DJ RAP TAKEOVER

Old Skool chat, tune discussions.
No tape packs or mix tape posts in the forum please!
Restless
Old Skool Don Daddy
Old Skool Don Daddy

Re: DJ RAP TAKEOVER

Post by Restless » Thu Dec 04, 2014 11:21 pm

There's a D&B track on her label from '97 - Proper floor destroyer in it's time.

Although the settings aren't all that in that video, at least she's still out there and doing what she loves. To still be out there after all this time (just sit there and think about how different it is nowadays) is a huge achievement. Fair play to her I say.

She's still hot as well! :-)

rage
Old Skool Don Daddy
Old Skool Don Daddy

Post by rage » Thu Dec 04, 2014 11:29 pm

Smart Stepper? I used to love that tune, still got it and play it occasionally!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rk8pu_quibk

Yeah I dont know how old she is now but she still looks pretty tidy from this pic.

https://www.facebook.com/djrap/photos/a ... =1&theater

Restless
Old Skool Don Daddy
Old Skool Don Daddy

Post by Restless » Thu Dec 04, 2014 11:38 pm

No. Special K - Knowledge. ;-)

jimee
He never locked his car door

Post by jimee » Fri Dec 05, 2014 11:24 am

Dj Rap threads on here usually end up with someone posting the picture of her with her minge out, whos gonna do the honors this time!?

dj jedi

Post by dj jedi » Fri Dec 05, 2014 11:57 am

Big DJ Rap fan here, always have been. Probably because I was a teenager in the mid 90s and she was one of the pin ups on my wall :lol: Always looked out for her D&B sets at the bigger raves. Respect due IMO, she was certainly no worse at mixing than a lot of the 'big boys' back then, and she's certainly not the only person to have her name on records that were engineered by other people (just ask Ron!)

Restless
Old Skool Don Daddy
Old Skool Don Daddy

Post by Restless » Fri Dec 05, 2014 12:07 pm

jimee wrote:Dj Rap threads on here usually end up with someone posting the picture of her with her minge out, whos gonna do the honors this time!?
:lol: :lol: [-o<

lentrix
Old Skool Don Daddy
Old Skool Don Daddy

Post by lentrix » Fri Dec 05, 2014 3:50 pm

Restless wrote:I think Finn has fallen more into the "classic jungle sets" box, Randall for the serious/cool nights (Metalheadz, Fabric, Shogun etc), Groove kinda the same but still the odd appearance at commercial raves, same for Hype but plays a hell of commercial events, and Fabio more the same way as Randall but for events catering to his style.

No doubt most of them get a ton of work abroad.

Pretty much.

Rider & Fabio still play globally.

Hype's 'true playz' nights at Fabric are still packed.

eazyflow
Old Skool Don Daddy
Old Skool Don Daddy

Post by eazyflow » Fri Dec 05, 2014 5:03 pm

I guess it's how you interpret "relevant"...

Aphrodite still gets a ton of bookings abroad but he hasn't been relevant since 1997 :D

I'm thinking more along the lines of who is regarded as being a driving force behind the direction the music is taking and who is regarded as pushing boundaries - Doc Scott has the current 'sound' sewn up very well. The likes of Finn, Groove, Fabio, Randall etc... whilst they may be clinging on haven't really been looked upon as a fundamental driving force in DnB's musical direction for a long time. So busy yeah, but not really relevant.

deebom
Oldskool Raver
Oldskool Raver

Post by deebom » Fri Dec 05, 2014 7:48 pm

Rap made her own tunes, Pete Parsons was the engineer extraordinaire, but she banged out the strings, loops, samples on the keys and did the arranging. She wasn't a bad DJ, did well for herself in the scene. Nice lady too.

Traffic Cone
The Messiah of the 21st Century
The Messiah of the 21st Century

Post by Traffic Cone » Fri Dec 05, 2014 11:39 pm

Rap does seem to be one of those DJs people like to point out how the engineer made their tunes. But as said: isn't that true for most of the big names, really?

rage
Old Skool Don Daddy
Old Skool Don Daddy

Post by rage » Sat Dec 06, 2014 12:25 am

eazyflow wrote:I guess it's how you interpret "relevant"...
I thought the same thing (I always seem to do that with your posts, haha)

Relevant to who? or what? lol

Is Andy C relevant any more? I mean he's the biggest DJ in DnB, but he seems totally out of touch with the side of DnB I'm into, and is seemingly more interested in money playing huge festivals and releasing chart music.

Of all of them, Randall is the DJ I respect the most and I think he is probably one of the most respected by his peers. Top mixer, always kept it real with a great selection and is an all round G. Him and Shabba at Fusion absolutely killed it.

Restless
Old Skool Don Daddy
Old Skool Don Daddy

Post by Restless » Sat Dec 06, 2014 12:32 am

^^

Well put.

Andy is in the same arena as Fresh these days. "The Executioner" he no longer is!

What did Randall play at Fusion? I'd love to hear a '93 Jungle-Techno set from him.

rage
Old Skool Don Daddy
Old Skool Don Daddy

Post by rage » Sat Dec 06, 2014 12:42 am

I wonder if Andy has had his head turned by Fresh, making millions with his chart crap and living it up in LA. He will end up with the scene turning its back on him if he goes too far with it, I've seen a lot of stuff from big names on FB discussing selling out even if not going as far as mentioning names!

Randall was cold man, dark and rolling but still with that funky edge that kept the vibes bubbling. The kind of DnB he is playing is where its at right now, cant get enough of it. It was Shabba who really surprised me, he was great 10 years ago but seemed to fall off a bit. He was amazing though coming out with bar after bar of fresh lyrics, could tell Randall was loving it he kept smiling and laughing. The crowd were lapping it up.

Ric

Post by Ric » Sat Dec 06, 2014 9:38 pm

dj_gyr8 wrote:Hi,

Agreed, those are the only good tracks IMO, it is a shame the productions didn't stay as good through 93 onwards.

I still think both sound more like 'engineers' tracks...
Same here. Never thought Divine Rhythm was by Rap, it's just too good for a first attempt. The Heaven remix of Digable Bass is so well produced....nah, not her. Pete Parsons most likely did the whole thing. As for Divine Rhythm...I do wonder who wrote that one.

Restless
Old Skool Don Daddy
Old Skool Don Daddy

Post by Restless » Sat Dec 06, 2014 9:46 pm

rage wrote:I wonder if Andy has had his head turned by Fresh, making millions with his chart crap and living it up in LA. He will end up with the scene turning its back on him if he goes too far with it, I've seen a lot of stuff from big names on FB discussing selling out even if not going as far as mentioning names!

Randall was cold man, dark and rolling but still with that funky edge that kept the vibes bubbling. The kind of DnB he is playing is where its at right now, cant get enough of it. It was Shabba who really surprised me, he was great 10 years ago but seemed to fall off a bit. He was amazing though coming out with bar after bar of fresh lyrics, could tell Randall was loving it he kept smiling and laughing. The crowd were lapping it up.
What big names were slating Andy? He deserves to be a megastar. He has carried Drum & Bass for years.

What's the D&B room like at Fusin events? Moody or Vibes?