Listening to oldskool in 2014 on?

Old Skool chat, tune discussions.
No tape packs or mix tape posts in the forum please!
Richruffcut
Oldskool Raver
Oldskool Raver

Re: Listening to oldskool in 2014 on?

Post by Richruffcut » Thu Oct 30, 2014 7:27 pm

Nits wrote:Right now a crappy Biema W110II and RCL (also crappy but surprisingly the combo sounds ok hooked up to the pc) speakers that I picked up in a cash converter type shop (perhaps it was actually cash converter?!) for a bit over 100 notes, but am just putting on the finishing touches of paint (we moved in less than 2 years ago) to the "vinyl den", before I put in the shelving/desk and plumb in the sound which will be QSC GX5 AMP running a pair of JBL M-Series M350s (they were what I wanted but couldn't afford back in 93 :p ). 1210's too of course. Can't wait... shouldn't be long now till it's all finished :D I know I said before, but the last few months have really been progressing, and it's looking like I'll finish this winter as long as the weather stays useless/too wet outdoors :D
Nice mate you should post up some pics when you have completed "vinyl den" sounds like my kinda place. BITD i used to go to this record shop that had JBL's cant remember which ones but it was 93/94 and when you got the tunes home they never sounded nothing like what they did in the shop since then ive always liked JBL speakers. Eazy Nits

Nits
Old Skool Master
Old Skool Master

Post by Nits » Fri Oct 31, 2014 12:20 am

Richruffcut wrote:Nice mate you should post up some pics when you have completed "vinyl den" sounds like my kinda place. BITD i used to go to this record shop that had JBL's cant remember which ones but it was 93/94 and when you got the tunes home they never sounded nothing like what they did in the shop since then ive always liked JBL speakers. Eazy Nits

I will try to get a few pics of the construction as well as some when it's complete :)

Did you go to Black Market BITD? That may be where you came across the JBLs... they had a pair of M-series speakers just at the bottom of the stairs as you came into the basement.

They still sound as punchy/clear/loud as they did back then... granted they are about the largest/heaviest speakers you'd want for a home setup, but the quality of the sound from them can't be beat IMO... at least in my limited experience, which was mostly BITD.

Richruffcut
Oldskool Raver
Oldskool Raver

Post by Richruffcut » Sat Nov 01, 2014 2:53 pm

Nits wrote:
Richruffcut wrote:Nice mate you should post up some pics when you have completed "vinyl den" sounds like my kinda place. BITD i used to go to this record shop that had JBL's cant remember which ones but it was 93/94 and when you got the tunes home they never sounded nothing like what they did in the shop since then ive always liked JBL speakers. Eazy Nits

I will try to get a few pics of the construction as well as some when it's complete :)

Did you go to Black Market BITD? That may be where you came across the JBLs... they had a pair of M-series speakers just at the bottom of the stairs as you came into the basement.

They still sound as punchy/clear/loud as they did back then... granted they are about the largest/heaviest speakers you'd want for a home setup, but the quality of the sound from them can't be beat IMO... at least in my limited experience, which was mostly BITD.
Nah i dident shop in Blackmarket BITD. It was in a shop in Southampton called Adrenalin Records. Do you remember these release's

http://www.discogs.com/label/15806-Adrenalin-Records-UK

You have got me thinking now i might have to get a pair of JBL's

Nits
Old Skool Master
Old Skool Master

Post by Nits » Sat Nov 01, 2014 5:28 pm

I have a soft spot for Adrenalin Records I have to admit, especially the first few releases... top notch tunes!

If you're considering M-series (I'm sure you won't regret it!) I can give you the complete low down on my experience so far...

Firstly, here's a PDF with all the specs:
https://www.sendspace.com/file/31fe7a

M350s can be had on ebay for about £300-350 per cab, which is around what I paid IIRC (edit - my bad, I checked and I actually paid £450 for the pair). IMO you want an amp that does 500W RMS per channel into 8ohms to power them, but you have to be careful not to turn it up too much or put a distorted/clipped signal through the amp at high volume or you'll blow your speakers - it is a good match however if you want to get nearly every scrap of performance out of your speakers whist maintaining a small margin for error.

A 700W RMS amp is an even better match, but you have no margin for error - you could easily damage them with too much signal if you're not careful. Go for a 350W RMS amp if you are worried you might push it to much with a more powerful amp... they should still sound great, but you won't be able to annoy your neighbors quite as much and less chance of blowing them unless you are always turning it up and giving the cabs distorted/clipped signals.

You're looking at about £1K total for amp and speakers if you go for a relatively budget new 500W RMS amp. Leads and any other bits you may need will cost a bit more on top.

The one downside is that most people selling them will expect you to pick them up (or arrange a courier) - I had to drive from one side of the country to the other to pick mine up, and when I got there I was so knackered I didn't notice that the back-plates with speaker connectors were missing, so I had to get new plates and plate adapters (since the only new back-plates I could find did not fit) machined which I fitted myself.
YX9J3733.jpg
YX9J3787.jpg
YX9J3780.jpg
Luckily they still had all the other original components inducing internal crossovers - make sure yours are intact before handing over money!

They also very nearly did not fit in the car, but managed to get them in with a mm or two to spare!

So yeah, a bit of hassle, but well worth it IMO, and I think I would have to pay a fair bit more if I had bought new speakers of equivalent quality. IIRC a single M350 cab cost either about £1k or £2k (I can't remember which!) when they were available new!

Feel free to pick my brain if you have any questions.

Richruffcut
Oldskool Raver
Oldskool Raver

Post by Richruffcut » Sun Nov 02, 2014 9:30 pm

Thanks very much for all the info Nits

Nits
Old Skool Master
Old Skool Master

Post by Nits » Sat Nov 22, 2014 6:29 pm

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/JBL-M350-MK2- ... SS:GB:1120

Possibly of interest to you Rich, but worth finding out from the seller what the deal is regarding the "Mk 2" designation... I'm not sure how Mk 1 and Mk 2 compare, and the link in the description appears to be for the Mk 1 specs! Note also that they appear to have been re-painted (like mine and many others I've seen for sale recently) - AFAIK they were only available in the grey finish.

Richruffcut
Oldskool Raver
Oldskool Raver

Post by Richruffcut » Sat Nov 22, 2014 8:33 pm

Nits wrote:http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/JBL-M350-MK2- ... SS:GB:1120

Possibly of interest to you Rich, but worth finding out from the seller what the deal is regarding the "Mk 2" designation... I'm not sure how Mk 1 and Mk 2 compare, and the link in the description appears to be for the Mk 1 specs! Note also that they appear to have been re-painted (like mine and many others I've seen for sale recently) - AFAIK they were only available in the grey finish.
Thanks for the heads up Nits top man. That is a long way for me to drive tho. Im still going to look out for a pair but as you say not many about. How do you think an old set of jbl's will compare to my new rcf's???

Thanks bud

Nits
Old Skool Master
Old Skool Master

Post by Nits » Sat Nov 22, 2014 10:13 pm

It sounds like the seller might be able to send by courier. Whilst it would probably be better to pick them up so you could check them out before buying yourself, I'd say that as long as you ask the seller a few questions (eg. are all parts original and is there anything missing?) you should be covered if there are any surprises when you get them. If the worst comes to the worst and they have to go back, ebay will usually (in my experience) back you up and get your money back for you if necessary providing the seller has lied or misinformed you about some aspect.

In the past I've even got to keep the item as well as got the full refund for an item that was not as described and would have been un-economical for me to return. You could also look into using ESCROW (if the seller is willing) if you want to be ultra-cautious which means you wouldn't have to give the seller any money till you had the item and were happy that it was "as described".

I honestly couldn't say how they'd compare without hearing them "side-by-side", but I would bet the JBLs are at least as good if not better. Give ESCROW a go and let us know :) I assume you have an amp already?

You could at least get a rough idea if they would sound louder by comparing sensitivity/SPL specs of both - the M350 Mk1s had a sensitivity (how efficient they are at converting watts to "loudness") of 99db (2.83 V, 1 m) which very respectable even by today's standards, and max. continuous SPL of 124 dB which is how loud they sound when run continuously flat out at level that is not quite enough to damage them. I would assume the Mk 2s have the same or very similar specs, but it might be worth you doing some digging to make sure.

Of course what you get out of them will also depend on the amp and how well matched it is.

The other thing to note is that they sound quite tatty cosmetically, so unless you don't mind them as they are, you'll have to get the front grills off so as you can clean/re-paint them. It's quite straightforward to do once you know how to do it. If you end up with a pair let me know and I'll explain :)

Nits
Old Skool Master
Old Skool Master

Post by Nits » Sun Nov 30, 2014 5:49 pm

Another pair:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Jbl-m-series- ... 2345e59d3a

Not sure about the cracked plastic moldings though. Apart from that they look really nice.