Carl Cox Old Skool set - May 2015

Old Skool chat, tune discussions.
No tape packs or mix tape posts in the forum please!
ferocious
Regular
Regular

Re: Carl Cox Old Skool set - May 2015

Post by ferocious » Mon Jan 05, 2015 8:06 pm

Was a misprint. He's playing bouncy techno. Technosis "Genorate" going to be cut up to hell on all three decks for two hours. 8)

jamsco99
Regular
Regular

Post by jamsco99 » Wed Jan 07, 2015 6:01 pm

jimee
He never locked his car door
He never locked his car door

Post by jimee » Fri Jan 09, 2015 10:51 am

I really can't see Carl Cox doing something like this, its just not his style anymore

He did an oldskool set at bestival a few years back which was good, but I can't see him turning up at a hardcore/jungle event these days, he's all about his own brand, and 'Carl Cox and friends', which doesn't include old rave djs, more modern house/tech house/techno djs...

To add to that, he does like talking over his sets these days (oh yes oh yes), so really can't see him allowing Magika to shout rubbish over the music!

dj jedi

Post by dj jedi » Fri Jan 09, 2015 12:36 pm

I agree with all of the above but assume these guys must go back 20+ years so perhaps he's making an exception for an old friend. Personally I've always found it odd that he's pretty much shunned the period that established him, especially the 93-95 bouncy techno/happy hardcore era that he can't deny he was a big part of. Would be great to see him representing it again, the fact you've moved on shouldn't mean you never go back to your roots.

Restless
Old Skool Don Daddy
Old Skool Don Daddy

Post by Restless » Fri Jan 09, 2015 1:16 pm

dj jedi wrote:I agree with all of the above but assume these guys must go back 20+ years so perhaps he's making an exception for an old friend. Personally I've always found it odd that he's pretty much shunned the period that established him, especially the 93-95 bouncy techno/happy hardcore era that he can't deny he was a big part of. Would be great to see him representing it again, the fact you've moved on shouldn't mean you never go back to your roots.
If he did that then he'd be no different from The Ratpack or Slipmatt.

I can agree with you on not abandoning your roots completely, but if you fail to move on, before you know it it's 20 years after '92 and you're still playing 'Bombscare'.

I think Carl is and was a visionary of sorts (as everyone went down the Happy/Jungle route), and it took bottle to abandon what was easy money and go leftfield into the techno scene. But let's be honest here, Acid House established him, not Hardcore. Those 3 deck specials at 'Sunrise' etc made him into the superstar, not Hardcore. He was already large in name by then. People seem to forget that scene so much. If you was a huge name in '91, chances are you were huge in '88/'89.

lentrix
Old Skool Don Daddy
Old Skool Don Daddy

Post by lentrix » Fri Jan 09, 2015 1:58 pm

Pretty much agree with Restless - he was already big and gone from Hardcore by 94. I don't think i saw him on a flyer after that, he had moved off into the techno scene.

You've got to admit that it worked out well for him !!!

Would love for him to do a really good old skool set maybe 1 or 2 anthems to keep the crowd bubbling along - has anyone actually asked him about the event?

dj jedi

Post by dj jedi » Fri Jan 09, 2015 2:35 pm

Well I didn't say he should stop playing new music and become Ratpack, there is a middle ground :lol:

But as a big fan of his back in the day he was not only playing but making 'hardcore' on his MMR label well into 95. I think it's a bit of a kop out to drop stuff like 'Inner City - Good Life', it would be much better to hear him play the music he used to actually play and produce occasionally. Here's an example from '95, hardly techno by today's standards:

http://www.discogs.com/Tank-Source-Tank ... ase/121249

Traffic Cone
The Messiah of the 21st Century

Post by Traffic Cone » Fri Jan 09, 2015 3:28 pm

in his sets from 94-ish, it doesn't really sound like a straight switch from hardcore to techno. even when he was still ostensibly a hardcore DJ his sets had loads of hard trance and techno (back when that stuff was around the same tempo as hardcore techno).

The latest he was playing hardcore techno was early 95 i think, there's a Kinetic set of him. Even then the tunes are quite pitched down, it sounds a bit weird.

I love that Tank Source record there - one of DJ Freak's best - but it was certainly harder than most of what Carl played. I don't think I've heard him play it in a set.

i'm not really surprised he hasn't returned to it. i can see how you might be happy enough with hardcore at the time, but then when techno and trance really started to develop he might have thought "wow, actually this is what i've really been looking for!".

sometimes people's "roots" are just what they were into before they found what they really like.

Restless
Old Skool Don Daddy
Old Skool Don Daddy

Post by Restless » Fri Jan 09, 2015 4:35 pm

Traffic Cone wrote:i'm not really surprised he hasn't returned to it. i can see how you might be happy enough with hardcore at the time, but then when techno and trance really started to develop he might have thought "wow, actually this is what i've really been looking for!".

sometimes people's "roots" are just what they were into before they found what they really like.
Spot on, pal. ;-)

Yeah, if I was asked what genre-DJ Carl Cox is, I'd call him a Techno DJ.

Paul Zykotik
Old Skool Don Daddy
Old Skool Don Daddy

Post by Paul Zykotik » Fri Jan 09, 2015 9:25 pm

Which doesn't feel quite right either these days as a lot of his sets in the last 10 years have sounded more house than techno :)

Paul Zykotik
Old Skool Don Daddy
Old Skool Don Daddy

Post by Paul Zykotik » Fri Jan 09, 2015 9:28 pm

Traffic Cone wrote:I love that Tank Source record there - one of DJ Freak's best - but it was certainly harder than most of what Carl played. I don't think I've heard him play it in a set.
Made with Mike Humphries by the looks of it. Which might mean nothing to you, but I had plenty of techno records by him. Actually you must know Aural Exciter (the dominatrix tune) - that was him with Glenn Wilson :)

Restless
Old Skool Don Daddy
Old Skool Don Daddy

Post by Restless » Sat Jan 10, 2015 10:19 am

Paul Zykotik wrote:Which doesn't feel quite right either these days as a lot of his sets in the last 10 years have sounded more house than techno :)
But over the course of 20+ years, he's a Techno DJ.

Also, people assume that Techno will be 1000BPM. Those days are gone.

Traffic Cone

Post by Traffic Cone » Sat Jan 10, 2015 3:06 pm

Paul Zykotik wrote: Made with Mike Humphries by the looks of it. Which might mean nothing to you, but I had plenty of techno records by him. Actually you must know Aural Exciter (the dominatrix tune) - that was him with Glenn Wilson :)
i know the name, yeah. so that would be the H in DJ Freak & H! i guess that explains why those tunes are a bit less mental than all of the other DJ Freak tunes.

jonny
Nicolas Parsons
Nicolas Parsons

Post by jonny » Sat Jan 10, 2015 6:40 pm

This is undoubtedly one of Coxys best ever sets

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AVet-HD_BrI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WZx7I3HYwuY

id say the atmosphere at this would be brilliant though.

pinhead1000
Old Skool Master
Old Skool Master

Post by pinhead1000 » Sat Jan 10, 2015 9:18 pm

jonny wrote:This is undoubtedly one of Coxys best ever sets

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AVet-HD_BrI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WZx7I3HYwuY

id say the atmosphere at this would be brilliant though.
my favourite carl cox set had to buy a 2nd copy of the tape as i killed the first 1 lol

i actually picked a copy up in about 95 from a bloke on the front at blackpool along with ellis dee both on original for £1 each