shows its still a capable machine! I think Urban Shakedown used two hooked together to get 8 channels for Some Justice.
Restless wrote:@ Jedi - Do you play games on that computer? If so, what are they?
The Amiga was the most popular home computer in the late 80s and early 90s, it was far bigger than the PC at the time. Sadly it died out in 1994 and Microsoft and later Apple took over the home computer market. There are loads of classic Amiga games, it rivalled the SNES and Megadrive back then. Some of my favourites are:

Monkey Island 1 & 2
Cannon Fodder
Dynablaster (Bomberman on the SNES)
Simon the Sorcerer
Doom
Lemmings
Sensible Soccer

There are thousands of games for it. This is a pretty good list and agrees with most of my choices :smile:

http://www.lemonamiga.com/games/votes_list.php

smeagol
Old Skool Don Daddy
Old Skool Don Daddy

Post by smeagol » Wed May 13, 2015 7:54 pm

I collect fusion and quest and interdance tapes
And pictures and photos of sophie reade

rage
Old Skool Don Daddy
Old Skool Don Daddy

Post by rage » Wed May 13, 2015 8:16 pm

Since joining the Amiga group on FB I've been so tempted to buy one, but I can just imagine how much of a money pit it would become! As much as I would love one I think the sensible thing to do is just remember the memories and admire them from afar. I do love them though, the only computer I felt genuine affection for! Saying that I do love my iPhone.

I dont collect much else, Stussy T shirts I guess, been buying them since 92 but don't have many of my old ones. Still got the very first one I bought though :) Got a few games consoles, SNES and PS1,2,3,4.

Records are my obsession, I love everything about them. They are such a tie and a pain to look after but year after year they are always there, I couldnt imagine life without them but at some point soon I would like to put them somewhere safe so I can go abroad for a couple of years with a USB stick full of them and not have to worry about them. I dont want to become old and regret missing out on life because Ive spent all my time and money dedicated to my hobby.

dj jedi

Post by dj jedi » Wed May 13, 2015 8:26 pm

It can be a money pit, but it doesn't have to be. You could buy an Amiga 1200 and this processor/RAM upgrade card for well under £200 all in:

http://amigakit.leamancomputing.com/cat ... ts_id=1002

And you'd have a machine capable of doing 99%. It only gets silly expensive when you go after the rare machines (A3000T, A4000T) and the vintage processor and expansion cards. If you want one I say go for it, I bought my Amiga 4000 a couple of years ago and still use it practically every day! Was playing Beaneath a Steel Sky just earlier today :smile: I had my original Amiga 1200 in the early 90s so for me its as much a part of my teenage years as rave music was. Here's a better shot of mine if you're interested:
amiga4000.jpg

rage
Old Skool Don Daddy
Old Skool Don Daddy

Post by rage » Wed May 13, 2015 8:42 pm

She's a beauty! Yeah if I was going to buy one I'd get a 1200 mate. I'm always on eBay looking for the perfect one but keep talking myself out of it! The prices are going up and up. I had a 500 back in the 90s but having read up on them it seems the 1200 is the best of the non-pro models with all the upgrades available. Can't you just move back to Bournemouth so I can play on yours? :D Would love a good Kick Off 2 battle for old times sake.

It was majorly a part of my early teenage years too, I was a total computer nerd as a kid. I must have had my 500 from 1989 til 1993 though it had a keyboard fault in its last couple of years which severely damaged the experience as I had started getting into demo making. I then sold it to a school mate for peanuts who bought a new keyboard for it and it worked fine, to this day I'm distraught that I hadn't thought of doing that! By this point I had discovered girls and turntables though so computers had taken a back seat, I never really rediscovered that love for them that I had as a youngster.

I'm getting a macbook pro when the new one comes out to start production so hopefully I'll enjoy spending time on them again!

Restless
Old Skool Don Daddy
Old Skool Don Daddy

Post by Restless » Thu May 14, 2015 1:49 pm

smeagol wrote:I collect fusion and quest and interdance tapes
And pictures and photos of sophie reade
How many tapes have got? How often do you buy them?

@ Jedi - Cheers for the link to that list - some memories, man! How much would it cost me to get an Amiga? Which one do you/is in that pic?

dj jedi

Post by dj jedi » Thu May 14, 2015 2:10 pm

Restless wrote:@ Jedi - Cheers for the link to that list - some memories, man! How much would it cost me to get an Amiga? Which one do you/is in that pic?
The Amiga 500 or 600 are the cheapest, you can pick them up on eBay for about £25. However to run games from a hard disk (assuming you don't want to bugger about with floppy disks in 2015!) you need at least 8MB RAM, and most Amiga's only come with 1MB or 2MB. This is where as Rage pointed out the expense comes in, RAM upgrades are quite expensive (they used to cost hundreds of pounds back in the 90s and have not got any cheaper.) So with that in mind the best compromise of price and performance is an Amiga 1200 with the upgrade board I linked above, which would cost you about £150-£200 in total. Then you just need to add a small hard disk which is only £10-20, and away you go. Most people use Compact Flash drives as hard disks as they are cheap and 4GB is plenty for an Amiga. You can download pretty much every game ever made here:

http://whdownload.com/games.php?name=%&sort=0&dir=0

Mine is an Amiga 4000, they tend to sell for £3-400 as they are the most expandable ones, but the A1200 setup I mention above will play 99% of the old games, you only need a really beefy one if want to play later games like Doom and Quake.

Restless
Old Skool Don Daddy
Old Skool Don Daddy

Post by Restless » Thu May 14, 2015 2:27 pm

Cheers mate. ;-)