How do you set up your mixer?

Old Skool chat, tune discussions.
No tape packs or mix tape posts in the forum please!
Ornette
Old Skool Master
Old Skool Master

How do you set up your mixer?

Post by Ornette » Tue Nov 04, 2014 6:29 pm

Just a quick thread, prompted by me getting a new mixer but also going round others for a mix - how do you set up your mixer? :D

I had a Numark DM1000x for some time, well from getting my decks actually, and was always prompted by the grey markings between 6 & 8 on the channels

This prompted to me to have the levels at 7, and to put the gain at half way just like the bass & treble - with the master volume at max for a ±0dB output. This worked well mostly, if a tune was overly loud or quiet I would raise or lower the gain, and during mixing I would sometimes move the levels up & down in conjunction with the crossfader

But, would always aim to keep that mixer back in that 'ready' state - levels at 7, gain half way and master at full.

Unfortunately it always seemed playing on other setups they'd have it set up different which always made me a bit frustrated!

So just out of curiosity, how do you have yours set up and why/what reasoning for it?

dj_gyr8
Old Skool Don Daddy
Old Skool Don Daddy

Re: How do you set up your mixer?

Post by dj_gyr8 » Wed Nov 05, 2014 11:07 am

Hi,

Yes, always good in studio or at home to have extra head-space for tracks that require more volume.

Clubs obviously worry about their soundsystem, so often have limiters set.

Can be annoying, as meant quiet tracks you could play at home, simply couldn't be played in a club...

Restless
Old Skool Don Daddy
Old Skool Don Daddy

Post by Restless » Wed Nov 05, 2014 11:20 am

Jesus that's a basic mixer! :lol: :lol:

Ornette
Old Skool Master
Old Skool Master

Post by Ornette » Wed Nov 05, 2014 1:17 pm

dj_gyr8 wrote:Yes, always good in studio or at home to have extra head-space for tracks that require more volume.

Clubs obviously worry about their soundsystem, so often have limiters set.

Can be annoying, as meant quiet tracks you could play at home, simply couldn't be played in a club...
Well yes I agree, and from going round on other's setups I often find their default is to have the channel levels at max, which always annoys me

because I may want to temporarily have a channel much louder like if I am blending in a tune's intro and I want it to 'cut through' the mix? Tweaking on the gains can work but its not very flexible if your hand is on the crossfader to reach above, where as a quick flick up on the channels can be done with an index finger

As for the mixer - well it done the job for many years, thats for sure! :lol:

It was a toss up between that and the 1100x at the time (1996). I think I went for the lesser model mostly because I thought the punch buttons could be useful. Turned out they were crap as they worked in 'reverse'. Other than that couldn't complain too much about it - functional, sturdy, decent sound

dj jedi

Post by dj jedi » Wed Nov 05, 2014 2:27 pm

Interesting question! Personally:

- All EQs at 0/middle
- All gains set to 0/middle
- Master gain to whatever reaches just below red on the VU meter
- Channel faders all the way to the top

So basically I would describe my set up as 'reset'. I often see DJs start off sets with the EQs and gains cranked right up, and the Master volume as solid red!

dreamweave
Old Skool Master
Old Skool Master

Post by dreamweave » Wed Nov 05, 2014 4:18 pm

dj jedi wrote:Interesting question! Personally:

- All EQs at 0/middle
- All gains set to 0/middle
- Master gain to whatever reaches just below red on the VU meter
- Channel faders all the way to the top
Same here, my mate uses the channels as a crossfader and gains to mix track volumes but its something I can't get used to.

dj_gyr8
Old Skool Don Daddy
Old Skool Don Daddy

Post by dj_gyr8 » Wed Nov 05, 2014 5:56 pm

Hi,

Agree with Jedi, you want room left of the GAINs, as these are pre-amps. You want the main volume on the X and Y faders, through the master.

I think best to use the master to up to the red peaks - like Jedi says.

Some DJ's prefer to use the X and Y faders to increase gain if a track is a bit quiet, but I like to keep the X and Y ready for actual mixing, as with house, trance, etc you don't want to use the crossfader to mix.

It is pretty simply, we all seen people just max everything, but that is a big no-no!

Note: I often increase the HI-EQ slightly, and decrease the MID-EQ slightly - makes for a much nicer sound.

Note: avoid increasing the LOW-EQ, some people think, "more BASS", but in fact you simply distort, and it sounds terrible at the back of the venue.

Hence: use your monitor speakers wisely...

rage
Old Skool Don Daddy
Old Skool Don Daddy

Post by rage » Wed Nov 05, 2014 6:43 pm

Same as Jedi other than my default eq is usually at the 2 o clock position, just to give the music a little boost. Some mixers don't like having their channel faders maxed and will distort so I don't think there is such a thing as a perfect setup, depends what works for your mixer. My Empath has got crossfader for channels so I guess it's designed to have them set to max, but my mates A+H is better at about 7/10.

AtomSmasher
Old Skool Master
Old Skool Master

Post by AtomSmasher » Wed Nov 05, 2014 6:57 pm

I haven't mixed at home for over 4 years (Jesus where's that gone!!!), but my default was x-fader in the middle, and use channel faders to mix, with EQs starting at middle, and gains at around middle - 3/4ish (I think).........
If I was mixing Hardcore I'd be more inclined to use the x-fader but even then I prefer using the channels if I can.

oz
He never locked his car door

Post by oz » Wed Nov 05, 2014 7:21 pm

Usually have all the eq's set with a bit to spare along with the gains.
Have the faders set to instant as I usually use the cross fader and the up faders during a mix.

Will use the gain to bring in a tune gently but hardly ever do this with breakbeat stuff.
Usually mix with the bass in the incoming track down most of the time.
Hate really quiet tunes.

Ornette
Old Skool Master
Old Skool Master

Post by Ornette » Wed Nov 05, 2014 9:01 pm

Well this is interesting, and people have a lot different ways of mixing than I expected

I always have my eq's set to neutral which typically is where the dip is, and adjust as I feel for each tune. But I never use channels for blending as some have described, I always use the crossfader

But interesting on what Gyr-8 touched upon and was what I was wondering about when I started this thread. You see I realised from the little electronics I know that volumes actually work by drawing the signal down to -∞dB - I discovered one day when removing the crossfader both channels would come through.

So in the middle, a crossfader will have no resistance to the X or Y channel, and at either end, full resistance (or a break in the circuit) to mute the opposite. I've supposed the X & Y channel levels must work in the same way - at max no resistance and at min full resistance

But according to you the gains are actually different then, and infact work as pre-amps you say? :-k

Restless
Old Skool Don Daddy
Old Skool Don Daddy

Post by Restless » Wed Nov 05, 2014 9:33 pm

Everything at 12 o'clock (that can change depending on the mastering of a tune, though).

Fader in the middle. I prefer it to be on a 'straight' setting for scratching.

Use the EQ's to blend. The very best sets that I've ever heard (sonically) have been via the EQ's.

I barley touch the channels once I've got them up and in the mix.

oz

Post by oz » Wed Nov 05, 2014 10:38 pm

Gain is usually a round knob which means it's a potentiometer. This varies the resistance and controls the circuit around the op amp or pre amp. Kinda guessing here not really worked with much audio stuff.

CMcDougall

Post by CMcDougall » Wed Nov 05, 2014 11:55 pm

leave all EQ's at 0/middle, as that's why they master music first before pressing it! (well... most did)
my mixer still rocks!

dj jedi

Post by dj jedi » Thu Nov 06, 2014 8:39 am

CMcDougall wrote:leave all EQ's at 0/middle, as that's why they master music first before pressing it! (well... most did)
Awesome mixer, classic! :lol:

Yeah agreed, unless the track was produced or mastered/pressed badly, leave everything alone.