Return To B2VOS EP (320mp3) FREE!

Old Skool chat, tune discussions.
No tape packs or mix tape posts in the forum please!
dj jedi

Re: Return To B2VOS EP (320mp3) FREE!

Post by dj jedi » Thu Feb 05, 2015 10:07 am

I'd prefer a 4 tracker personally, regardless of track lengths I think most people prefer 1 or 2 tracks per side.

DJ Chance
Old Skool Don Daddy
Old Skool Don Daddy

Post by DJ Chance » Thu Feb 05, 2015 10:48 am

renegadegenius wrote:
dj jedi wrote:Must admit they completely passed me by, don't remember seeing them! I'd have a word with Simon if you still have quite a few left.
I know I've got at least 30 or 40 copies of each - probably more.

Ref the b2vos ep on vinyl.
if we can squeeze 5 tracks onto an ep, I'd need to get the ok from Darkus for the dodge this remix. Haven't had contact with him for years & only got the ok for this (some years back) for putting it out as a freebie, so might be easier to leave that one off to make it a 4 tracker.

Plus someone else would have to do the payments side of things. My paypal only allows so much activity before they start questioning things about tax and stuff.

And pre-orders prior to getting anything pressed would be a must.
I also haven't heard from Darkus for years. Anyone know what he is up too?

dj_gyr8
Old Skool Don Daddy
Old Skool Don Daddy

Post by dj_gyr8 » Thu Feb 05, 2015 1:23 pm

Hi,

Wow, I never heard of those KHK releases until now. I seriously reckon lack of sales due to lack of advertising. I'll defo buy a copy of each.

OK, for the B2VOS EP, simply leave off that remix...

renegadegenius
Nicolas Parsons
Nicolas Parsons
Location: Bat Beat Vol 2 - It's Still Here!!!! (as are a few copies of Vol 1)

Post by renegadegenius » Thu Feb 05, 2015 1:35 pm

dj_gyr8 wrote:Hi,

Wow, I never heard of those KHK releases until now. I seriously reckon lack of sales due to lack of advertising. I'll defo buy a copy of each.

OK, for the B2VOS EP, simply leave off that remix...
Well it was advertised on here, IAAO, youtube channels, FB, discogs - so all the usual places. And that was just me.
I'm sure they advertised it as well via their own sites.

As for the b2vos one on vinyl - if one of the other artists wants to do it they can, but as mentioned, I can't use my paypal for those sort of amounts coming in for a good while yet, plus it'd be pre-order only as I just don't have the funds to do this sort of thing anymore.

dj jedi

Post by dj jedi » Thu Feb 05, 2015 5:04 pm

If nobody else volunteers I'd be happy to organise the pressing as I am doing some at the moment anyway. But I guess we'd need the artists to put the money up...

what evil lurks
Old Skool Master
Old Skool Master

Post by what evil lurks » Thu Feb 05, 2015 10:39 pm

Aike's Dark Chime is a monster of a tune, thanks for the download mate. edited: Hammock is such a beautiful track, what a blinding EP this is!!!

Simon @seventh storey is the man (melakaraya), I think putting these records on his site will help a lot. By the way, those Thumpson's recods completely passed me by as well. I don't buy everything new but I try to control all the tunes you advertise here and support the scene as much as I can.

When I buy "new" stuff like Dread Killer EP, Sublogic's, Keep Vinyl Alive, etc I always try to buy more tunes from the same seller in order to save postage costs.

silky
Oldskool Raver
Oldskool Raver

Post by silky » Fri Feb 06, 2015 8:37 pm

What will the costs roughly be? If split between 4 of us? I can use paypal to pay my share depending on costs, but I know Nee and I live across the pond so we could only have a limited involvement.

dj jedi

Post by dj jedi » Fri Feb 06, 2015 8:53 pm

100 copies is £520 (white labels only) and 200 copies with labels is about £700 from memory, has been a while since I've done that many. It's obviously far more cost effective to get 200 and you get nice labels too, but 200 is quite a lot to try and shift.

renegadegenius
Nicolas Parsons
Nicolas Parsons

Post by renegadegenius » Sat Feb 07, 2015 7:44 am

If you don't want to be waiting 6 months, then you can't use curved.
In 2012, price was around £530+vat to get 100 copies pressed up with them.

The people that Will uses (Beau & then pressing at Optimal) has a much faster turnaround, but from what I've heard, is about 15-20% more costly than current curved prices.
(So probably around £800ish for 100 WL copies).

200 copies is much more cost effective, but unless you're a well known name, shifting even 100 copies is still difficult, even if the tunes are great.

If someone is interested in doing it, they're better off doing pre-orders & if you sell enough to cover costs within a month, get it pressed, give the artists involved a free copy & any money left over is what you keep.
If you don't sell within the month, you can refund people - paypal has a refund time limit of around a month hence that deadline.

Getting 4 sellers involved won't work (imo) as you're all selling to the same batch of people.

dj jedi

Post by dj jedi » Sat Feb 07, 2015 11:29 am

renegadegenius wrote:If you don't want to be waiting 6 months, then you can't use curved.
I used Curved for my latest release, test presses took 2 weeks and the final run took a further 5 weeks, so 7 weeks total from cut to picking them up and that was over Christmas too. I know there have been some recent horror stories but I've used them 6 or 7 times now and never had a big delay. The Invisible Man release took 6 months because the final run had a pressing fault.

I think the fact I go there in person for the cut/payment/collection etc helps in terms of turnaround time too, I can imagine an unattended cut being put to the back of the pile. They also don't charge the VAT if you pay cash.

renegadegenius
Nicolas Parsons
Nicolas Parsons

Post by renegadegenius » Sat Feb 07, 2015 11:33 am

dj jedi wrote:
renegadegenius wrote:If you don't want to be waiting 6 months, then you can't use curved.
I used Curved for my latest release, test presses took 2 weeks and the final run took a further 5 weeks, so 7 weeks total from cut to picking them up and that was over Christmas too. I know there have been some recent horror stories but I've used them 6 or 7 times now and never had a big delay. The Invisible Man release took 6 months because the final run had a pressing fault.

I think the fact I go there in person for the cut/payment/collection etc helps in terms of turnaround time too, I can imagine an unattended cut being put to the back of the pile. They also don't charge the VAT if you pay cash.
I've used them a few times & have always gone down there as well - cash only - which saves a bit of money ;)
But I've had warped vinyl twice & another with a pressing fault which has delayed things further.
Not the fault of curved, but IMO who they use. And it's them that are busy.

I know the recent Invisible Man press used them and from start to finish was nearer 6 months!
Although there was faults with that press and was coloured vinyl, which probably pushed the leadtimes up, but I did enquire end of last year and the leadtimes I was given were longer than previous presses.

rebeast
Oldskool Raver
Oldskool Raver

Post by rebeast » Sun Feb 08, 2015 12:17 pm

This may sound eccentric, but for now I'm lossy on the last ep 200 pounds (very poor sales), but it does not give up and I prepare to release, this time ep with 2 test press and only 20 white label.
Unfortunately, the price per item will not be low.

You only live once. ;)

Thanks for sharing, very interesting ep. :)

stuartj
Old Skool Don Daddy
Old Skool Don Daddy

Post by stuartj » Mon Feb 09, 2015 11:52 am

renegadegenius wrote:I'd need to get the ok from Darkus for the dodge this remix. Haven't had contact with him for years & only got the ok for this (some years back) for putting it out as a freebie, so might be easier to leave that one off to make it a 4 tracker.
For what its worth Steve, you're fine to do what you want with Dodge This from my point of view, if that helps at all. Regrettably I'm not in touch with Darkus either anymore though.

renegadegenius
Nicolas Parsons
Nicolas Parsons

Post by renegadegenius » Mon Feb 09, 2015 12:25 pm

stuartj wrote:
renegadegenius wrote:I'd need to get the ok from Darkus for the dodge this remix. Haven't had contact with him for years & only got the ok for this (some years back) for putting it out as a freebie, so might be easier to leave that one off to make it a 4 tracker.
For what its worth Steve, you're fine to do what you want with Dodge This from my point of view, if that helps at all. Regrettably I'm not in touch with Darkus either anymore though.
Cheers Stu :)

Nits
Old Skool Master
Old Skool Master

Post by Nits » Thu Feb 12, 2015 8:54 pm

renegadegenius wrote:Ref the b2vos ep on vinyl.
if we can squeeze 5 tracks onto an ep, I'd need to get the ok from Darkus for the dodge this remix. Haven't had contact with him for years & only got the ok for this (some years back) for putting it out as a freebie, so might be easier to leave that one off to make it a 4 tracker.
I'd take a couple of copies if your remix of Dodge This was included. VERY nice work there RG! Hope someone can track down Darkus.