Do you like old skool? I remade them.

Old Skool chat, tune discussions.
No tape packs or mix tape posts in the forum please!
Luna-C
Regular
Regular

Do you like old skool? I remade them.

Post by Luna-C » Wed Mar 25, 2015 12:05 pm

So....I thought you guys might appreciate something I have done in my new set. I wondered if modern ravers could appreciate the original old skool tracks, seeing as modern hardcore has strayed so far from the roots...so if you have a moment, check out my new mix. The bit you might be interested in starts at 21:40. This is just a 20 minute preview of an entire set I have made of this stuff, placed within a modern set.

https://soundcloud.com/kikwear/kikwear-supaset

Basically, I rebuilt an entire set of old skool classics from scratch, keeping the original format of the tracks and using the original samples. On 4 of the 24 I have made so far, I had to use samples from the original tracks, but for the other 20 I did not sample a single thing from the original recordings. Instead I went back to the source material which I could often get in much higher quality. I copied absolutely everything as exactly and precisely as possible, from lead sounds and samples to hi hat patterns and breakbeats. The only changes I made were speeding the tracks up, applying modern studio techniques such as compression and stereo, layering sounds and beats where necessary to give the tracks the weight of modern dance music, and occasionally adding sound effects and drum edits and background noises.

The entire set has taken over 4 months to put together and has been an amazing experience both as a fan of these tracks and as a learning curve. Enjoy!

dj_gyr8
Old Skool Don Daddy
Old Skool Don Daddy

Re: Do you like old skool? I remade them.

Post by dj_gyr8 » Wed Mar 25, 2015 2:58 pm

Hi,

Awesome idea, has been done before, but not this well - very well thought through!

dj jedi

Post by dj jedi » Wed Mar 25, 2015 3:55 pm

Well definitely can't fault you for effort, as above it's all very well done. I'd be lying if I said I preferred any of them to the originals, but it's an interesting experiment. I'd be very interested to know how they go down at an upfront hardcore event, because I don't think it's just the speed of old tracks that puts off younger raves, I just don't think they get the manicness or randomness of old hardcore. They've been spoon-fed ultra-polished trance leads and pop vocals for 15 years, I don't think they would appreciate the use of film samples etc. But hey good luck with it :)

Traffic Cone
The Messiah of the 21st Century

Post by Traffic Cone » Wed Mar 25, 2015 8:07 pm

dj jedi wrote:I'd be very interested to know how they go down at an upfront hardcore event, because I don't think it's just the speed of old tracks that puts off younger raves, I just don't think they get the manicness or randomness of old hardcore.
I have actually heard a few of these at rave - last weekend just gone at Bangface Weekender. Only caught some of it (Producer was on at the same time!) but it went down pretty well! (certainly did with me)

And yeah, that's not quite the upfront hardcore rave you mean. But...demographic wise it's similar. Plenty of people born after the originals were released, at any rate. So there are kids who appreciate it, and who also listen to music that's equally, or more, manic too.

Fizza
Oldskool Raver
Oldskool Raver

Post by Fizza » Wed Mar 25, 2015 10:50 pm

Enjoyed them myself, wouldn't mind an mp3 of the full track of never lost his hardcore if available. Trip II The Moon was pretty spot on too. Someone should try to take some classic DnB and bring it down to 148bpm as effectively as this does the other way around. ;)

pete.devnull
Old Skool Master
Old Skool Master

Post by pete.devnull » Thu Mar 26, 2015 4:56 am

Think I heard you play some of these at the BF Pool Party? Not sure, I was kind of busy smashing an inflatable alligator with an inflatable mallet / trying to keep all beach balls in the air at all times.

si 2 bad
Oldskool Raver
Oldskool Raver

Post by si 2 bad » Thu Mar 26, 2015 6:23 am

Yep, he did. Nice to finally meet him and you of course Pete. Was great sitting in the bar afterwards putting the world to rights!!

pete.devnull
Old Skool Master
Old Skool Master

Post by pete.devnull » Fri Mar 27, 2015 3:28 am

Great meeting you guys, some real choice stories there! Hope the rest of the fest treated you well.
si 2 bad wrote:Yep, he did. Nice to finally meet him and you of course Pete. Was great sitting in the bar afterwards putting the world to rights!!

tha liquid

Post by tha liquid » Fri Mar 27, 2015 8:57 pm

This is pretty good and I like the amount of thought & consideration that's gone into that. Good concept. Thanks for sharing.

:D

Peace...

lentrix
Old Skool Don Daddy
Old Skool Don Daddy

Post by lentrix » Mon Mar 30, 2015 1:19 pm

Interesting effort, but not for me - too similar sounding to happy h'core.