What a great label

Old Skool chat, tune discussions.
No tape packs or mix tape posts in the forum please!
phil
Old Skool Don Daddy
Old Skool Don Daddy

What a great label

Post by phil » Mon Jan 05, 2015 3:42 pm

http://www.discogs.com/Slamin-Techno-Ju ... ase/175345

only 5 releases on this off shoot but every one a banger - that one up the top being my fave

eazyflow
Old Skool Don Daddy
Old Skool Don Daddy

Re: What a great label

Post by eazyflow » Mon Jan 05, 2015 4:39 pm

Agreed.

Love that kind of no nonsense approach to hardcore :)

pineappletribe
Old Skool Don Daddy
Old Skool Don Daddy

Post by pineappletribe » Tue Jan 06, 2015 11:46 am

Quality offshoot -> tbh I only own 3 of them... but love 'em :D (2/3/5)

dj_gyr8
Old Skool Don Daddy
Old Skool Don Daddy

Post by dj_gyr8 » Tue Jan 06, 2015 12:08 pm

Hi,

Never understood why there were singles on what appeared to be the album label.

All 5 releases would easily fit on SU.

My fave is Dancehall Dangerous

Ric
He never locked his car door

Post by Ric » Tue Jan 06, 2015 2:42 pm

Dancehall Dangerous is my favourite too. One of my all time favourite tracks.

AtomSmasher
Old Skool Master
Old Skool Master

Post by AtomSmasher » Tue Jan 06, 2015 6:58 pm

'Mash Up The Speakers' (along with 'Dancehall Dangerous')is one of the first tunes I bought. Never heard it on a mix tape though.......
I remember BITD wondering what the difference was between 'Strictly Hardcore' and 'Strictly Underground'......

dj_gyr8
Old Skool Don Daddy
Old Skool Don Daddy

Post by dj_gyr8 » Tue Jan 06, 2015 7:03 pm

Hi,

The only difference was 'hardcore' was for all tge albums...

Have no idea why he put out those specific singles on that 'label', but guessing it was for max promotion, as it was distro by Virgin...

After Dancehall Dangerous, I was pretty sad cos the next releases were nowhere near as exciting

MR RINSE
Oldskool Raver
Oldskool Raver

Post by MR RINSE » Tue Jan 06, 2015 10:22 pm

Proper hardcore. Mark Ryder was a don. Really knew what he was doing, GyR8 I think Ryder was one of the most interesting and clever artists of "our" scene, massive self promotion & spanned multi genres, keeping his sound, and generally being a badman, not to mention 2 radio stations, compilations etc

Don imo

pineappletribe
Old Skool Don Daddy
Old Skool Don Daddy

Post by pineappletribe » Wed Jan 07, 2015 6:53 am

This thread has got me trawling through the Strictly Underground releases...

Just bought another couple of tunes for the collection :D :

http://www.discogs.com/M-D-Emm-Splif-Up ... ase/147011
http://www.discogs.com/Multicore-Stress ... se/1694589 (love the ajax project sample)

\:D/

eazyflow
Old Skool Don Daddy
Old Skool Don Daddy

Post by eazyflow » Wed Jan 07, 2015 7:55 am

Strictly Underground is massively underrated imo. I wonder if the reason why you rarely heard their releases on mixes had anything to do with Ryder covering his sleeves with threats to sue anybody heard playing their music, which was something I always found a little odd. I also read somewhere (I think it was in Luna C's book) that SU had some kind of ongoing beef with Sub Base so I wonder if DJ's had to pick their sides for mailing lists purposes, I dunno... :-k

Because other than that, SU is pretty much consistently excellent hardcore which ought to have been a staple on any DJ's playlist. The stabs always stood out for me as being amazing on SU releases. That deep piano sound in particular was always a highlight for me when it cropped up. I think people refer to it now as the 'Landlord' stab, but for years before the days of the internet me and my mate used to always refer to it as that 'Strictly' sound :D

ian saunders remix
Oldskool Raver
Oldskool Raver

Post by ian saunders remix » Wed Jan 07, 2015 10:41 am

eazyflow wrote:Strictly Underground is massively underrated imo. I wonder if the reason why you rarely heard their releases on mixes had anything to do with Ryder covering his sleeves with threats to sue anybody heard playing their music, which was something I always found a little odd. I also read somewhere (I think it was in Luna C's book) that SU had some kind of ongoing beef with Sub Base so I wonder if DJ's had to pick their sides for mailing lists purposes, I dunno... :-k

Because other than that, SU is pretty much consistently excellent hardcore which ought to have been a staple on any DJ's playlist. The stabs always stood out for me as being amazing on SU releases. That deep piano sound in particular was always a highlight for me when it cropped up. I think people refer to it now as the 'Landlord' stab, but for years before the days of the internet me and my mate used to always refer to it as that 'Strictly' sound :D

From Mark:

"danny was a bad dude he was all about money he made things very difficult for me, took my artist (dave nodz) and all my art ideas i was using on su (cartoon characters in street style) and so much more (i actully got his label up and running with all my contacts ect but it all went to his head) , he was only in it for the money and he saw me as a threat because i actually was the key talent and power behing the label he wished he owned (strictly underground)"

eazyflow
Old Skool Don Daddy
Old Skool Don Daddy

Post by eazyflow » Wed Jan 07, 2015 12:00 pm

Interesting stuff!!

I notice Hype stopped appearing on SU releases after he moved to Sub Base. Looks like that was another 'coup' by Dan Donelly.

Mike James seems to have done a lot of work for both labels. I wonder if that made anything awkward...

I bet it didn't help matters when Ryder put skits on his records mocking Sub Base over the whole Smart'E's thing either :D

jimee

Post by jimee » Wed Jan 07, 2015 2:20 pm

Anyone got any of the albums ripped they want to upload? :D

dj_gyr8
Old Skool Don Daddy
Old Skool Don Daddy

Post by dj_gyr8 » Wed Jan 07, 2015 2:38 pm

Hi,

The 2 SU albums both had a good selection of non-anthem tracks, from pretty obscure labels, at the time, and often EP tracks too.

IMO their albums were a gr8 way for ppl to get a 'real' taste of the tracks from our scene.

Agreed, lots of tracks not heard out live, but defo heard Dancehall Dangerous played out loads BITD, even at the biggest of events.

There was no issue with mailing lists (as mentioned above) as all the SU releases were done through Virgin

ian saunders remix
Oldskool Raver
Oldskool Raver

Post by ian saunders remix » Wed Jan 07, 2015 2:50 pm

eazyflow wrote:Interesting stuff!!
I notice Hype stopped appearing on SU releases after he moved to Sub Base. Looks like that was another 'coup' by Dan Donelly.

Mike James seems to have done a lot of work for both labels. I wonder if that made anything awkward...
Not really, Mike James is Mark Ryder's brother :D