What do you want to see on new vinyl releases?

Old Skool chat, tune discussions.
No tape packs or mix tape posts in the forum please!
Nits
Old Skool Master
Old Skool Master

Re: What do you want to see on new vinyl releases?

Post by Nits » Thu Feb 12, 2015 10:32 pm

I don't personally go for the dub-step/D&B sound. What I do go for is anything that sounds like breakbeat hardcore from 91-95 (I'm a sucker for uplifting pianos with female vocals, but there has to be some darkness for contrast at least occasionally too!) but at the same time has some degree or originality in it's own right.

It doesn't matter to me when it was produced or how clean/dirty sounding (as long as it's not distorting/overly noisy) - there were some very cleanly produced tracks from BITD (eg stuff on Basement, tunes from Prodigy, Acen, etc ) that were great, just as there were some dirty sounding tracks that worked well.

At the end of the day I believe a producer should produce in the style he (or she) feels naturally drawn to.

I think if you try to "engineer" a record that will sell, it might well fall flat on it's face. Much better to just do what YOU feel sounds good as best as you can, then (if you want to make sure it will sell well or not) get some feedback on which tunes people here would like to see pressed up IMO :)

Admittedly I have a lot less experience with releases than yourself and others here on this forum have, but I think what I said makes sense!?

oldskoolforever
He never locked his car door
He never locked his car door

Re: What do you want to see on new vinyl releases?

Post by oldskoolforever » Thu Feb 12, 2015 11:39 pm

Authentic sounding old skool tunes for me. I'd rather there was a dirty/edgy feel to the breakbeats/sound, it fits in well with many tunes from BITD. Having said that, i'm not against happy stuff either !