Carl Cox Old Skool set - May 2015

Old Skool chat, tune discussions.
No tape packs or mix tape posts in the forum please!
dj jedi

Re: Carl Cox Old Skool set - May 2015

Post by dj jedi » Fri May 08, 2015 2:26 pm

So who's going tonight then? Maybe we could try and arrange a meet up.

lentrix
Old Skool Don Daddy
Old Skool Don Daddy

Post by lentrix » Fri May 08, 2015 3:21 pm

I reckon this will be a top night - such a pity i can't make it ....

dj jedi

Post by dj jedi » Fri May 08, 2015 3:29 pm

lentrix wrote:I reckon this will be a top night
Hope so! Slightly sceptical about Carl Cox billed as a "drum & bass set" so I'll be severely disappointed if it's all Bad Ass and Chopper! But then he's never played that stuff so am hoping for some hardcore, will report back tomorrow.

wigster
Oldskool Raver
Oldskool Raver

Post by wigster » Fri May 08, 2015 5:35 pm

Im going! Had a hectic day so I'm knackered already but hopefully I'll last the night!!

alphawave ep
Old Skool Master
Old Skool Master

Post by alphawave ep » Fri May 08, 2015 7:24 pm

I am interested in how tonight goes.... What seduction pulls out the bag if he turns up.

Richruffcut
Oldskool Raver
Oldskool Raver

Post by Richruffcut » Fri May 08, 2015 9:59 pm

alphawave ep wrote:I am interested in how tonight goes.... What seduction pulls out the bag if he turns up.
Me to, would rather check out his set than carl cox's drum and bass set. Let us know what it was like please. Tango and Ratty would be the set of the night for me tho.

wigster
Oldskool Raver
Oldskool Raver

Post by wigster » Fri May 08, 2015 10:26 pm

Tango and Ratty...really good underground 91/92 set [SMILING FACE WITH SMILING EYES] Sy...brilliant. Was worried it'd be cheesefest but was a nice 92 onwards set ending with a bit of happy hardcore but nothing too cheesy. Shades of Rhythm on now [SMILING FACE WITH OPEN MOUTH]

dj jedi

Post by dj jedi » Sat May 09, 2015 12:56 pm

Absolutely brilliant night! Exceeded almost all expectations. Every set was good - Tango + Ratty were on first which was a shame as it was empty, but they played nice 91-92 stuff (Dragonfly, We Are IE etc.) Sy and Dougal both played typical 92-94 sets (Dougal even played a bit of vinyl) which helped fill the place up. I was dreading Shades of Rhythm because I normally hate Live PAs, but this was probably the best one I've seen, they were actually playing real music live! Good to have their vocalist there singing Xtasy and Sound of Eden too.

Seduction was brilliant, the only anthems he played were a few of his own tracks, everything else was really underground. He played vinyl and was really tight. Ratpack were Ratpack, did their job and everyone enjoyed it.

Now on to Carl Cox who played 2-4. I was worried he would even turn up at all, and had no idea what he would play. So I was relieved when he did come on and the place packed out as you would expect. I can't remember what he played tune for tune but among them were:

T99 - Anastasia
Second Phase - Mentasm
DMS - Exterminate
Top Buzz - Living In Darkness
Metalheads - Terminator
Wax Doctor - A New Direction
Ramos + Supreme - Crowd Control (Slipmatt Remix)
Rotterdam Termination Source - Poing
Freestyle + DJR - Ten 44
DMS - Vengeance
Sonz - Peace + Loveism

So as you can see a real mixed bag from 91-94, not just the usual Inner City and 808 State he usually plays in classic sets. I was really surprised and pleased to hear him play some dutch stuff and early happy hardcore, I thought he'd be too cool for it now but respect to the man. The only disappointing thing about his set was the D&B he played in the middle, I've no idea what any of it was but I imagine it was Rudimental or whatever commercial crap people are in to these days. Fair play to him if he likes it but it almost cleared the dancefloor, luckily he went back to hardcore. He really is the best dance DJ to watch, so full of energy and technically amazing. One of the best rave sets I've ever seen live, not the most underground music but he just has a presence that nobody else has. Slipmatt was on after but I left at about 4.15, getting old :)

There were a few negatives - the D&B room was playing the most awful clownstep nonsense I've ever heard, if that's what D&B is these days I'm glad I don't follow it any more, it just didn't suit the night at all. That was the only room with a bar so couldn't avoid it! It was busy enough (especially while Carl Cox was on) but I am amazed it didn't sell out, I've seen him play a few times before and it's usually a complete roadblock, maybe a 'rave' set put off some of the normal sheep that go and watch him. And the sound system wasn't great, they only had speakers at the front, really needed some at the back too.

But overall easily the best rave I've been to for years, and one of the best sets I've ever seen. Hats off to Magika for pulling it off, I never thought I'd get to see Carl Cox play a proper hardcore set.

Richruffcut
Oldskool Raver
Oldskool Raver

Post by Richruffcut » Sat May 09, 2015 6:13 pm

Thanks for the report back jedi. Can you remember what tunes seduction played?

alphawave ep
Old Skool Master
Old Skool Master

Post by alphawave ep » Sat May 09, 2015 7:09 pm

Thanks for the review ..I been checking today to see how it went...

wigster
Oldskool Raver
Oldskool Raver

Post by wigster » Sat May 09, 2015 10:31 pm

Excellent write-up Edd and good to catch up after nearly 13 years!!

Agree with most of your review, especially the bit about it being a top night overall. I came away feeling that I'd been part of a very special night.

All the DJ's played excellent sets...I really couldn't fault any of them. For me Sy's was the set I enjoyed the most due to the rapid fire way he was mixing. Lots of tunes I hadn't heard out for a while (Soothe My Soul, In Effect, We 3 - Happiness, Red Alert/Slammer - Ganja Man and loads more). Seduction wasn't far behind. Was good to see him playing off vinyl. Can't remember all of the tunes he played but do seem to remember Moog - Lobster, Anthill Mob - Hooded Claw remix, the one with the chopsticks sounding sample in it who's name escapes me....you get the general idea!! Only complaint during Seductions set was that the sound levels seemed to dip a bit but that didn't spoil it much. Ratpack, Dougal and Ratty/Tango all played decent sets and it was good to see Ratty and Tango having a good rave up in the crowd afterwards!!

Carl Cox...what can I say? Seemed to be really enjoying being there and enjoying the tunes too. Agree that the drum and bass he played kind of sent the set a bit off beam, but he still finished strongly.

I also bailed out during Slipmatt's set but the bits I did hear sounded good. Great to hear a Rabbit City tune in the mix.

Overall a great night and really glad I made the effort to go. The only other thing I would say is that I think you might have missed a couple of rooms Edd as the main drum and bass room (not the one right behind the main room) and the house room both had bars in. I popped in the D&B room for a bit and caught a part of Kenny Ken's set and another couple of DJs. It was pretty packed in there and people seemed well up for it, but to be honest the main room line up was really too good to for me stay away from for too long...

dj jedi

Post by dj jedi » Sun May 10, 2015 10:19 am

wigster wrote:The only other thing I would say is that I think you might have missed a couple of rooms Edd as the main drum and bass room (not the one right behind the main room) and the house room both had bars in. I popped in the D&B room for a bit and caught a part of Kenny Ken's set and another couple of DJs. It was pretty packed in there and people seemed well up for it, but to be honest the main room line up was really too good to for me stay away from for too long...
Haha whoops you may be right mate, I hadn't been to the Q Club before so found it a bit of a maze! I did wonder why the jungle room had none of the booked DJs and no jungle :oops:

alphawave ep
Old Skool Master
Old Skool Master

Post by alphawave ep » Sun May 10, 2015 7:44 pm

Quick video i found CARL COX https://youtu.be/61Y2VpBHFNs

jimee
He never locked his car door
He never locked his car door

Post by jimee » Mon May 11, 2015 10:03 am

Sounds good night, was anyone mc'ing over Carl Cox's set, or was he doing that himself?

Was Majika on the mic all that, as that would probably of ruined it for me

dj jedi

Post by dj jedi » Mon May 11, 2015 10:32 am

Magika only did Carl Cox's set which was a blessing! He was MCing a bit but didn't ruin it. Carl Cox said a few things himself too.