Comments from artists of sampled records

Old Skool chat, tune discussions.
No tape packs or mix tape posts in the forum please!
jimee
He never locked his car door

Comments from artists of sampled records

Post by jimee » Tue May 05, 2015 9:52 am

Has the original artist of a sampled track ever commented on the record that was sampled? Did they hate the track, or quite like it?

For example has Beverly Cravan ever commented on 4am? Or Michael Jacson on Girl if ever etc...

Obviously who ever it was that wrote 'Walking in Memphis' went mental when they heard Raving im Raving lol (was that Cher?)

Who else? Be funny to hear their comments!

dj jedi

Re: Comments from artists of sampled records

Post by dj jedi » Tue May 05, 2015 9:56 am

Apparently the guy from LFO quite liked Nebula 2's "Atheama". And Ellis Dee was not at all happy with me for doing a mash up of Rock to the Max :oops:

ian saunders remix
Oldskool Raver
Oldskool Raver

Post by ian saunders remix » Tue May 05, 2015 10:18 am

Well, George Harrison obviously didn't like Close Your Eyes too much, but the Eurythmics liked Dave Angel's remix of Sweet Dreams.

pineappletribe
Old Skool Don Daddy
Old Skool Don Daddy

Post by pineappletribe » Tue May 05, 2015 2:08 pm

ian saunders remix wrote:Well, George Harrison obviously didn't like Close Your Eyes too much, but the Eurythmics liked Dave Angel's remix of Sweet Dreams.
I agree with George Harrison as that sample use was awful imo :biggrin:

I also applaud the Eurythmics for liking what is a genius remix! =D>

ian saunders remix
Oldskool Raver
Oldskool Raver

Post by ian saunders remix » Tue May 05, 2015 2:14 pm

I agree, it's why I think it's the worst version of Close Your Eyes (with or without Here Comes The Sun).

dj_gyr8
Old Skool Don Daddy
Old Skool Don Daddy

Post by dj_gyr8 » Tue May 05, 2015 4:11 pm

Hi,

Often, it is not the original Artist that does not like the new track, but the label worried about legal action and compensation...

Most of the time the original artist never hears their samples on the new tracks...

Often they love it, as it means royalites for them plus a big exposure, especially if the original artist has not been in the limelight for sometime.

Also depends if the artist owns their rights or not.

Think of Black Legend, that huge summer hit, "You See The Trouble With Me", once a price had been agreed, it meant loads of new exposure for Barry White, and his album sales rocketed!

Fizza
Oldskool Raver
Oldskool Raver

Post by Fizza » Tue May 05, 2015 4:29 pm

I'd agree with the above for the most part, I think artists can be generally more open minded, the nastiness comes from the label and their legal department. A good example is the dropping of Welcome To The Mardi Gras from the iconic kitchen scene where Grandmaster Flash is cutting it up in the movie Wildstyle in the DVD release, Bob James himself has stated he has no issue of it, but for some reason terms can't be reached to have it included.

Although of course, some artists are very precious over their stuff and abhor anyone doing anything other than consuming it as presented by themselves, which to be fair, is their right even if it spoils the chances of some great music being made with samples of it.

dj_gyr8
Old Skool Don Daddy
Old Skool Don Daddy

Post by dj_gyr8 » Tue May 05, 2015 4:38 pm

Hi,

I also think it depends exactly what is sampled, so when Sean Combes took the Police riff, that meant the Combes tracks was pretty much 80% the Police track, and hence a huge pay out for Mr Sumner!

Note: only Sting got the money from what was the biggest worldwide hit of the year, as only he is credited with the arrangement!

I con't remember the name of it, but a film from approx 10 years ago was re-edited just before release due to a whole scene having a track in the background that they failed to approve permission.

I think general consensus - if you ask for permission, and pay royalties - 99% of people are happy. If you don't ask - people gonna be upset!

Richruffcut
Oldskool Raver
Oldskool Raver

Post by Richruffcut » Tue May 05, 2015 6:01 pm

Quick question for Ron. Did the sample on SBH - we are the creator ever get cleared because i heard that it was/had somewhere. Would love to know who you had to talk to about clearing it and if William Shatner ever heard the tune haha. Also was it sampled from a vhs??? as there is loads of hiss with it. Still love the tune by the way.

renegadegenius
Nicolas Parsons
Nicolas Parsons
Location: Bat Beat Vol 2 - It's Still Here!!!! (as are a few copies of Vol 1)

Post by renegadegenius » Tue May 05, 2015 7:06 pm

Talking of Sting, I know Sike (from here) asked permission to use a big sample from his classic "Walking On The Moon".
He said as long as you're only pressing up around 100 copies, no problem.
Didn't even ask about royalties.

CMcDougall

Post by CMcDougall » Tue May 05, 2015 8:20 pm

Richruffcut wrote:we are the creator. Still love the tune by the way
only the creator can accomplish that =D>

Wonder if The Beatie Boys liked their samples in decent tunes, bet they hated the Happy Hardcore versions Image

RonWellsJS
Oldskool Raver
Oldskool Raver

Post by RonWellsJS » Wed May 06, 2015 6:09 am

Richruffcut wrote:Quick question for Ron. Did the sample on SBH - we are the creator ever get cleared because i heard that it was/had somewhere. Would love to know who you had to talk to about clearing it and if William Shatner ever heard the tune haha. Also was it sampled from a vhs??? as there is loads of hiss with it. Still love the tune by the way.
LOL, you don't need to clear stuff like that for an underground track selling less than 3000 copies - it wouldn't raise the funds to cover the legal fees... it's only mainstream sales that need that.

I bet Mr Shatner has never heard it, neither anyone from the film company - unless he was a secret peaker at Sterns.

:-)

PS: I used to leave the TV recording (through the headphone out) for ages and then search through for vocal snippets.

RonWellsJS
Oldskool Raver
Oldskool Raver

Post by RonWellsJS » Wed May 06, 2015 6:30 am

jimee wrote:Has the original artist of a sampled track ever commented on the record that was sampled? Did they hate the track, or quite like it?
I don't like anyone who can't create original music and has the cheek to think they are some kind of 'new creative' hero. Relying solely on gluing other people's work together is low end.

If you are a proper musician and want to recreate a piece of music you like that's fine... its called a cover version.

Using chopped loops, individual stabs and small vocal snippets are also fine...

... but taking whole riffs and passages of music is what you do when you can't write your own... if you can only do this, at least have enough self respect to stay humble.

Sorry, this subject always gets me hot under the collar, I've been consistent on this for 25 years.

People forget that samplers never used to exist... you used to have no choice but to 'do it yourself'.

;-)

dj_gyr8
Old Skool Don Daddy
Old Skool Don Daddy

Post by dj_gyr8 » Wed May 06, 2015 10:41 am

Hi,

I totally agree, but I think it has all become FAR too easy for people with zero talent to jump on the band wagon. And worst of all, a lot of the rubbish actually sells...

You can look at it from the flip-side, no point making 'real' music, if the listener only wants cheap rubbish...

renegadegenius
Nicolas Parsons
Nicolas Parsons
Location: Bat Beat Vol 2 - It's Still Here!!!! (as are a few copies of Vol 1)

Post by renegadegenius » Wed May 06, 2015 10:52 am

dj_gyr8 wrote:Hi,

I totally agree, but I think it has all become FAR too easy for people with zero talent to jump on the band wagon. And worst of all, a lot of the rubbish actually sells...

You can look at it from the flip-side, no point making 'real' music, if the listener only wants cheap rubbish...
Depends if you're in it for cash or for the fun of making stuff.