game changer sets

Old Skool chat, tune discussions.
No tape packs or mix tape posts in the forum please!
jamsco99
Regular
Regular

game changer sets

Post by jamsco99 » Mon Mar 16, 2015 5:17 pm

following on from a previous thread about game changer tunes,
was there ever such a thing as a game changer dj set. (i am not talking about good sets, but sets which made people stand up and listen and moved the music in a whole new direction)

would dougal at dreamscape's 7 and 8 class as a game changer set as these were the first sets that i can think of that were all happy tunes?

any fabio and grooverider sets?
top buzz?

dj_gyr8
Old Skool Don Daddy
Old Skool Don Daddy

Re: game changer sets

Post by dj_gyr8 » Mon Mar 16, 2015 6:02 pm

Hi,

For people that attended raves BITD on a weekly basis, you'd not see a 'game changer' but simply progression of the tracks avaialble at the time.

Having said that...

Hype at Dreamscape 4 was pretty 'wow' at that event, and everybody seems to have it in their top 10 sets of all time... but was it a game changer - NO!

Top DJ's had to earn money, so to play a crazy set at an event would mean no future bookings.

Certain people will say sets by Ratty or Topbuzz, that that is simply due to containing tunes they liked.

You could argue most sets mid to late 94 were game changers, as DJ's had to pick which genre they would adopt, whilst a few did it over night, some struggled for months to pick one or another - Andy C for example, whilst other DJ's simply didn't pick either route, and almost vanished, like Easygroove.

Carl Cox at Dreamscape 3 was pretty 'wow', but alas, no game changer...

AtomSmasher
Old Skool Master
Old Skool Master

Post by AtomSmasher » Mon Mar 16, 2015 7:59 pm

DJ Gyr8's dubplate only set from 1992 performed on 4 decks from atop Blackpool Tower- featuring an unreleased mix of 'Valley Of The Shadows' (hand delivered by Andy C before he'd even written it), 'Sweet Harmony' (Slightly different piano mix) and a never released Prodigy track on a floppy disk that he found down his sofa (that had possibly fallen out of Liam's pocket when he was visiting). Amongst others.

tha liquid
The Messiah of the 21st Century
The Messiah of the 21st Century

Post by tha liquid » Mon Mar 16, 2015 8:02 pm

AtomSmasher wrote:DJ Gyr8's dubplate only set from 1992 performed on 4 decks from atop Blackpool Tower- featuring an unreleased mix of 'Valley Of The Shadows' (hand delivered by Andy C before he'd even written it), 'Sweet Harmony' (Slightly different piano mix) and a never released Prodigy track on a floppy disk that he found down his sofa (that had possibly fallen out of Liam's pocket when he was visiting). Amongst others.
:lol:

Peace...

Thrash
Oldskool Raver
Oldskool Raver

Post by Thrash » Mon Mar 16, 2015 8:59 pm

The Producer / DJ Tanith tape from Universe opened up a whole new world of sound in Autumn '92.

dj_gyr8
Old Skool Don Daddy
Old Skool Don Daddy

Post by dj_gyr8 » Tue Mar 17, 2015 10:40 am

AtomSmasher wrote:DJ Gyr8's dubplate only set from 1992 performed on 4 decks from atop Blackpool Tower- featuring an unreleased mix of 'Valley Of The Shadows' (hand delivered by Andy C before he'd even written it), 'Sweet Harmony' (Slightly different piano mix) and a never released Prodigy track on a floppy disk that he found down his sofa (that had possibly fallen out of Liam's pocket when he was visiting). Amongst others.
Hi,

Was actually considering doing a 'dubplate only' set for a festival this summer. Someone mentioned, "you got a lot of rare tunes..." and it made me think... Only problem is programming a set with the right genre, plus would need all tracks recording, then cleaning up, and even re-EQing... then play the set on laptop.

Annoyingly, most festivals thing its fine for DJ's to play laptop sets - saves the vinyl getting muddy!

pineappletribe
Old Skool Don Daddy
Old Skool Don Daddy

Post by pineappletribe » Tue Mar 17, 2015 11:18 am

allegedly :lol:

dj jedi

Post by dj jedi » Tue Mar 17, 2015 11:31 am

I know he was playing those tunes all through 93, but Carl Cox's Edge 93 was a massive game changer for me personally as it introduced me to bouncy techno and happy hardcore. It was the first time I'd heard tracks by Scott Brown and some of the European producers like Interactive, Space Cube and DJ PC. I think it was probably the first time I heard SMD 1 as well. I am pretty certain that if I'd never heard this set, along with his later Big Bang set, I would never have got in to happy hardcore.

Restless
Old Skool Don Daddy
Old Skool Don Daddy

Post by Restless » Tue Mar 17, 2015 4:39 pm

dj_gyr8 wrote:Hi,

For people that attended raves BITD on a weekly basis, you'd not see a 'game changer' but simply progression of the tracks avaialble at the time.

Having said that...

Hype at Dreamscape 4 was pretty 'wow' at that event, and everybody seems to have it in their top 10 sets of all time... but was it a game changer - NO!

Top DJ's had to earn money, so to play a crazy set at an event would mean no future bookings.

Certain people will say sets by Ratty or Topbuzz, that that is simply due to containing tunes they liked.

You could argue most sets mid to late 94 were game changers, as DJ's had to pick which genre they would adopt, whilst a few did it over night, some struggled for months to pick one or another - Andy C for example, whilst other DJ's simply didn't pick either route, and almost vanished, like Easygroove.

Carl Cox at Dreamscape 3 was pretty 'wow', but alas, no game changer...
Idiot.

Ratty is infamous for showing the big boys how it's done when he played Perception in '91.

EVERYBODY was AMAZED at how much of a different level his set was to everyone else's.

You really are a clueless cretin at times.

lemsip
Old Skool Master
Old Skool Master

Post by lemsip » Tue Mar 17, 2015 5:19 pm

Thrash wrote:The Producer / DJ Tanith tape from Universe opened up a whole new world of sound in Autumn '92.
That was the one that I immediately thought of too.

AtomSmasher
Old Skool Master
Old Skool Master

Post by AtomSmasher » Tue Mar 17, 2015 5:35 pm

Fixed for accuracy:
dj_gyr8 wrote: Hi,
Was actually considering doing an imaginary 'dubplate only' set for Jimmy's Farm this summer. Grooverider mentioned, "you got a lot of rare tunes..." and it made me think... Only problem is accessing my imaginary secret underground nuclear bunker, programming a set with the right genre from the 50k imaginary tunes I own, plus would need all tracks recording, then cleaning up, and even re-EQing... then play the set on my imaginary laptop.

Annoyingly, Jimmy thinks its fine for DJ's to play imaginary sets - saves the vinyl getting muddy! Although he would be paying me in rare breed sausages so its definitely worth considering

AtomSmasher
Old Skool Master
Old Skool Master

Post by AtomSmasher » Tue Mar 17, 2015 5:43 pm

Aside from Gyr8's fantasy's, i'd say a 'game-changing' DJ set in any form of music is pretty hard to come by (as your playing someone else's music)- unless the DJ is playing tunes or a genre never heard anywhere before.
Maybe some of the really early acid house sets in this country?
You're more likely to find a game-changer in turntablism where its more about technqiue than the music i reckon...

dj_gyr8
Old Skool Don Daddy
Old Skool Don Daddy

Post by dj_gyr8 » Tue Mar 17, 2015 5:57 pm

Hi,

They'll need a lot of rare-breed sausages, to cover my fee...

AtomSmasher
Old Skool Master
Old Skool Master

Post by AtomSmasher » Tue Mar 17, 2015 6:06 pm

dj_gyr8 wrote:Hi,

They'll need a lot of rare-breed sausages, to cover my fee...
..is what it says on the gent's toilet wall....

Restless
Old Skool Don Daddy
Old Skool Don Daddy

Post by Restless » Tue Mar 17, 2015 6:47 pm

Alfredo pre '88.