Which of the big names from the 90's still deliver?

Old Skool chat, tune discussions.
No tape packs or mix tape posts in the forum please!
Restless
Old Skool Don Daddy
Old Skool Don Daddy

Which of the big names from the 90's still deliver?

Post by Restless » Sat Nov 22, 2014 12:36 pm

Be it Hardcore, Happy Hardcore, Jungle or D&B - Which big name (s) still play great sets and haven't declined?

Matt
Regular
Regular

Re: Which of the big names from the 90's still deliver?

Post by Matt » Sat Nov 22, 2014 1:19 pm

From what I've heard, Slipmat.

wigster
Oldskool Raver
Oldskool Raver

Post by wigster » Sun Nov 23, 2014 11:04 am

Maybe I'm easily pleased, but from what I saw at Fantazia last night a fair few of them do!

Slipmatt - Great old skool set in the main arena and even better drum and bass one in room 2
Nicky Blackmarket - rapid-fire tune after tune, crowd loving it
Ratpack - not everyone's cup of tea, but can't argue that everyone goes mental when they come on
SY - lovely uplifting tunes & spot on scratching

...and one who did surprise me:

Dougal - great mix of non anthem-fest old skool and happy stuff. Plus his mixing has greatly improved from BITD!!

lentrix
Old Skool Don Daddy
Old Skool Don Daddy

Post by lentrix » Mon Nov 24, 2014 1:46 pm

Randall - still plays a top set - no errors, decent selection.

Ratty - rare, but set is always top notch.

Heard Sy for the 1st time in ages - top 92/93 set - no usual anthems.

for new stuff LTJ Bukem is still on top form
Last edited by lentrix on Tue Nov 25, 2014 2:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Traffic Cone
The Messiah of the 21st Century

Post by Traffic Cone » Mon Nov 24, 2014 3:49 pm

definitely agreed with Ratty. would also add Producer.

Easygroove - heard him a couple of times in recent years and enjoyed it. listened to a set of him at some oldskool party a couple of months back playing oldskool gabba which was great...heard a couple of stories of him emptying rooms by playing sets of obscure ragga jungle that didn't go down well but I think you can at least expect him not to play the obvious, which is the main problem with most of the 90s names who don't still deliver.

similarly Vibes, sort of - maybe not always spot on but at least not predictable. and the last time i heard him at Bust an Old Jam last year he was great - breakbeaty 94/95, a fair few i hadn't heard at a rave in ages/ever.

actually Sy also at Bust an Old Jam was great - playing mid 90s happy but loads of the better tunes he played, as opposed to the anthems. even if he did also play his version of Discoland which i hate :D

retrospect
Oldskool Raver
Oldskool Raver

Post by retrospect » Sat Nov 29, 2014 6:02 pm

Any DJs that play new music are delivering. Oldskool hardcore belongs in the past, it finished about 20 years ago.

Restless
Old Skool Don Daddy
Old Skool Don Daddy

Post by Restless » Sat Nov 29, 2014 8:31 pm

retrospect wrote:Any DJs that play new music are delivering. Oldskool hardcore belongs in the past, it finished about 20 years ago.
Slating a genre on a specific forum, yet you've got an old-themed username? Do you actually like Hardcore?!

retrospect
Oldskool Raver
Oldskool Raver

Post by retrospect » Sun Nov 30, 2014 8:20 pm

I think you may misunderstand me Restless, I absolutely love hardcore and have done since 1990 when it started. Seeing the culture & music evolving from acid house & developing in to hardcore by drawing influences from new beat, ragga & uk hip hop is the best thing that happened in my youth. I am in no doubt that 1988-1993 was the greatest period for dance music particularly in the country i grew up in, England. So yes i like hardcore.

However my opinion of what an excellent DJ does and what they represent is different to what oldskool DJs do. In 1991 & 1992 slipmatt & top buzz were delivering. They were pushing forward an exciting new sound that was innovative and was at the heart of a revolutionary scene. That's the total opposite of what they do now. I can still enjoy the tunes they play but they're not doing much different to what most of us on the forum could do, perhaps they're even worse on the decks than most of us on the forum.

DJ/producers like DBridge are miles ahead of what ratpack & co are doing now.

Restless
Old Skool Don Daddy
Old Skool Don Daddy

Post by Restless » Sun Nov 30, 2014 10:29 pm

That I can agree on.

You just put it in a way which was like 'F*ck Oldskool, it needs to be in the past!' Kinda thing. ;-)

I do agree that seeing the old hardcore DJ's & MC's nowadays is like watching a bloated Elvis play, But what else can they do now? It's way too late to let any new blood in (I thought that they all should've bowed out on NYE '99) but they're still here nearly 15 years later playing without any desire, passion or skill (well, most of them. Slipmatt still delivers).

I've always thought that about DJ'ing - Never outstay your welcome! If you're in your prime and you know it, enjoy it by all means. But as soon as you start to slip? Get outta there with some dignity left intact! DJ's with 25+ years experience who still clang = Leeches.

aize
Old Skool Master
Old Skool Master

Post by aize » Mon Dec 01, 2014 9:17 am

It was a few years ago now, but we had Doc Scott play an old school set at one of our nights an he feckin killed it. Loads of obscure tunes like this one https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=05xalnS5bA8 (sticks in the memory as I'd just picked up a copy) lots of proper mentasm stuff then into early jungle by the end.

Tango was also great, playing lots of his own vips and dub plates.

Finally, Mark Archer, saw him play a late 80s acid house/techno set that was definitely one of the best sets I've ever seen. Mixing was absolutely spot on, tune selection faultless.

I guess it depends on what you think of as delivering. For me, it doesn't have to be about playing new music, pushing new boundaries but about playing with passion and clearly loving what you're doing, rather than just phoning it in.

(As a side note, don't think it's any coincidence that all of the djs above are still making tunes and a lot of the big names that've pretty much turned into novelty acts, playing the same tired sets, don't)

Restless
Old Skool Don Daddy
Old Skool Don Daddy

Post by Restless » Mon Dec 01, 2014 2:46 pm

Mark Archer is a bad man.

I've seen him play a few times and his mixing is airtight. He is a seriously overlooked yet awesome DJ.

Delivering, to me, is when a DJ can still mix seamless/tight after many years of doing so and she bore dome should've took a hold year ago but hasn't. Not to mention that they are technically sound and actually play with passion and not for the pay check.

Randall, Mark Archer, Ratty, Cox, Slipmatt, Bukem.. These guys do everything that I mentioned above and do it on they highest level. Awesome DJ's who after all theses years are still on top.

lentrix
Old Skool Don Daddy
Old Skool Don Daddy

Post by lentrix » Mon Dec 01, 2014 4:45 pm

Restless wrote: Delivering, to me, is when a DJ can still mix seamless/tight after many years of doing so and she bore dome should've took a hold year ago but hasn't. Not to mention that they are technically sound and actually play with passion and not for the pay check.

Randall, Mark Archer, Ratty, Cox, Slipmatt, Bukem.. These guys do everything that I mentioned above and do it on they highest level. Awesome DJ's who after all theses years are still on top.

100% agree

DJ ABO

Post by DJ ABO » Mon Dec 01, 2014 10:53 pm

Pilgrim, Ratty, Mark Archer, Sy

Restless
Old Skool Don Daddy
Old Skool Don Daddy

Post by Restless » Tue Dec 02, 2014 12:16 am

Great shout on Pilgrim. Criminally underrated DJ.

I've seen him tear it up BIG TIME. Proper top geezer as well.

DJ ABO

Post by DJ ABO » Tue Dec 02, 2014 6:54 am

Restless wrote:Great shout on Pilgrim. Criminally underrated DJ.

I've seen him tear it up BIG TIME. Proper top geezer as well.
Yeah I chatted to him at Riverdance, sound geezer and a rough set!