Comments from artists of sampled records

Old Skool chat, tune discussions.
No tape packs or mix tape posts in the forum please!
lien
B2VOS VIP 2011
B2VOS VIP 2011

Re: Comments from artists of sampled records

Post by lien » Wed May 06, 2015 12:54 pm

ian saunders remix wrote:I agree, it's why I think it's the worst version of Close Your Eyes (with or without Here Comes The Sun).
One of the tunes that got me into Hardcore. Love that version :)

dj jedi

Post by dj jedi » Wed May 06, 2015 1:06 pm

dj_gyr8 wrote:I totally agree, but I think it has all become FAR too easy for people with zero talent to jump on the band wagon. And worst of all, a lot of the rubbish actually sells....
Well you could argue that before the digital revolution all you needed to make tracks was good contacts and/or money, talent had nothing to do with it (I'm sure Ron would agree with that based on some of his experiences!)

I think it's great that now somebody with good ideas can learn music and make a track on their own cheap laptop without being mates with someone who owns a studio or buying your way in and making tea. There was a lot of shit released BITD too!

lien
B2VOS VIP 2011
B2VOS VIP 2011

Post by lien » Wed May 06, 2015 1:43 pm

RonWellsJS wrote:I don't like anyone who can't create original music and has the cheek to think they are some kind of 'new creative' hero. Relying solely on gluing other people's work together is low end.
Thats most of us bedroom producers on here... Dam, I think I'm going to have to come around your house & do this tonight :) lol

Going back on topic. I never bothered with trying to get sample clearance on any JSA tune. I was always told keep the sample heavy stuff (Sike - Julia or Inferno - Breakin, for example) not as the main track. It was only a 100 run so it was so far under the radar that no one will come looking.

I honestly think I threw away more JSA vinyl away than I sold. I kept the sleeves to replace my fucked ones on other vinyl.

dj_gyr8
Old Skool Don Daddy
Old Skool Don Daddy

Post by dj_gyr8 » Wed May 06, 2015 1:52 pm

renegadegenius wrote:
dj_gyr8 wrote:Hi,

I totally agree, but I think it has all become FAR too easy for people with zero talent to jump on the band wagon. And worst of all, a lot of the rubbish actually sells...

You can look at it from the flip-side, no point making 'real' music, if the listener only wants cheap rubbish...
Depends if you're in it for cash or for the fun of making stuff.
Hi,

Years ago, some people were in it for the money, but not many! Now though, a lot of people see it as a 'cool' thing to do, lots of youngsters doing college courses, and degrees. It has simply become 'cool', and also far too easy for non-musicians to get involved.

Don't get me wrong, I like it when people have enthusiasm, but at least make it difficult enough, to weed out all the numpties...

Thumpson
Old Skool Don Daddy
Old Skool Don Daddy

Post by Thumpson » Wed May 06, 2015 2:09 pm

Ron, it'd be interesting to hear your thoughts on this:

Great tune, but very sampletastic ;) Even the main beat is straight unedited from a Moving Shadow tune.

The whole "shameless sampling" vs "original music" debate isn't that relevant in hardcore IMO.. You could be creative or uncreative either way. The great thing was that there was no rules, if it worked then it worked.

RonWellsJS
Oldskool Raver
Oldskool Raver

Post by RonWellsJS » Wed May 06, 2015 3:21 pm

dj jedi wrote:

I think it's great that now somebody with good ideas can learn music and make a track on their own cheap laptop without being mates with someone who owns a studio or buying your way in and making tea.
Yep, I agree that this is amazing and could never have been done before the late 80s.

It's given opportunities to people and that has to be a good thing...

...but the unfortunate result is; a flooded market = less sales per tune = can't make a living... and then... "oh no, now it's not a physical product any more so anyone can copy and distribute it" = even less money.

I love digital, but its success has been a double edged sword.

RonWellsJS
Oldskool Raver
Oldskool Raver

Post by RonWellsJS » Wed May 06, 2015 3:31 pm

lien wrote:
Thats most of us bedroom producers on here... Dam, I think I'm going to have to come around your house & do this tonight :) lol
LOL Lein,

But I bet you and most on here are more than capable of writing a decent riff, you probably just need a bit of guidance... and of course the motivation to practice.

I used to read all of the studio and pro music mags every week to pick up tips from the pros. Even now, I'm learning drums (which is WAY harder than it looks) and using youtube for tips.

TBH, this mini conv is probably more of a timing thing. In the 80s you had to play your own stuff as there was no way to sample, other than use tape loops or a bit of scratchin.

If I had started out with samplers I would probably see it differently, I guess I'm a bit uptight over it and should probably get over it... the train left the station years ago, so nothing I say could ever make a difference.

:-)

RonWellsJS
Oldskool Raver
Oldskool Raver

Post by RonWellsJS » Wed May 06, 2015 3:38 pm

Thumpson wrote:Ron, it'd be interesting to hear your thoughts on this:

Great tune, but very sampletastic ;) Even the main beat is straight unedited from a Moving Shadow tune.

The whole "shameless sampling" vs "original music" debate isn't that relevant in hardcore IMO.. You could be creative or uncreative either way. The great thing was that there was no rules, if it worked then it worked.
Ahh... now you see I didn't want Martin Mayhem to do that (he would tell you that), but he insisted he wanted to use it. The difference with Martin is that he is a very talented musician. He didn't need to do it, he could have easily recreated it - he's a very good keyboard player and composer.

That's why in my post I put only to acknowledge that some people just want to use something regardless of their ability to recreate it and some others can only copy.

;-)

Thumpson
Old Skool Don Daddy
Old Skool Don Daddy

Post by Thumpson » Wed May 06, 2015 3:51 pm

RonWellsJS wrote: That's why in my post I put only to acknowledge that some people just want to use something regardless of their ability to recreate it and some others can only copy.

;-)
I get what you're saying, in any case it's the end result that really matters :)

rage
Old Skool Don Daddy
Old Skool Don Daddy

Post by rage » Wed May 06, 2015 5:37 pm

lien wrote:
ian saunders remix wrote:I agree, it's why I think it's the worst version of Close Your Eyes (with or without Here Comes The Sun).
One of the tunes that got me into Hardcore. Love that version :)
Makes two of us, I thought everyone loved that bit!

lien
B2VOS VIP 2011
B2VOS VIP 2011

Post by lien » Wed May 06, 2015 7:05 pm

RonWellsJS wrote:If I had started out with samplers I would probably see it differently, I guess I'm a bit uptight over it and should probably get over it... the train left the station years ago, so nothing I say could ever make a difference.
Never would never class myself as a real musician, always tell people I'm a "Sample Technician" which is closer to the truth. Anyone that can play an instrument I am in awe of. I did try to learn the didgeridoo a few years back.... I'll leave that for another post :)

ian saunders remix
Oldskool Raver
Oldskool Raver

Post by ian saunders remix » Wed May 06, 2015 7:17 pm

lien wrote:
RonWellsJS wrote:I did try to learn the didgeridoo a few years back.... I'll leave that for another post :)
That wasn't a didgeridoo...

pineappletribe
Old Skool Don Daddy
Old Skool Don Daddy

Post by pineappletribe » Thu May 07, 2015 8:47 am

ian saunders remix wrote:
lien wrote:
RonWellsJS wrote:I did try to learn the didgeridoo a few years back.... I'll leave that for another post :)
That wasn't a didgeridoo...
:lol:

pineappletribe
Old Skool Don Daddy
Old Skool Don Daddy

Post by pineappletribe » Fri May 08, 2015 10:40 am

RonWellsJS wrote:
dj jedi wrote:
or buying your way in and making tea.
Ha that comment has struck a nerve with me -> coz I know a few who started exactly like that!