Remarc b2b Hype

Old Skool chat, tune discussions.
No tape packs or mix tape posts in the forum please!
MR RINSE
Oldskool Raver
Oldskool Raver

Remarc b2b Hype

Post by MR RINSE » Fri Oct 10, 2014 8:38 pm

Imo this would have been a killer combination back in the day, proper turntablism, hardcore style.

Surely such a set must exist considering they seem to be best mates on twitter and obviously have been for a long time.

Although... Hype seemed to hate 92, or at least there is a distinct lake of Hype 1992 sets out there.

Does anyone know of a set?

Restless
Old Skool Don Daddy
Old Skool Don Daddy

Re: Remarc b2b Hype

Post by Restless » Fri Oct 10, 2014 10:05 pm

Nope, but I'd love to hear one if you get one!

Hype, for me, is the don. He had the scene sewn up in the 90's. F*cking awesome DJ.

He, to me, is a REAL DJ. Skills in abundance, great selector, presence, stupidly consistent and made it in an era where you HAD to be good otherwise you were nowhere.

He mixed a CD called "Jungle Massive" in 2000/1. Best Jungle set I've ever heard, and I've heard hundreds. So on point on every level.

MR RINSE
Oldskool Raver
Oldskool Raver

Post by MR RINSE » Sat Oct 11, 2014 3:07 am

Agreed Restless but Remarc was having it up hardcore on weekend rush, faster scratch style and quicker on the draw.

Screw jungle massive CD's btw check out almost any Fantasy Fm sets from 90/91 and check what Hype could really do.

extreme
Old Skool Master
Old Skool Master

Post by extreme » Sat Oct 11, 2014 8:44 am

https://s3-eu-west-1.amazonaws.com/hard ... lse+FM.mp3

This was one of my most played tapes, Its not the full set unfortunately its one of those stop starters but it has a bit of Remarc at the start. Check the Hi Tec Muuusic scratch at the beginning ..

Restless
Old Skool Don Daddy
Old Skool Don Daddy

Post by Restless » Sat Oct 11, 2014 9:52 am

MR RINSE wrote:Agreed Restless but Remarc was having it up hardcore on weekend rush, faster scratch style and quicker on the draw.

Screw jungle massive CD's btw check out almost any Fantasy Fm sets from 90/91 and check what Hype could really do.
I've heard a ton of them - all awesome. It's just that around the time Hype made the cd that I mentioned was when he was bang in the middle of his prime. Everything was on-point. ;-)

pinhead1000
Old Skool Master
Old Skool Master

Post by pinhead1000 » Sat Oct 11, 2014 10:37 am

i used to have a hype tape from kinetic from 92 that was amazing but sadly its long gone would love to get another copy me and the lads used to caine the hell out of it

dreamweave
Old Skool Master
Old Skool Master

Post by dreamweave » Sat Oct 11, 2014 3:53 pm

extreme wrote:https://s3-eu-west-1.amazonaws.com/hard ... lse+FM.mp3

This was one of my most played tapes, Its not the full set unfortunately its one of those stop starters but it has a bit of Remarc at the start. Check the Hi Tec Muuusic scratch at the beginning ..
My god, I used to have this set years ago and lost it, haven't hear it for a good 10 years. Thank you, completely forgot about it.

MR RINSE
Oldskool Raver
Oldskool Raver

Post by MR RINSE » Sun Oct 12, 2014 3:52 pm

Extreme, that set is wicked, not heard it in a while! A prime example.

Restless - I know what you mean just though he got a bit lazy after mid 90's. We used to cain the world dance cd at school which was about 96. Can't really say I've heard much that's inspired me from him since. Do you have a link to the one your talking about?

Restless
Old Skool Don Daddy
Old Skool Don Daddy

Post by Restless » Sun Oct 12, 2014 4:14 pm

MR RINSE wrote:Extreme, that set is wicked, not heard it in a while! A prime example.

Restless - I know what you mean just though he got a bit lazy after mid 90's. We used to cain the world dance cd at school which was about 96. Can't really say I've heard much that's inspired me from him since. Do you have a link to the one your talking about?
Funny you should mention WD, as I bought a Hype/Ellis Dee cd of WD's the other day! Haha.

Check on Mixcloud for DJ Hype, Jungle Massive. ;-)

MR RINSE
Oldskool Raver
Oldskool Raver

Post by MR RINSE » Sun Oct 12, 2014 4:19 pm

Restless - Thats the CD

CD1 Hype
CD2 Ellis Dee

Was a big favourite bitd. Will have a look on mixcloud
Last edited by MR RINSE on Sun Oct 12, 2014 4:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Restless
Old Skool Don Daddy
Old Skool Don Daddy

Post by Restless » Sun Oct 12, 2014 4:22 pm

I'm not the biggest fan of Ellis Dee, in all honesty. But I'm digging that set big time! It's on in the car.

Hype, to me, seemed like he didn't put any effort into compilations back then. Different story completely when he was playing out, though!

phil
Old Skool Don Daddy
Old Skool Don Daddy

Post by phil » Mon Oct 13, 2014 1:25 pm

for me hype was most popular between 94-96, great dj imo

pineappletribe
Old Skool Don Daddy
Old Skool Don Daddy

Post by pineappletribe » Mon Oct 13, 2014 2:21 pm

Restless wrote:He, to me, is a REAL DJ. Skills in abundance, great selector, presence, stupidly consistent and made it in an era where you HAD to be good otherwise you were nowhere.

Quality DJ for sure -> but i totally disagree with the 'had to be good in that era' comment.

I thought so many of the big name dj's were purely that. In comparison to the undergound dj's of the time, i found the majority of the big names awful.

dj_gyr8
Old Skool Don Daddy
Old Skool Don Daddy

Post by dj_gyr8 » Mon Oct 13, 2014 2:46 pm

Hi,

I've heard some Remarc sets that better Hype, but most ppl rate Hype more, due to him being a bigger name, and playing the bigger events.

tricky
Oldskool Raver
Oldskool Raver

Post by tricky » Mon Oct 13, 2014 5:45 pm

i used to work at fantasy fm , and seeing hype get a demo /dub given to him before he went on stage to do his set and just quickly skim a listen through it, then mix it straight in , scratch it and mix out always stuck with me, where other dj's had there sets completely set out and in order, hype would just free style the whole thing and still sound tight

also remarc done a remix of one of my tracks which we didnt know he had done! called him up and he wasnt very concerned, the label sold the rights to another label and got him to remix it(in my opinion ,murder it)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M3x1kzAnPbA remarc mix
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=58v82gKNHrc original

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FMw5lx4Ag8U remarc mix

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Z7xv5MJKk4 our original