Modern Day Music and DJs

Old Skool chat, tune discussions.
No tape packs or mix tape posts in the forum please!
oz
He never locked his car door

Modern Day Music and DJs

Post by oz » Wed Jul 30, 2014 4:35 pm

Dance music has never been so popular there's drum and bass in the charts, played live at festivals and even on primetime TV shows like Masterchef.
Just about every man and their dog is a DJ and can easily get access to the latest tracks for free.
There's so much more 'friendly' equipment to make music on and produce professional sounding music.

All my life I wanted others to experience the incredible music I have been into all my life but the irony is now they are and it's all just emotionless watered down shite.

Why is it that most people prefer terrible versions of music rather than the decent underground stuff?

Is it laziness, lack of taste or just following the crowd?

Seeing thousands lap up nonsense like Calvin Harris and Rudimental at festivals makes me wonder if it's better that we have experienced the best that dance music has to offer?

Bit of a rant but basically I'm asking would you rather everyone liked good music rather than just following the crowd?

I've known people who loved rave music then loved hip hop then oasis then whatever everyone else liked.
I really don't get what makes these people tick? Are they too insecure to like a certain music and stick to it even if a friend doesn't?
Maybe I'm just turning into a moaning old fart?

:lol:

Restless
Old Skool Don Daddy
Old Skool Don Daddy

Re: Modern Day Music and DJs

Post by Restless » Wed Jul 30, 2014 6:55 pm

Hate it.

Some of the House music is awesome due to there being a slump in the 00's (dance music was dead from 2002-2007) and the equipment is obviously the best it's ever been, but dance music nowadays will NEVER touch what went on in the 90's!

1990-1999? Unbelievable times for fresh ideas, new genres and styles. Everything was fresh and new. Now it's recycled. I think the last original genre was Shitestep.

dreamweave
Old Skool Master
Old Skool Master

Post by dreamweave » Wed Jul 30, 2014 7:59 pm

Restless wrote:Hate it.

Some of the House music is awesome due to there being a slump in the 00's (dance music was dead from 2002-2007) and the equipment is obviously the best it's ever been, but dance music nowadays will NEVER touch what went on in the 90's!

1990-1999? Unbelievable times for fresh ideas, new genres and styles. Everything was fresh and new. Now it's recycled. I think the last original genre was Shitestep.
So true, what new music has there been in the last ten years apart from dubstep, which is just awful? How is drum and bass still so massive when the genre has not progressed at all for years, it just sounds so stagnant. There is no originality with modern music. House is massive but is just recycled. Looking at a festival like Global Gathering, the line up is just laughable for Britain's biggest dance music festival. It does seem that people follow trends now due to popularity rather than for the love of the music.

Restless
Old Skool Don Daddy
Old Skool Don Daddy

Post by Restless » Wed Jul 30, 2014 9:04 pm

dreamweave wrote:
Restless wrote:Hate it.

So true, what new music has there been in the last ten years apart from dubstep, which is just awful? How is drum and bass still so massive when the genre has not progressed at all for years, it just sounds so stagnant. There is no originality with modern music. House is massive but is just recycled. Looking at a festival like Global Gathering, the line up is just laughable for Britain's biggest dance music festival. It does seem that people follow trends now due to popularity rather than for the love of the music.
Agreed.

Modern House music just takes its cue from the House & Garage sound of the mid 90's.

Global is beyond laughable. There used to be a massive array of types when it first started: Breaks, Prog House, Techno, D&B, Hard House, Garage, Trance... Everything. Really underground as well. You would go into a tent and it would be COMPLETELY different from the previous one in terms of crowd, music style and fashion - now it's just Joey Essex clones and shit druggie dance music. Now it's got idiots like Tinie Tempha, Dizzie Rascal etc there. Shocking stuff.

nebkins
Old Skool Don Daddy
Old Skool Don Daddy

Post by nebkins » Wed Jul 30, 2014 9:38 pm

There are fucking loads of wankers out there. I'd rather they didnt like the same music as me

Restless
Old Skool Don Daddy
Old Skool Don Daddy

Post by Restless » Wed Jul 30, 2014 9:40 pm

nebkins wrote:There are fcuking loads of wankers out there. I'd rather they didnt like the same music as me
:lol: :lol:

Same as mate.

The_Ruffneck
Old Skool Master
Old Skool Master

Post by The_Ruffneck » Thu Jul 31, 2014 8:09 am

They've removed alot of barriers.Say pressing 1000 vinyl cost 4000 pounds (or whatever it is), If i made 15 tracks i would put the best 2-4 on the record.Nowdays they just release all of them because it's so easy to release digital files.Anyone can buy (or pirate) music making software and put together some cheesy garbage.

Some good acid techno still coming out if you're into that thing, apart from that it's a wasteland.If you think dubstep is bad check out "Trap".Horrific.

oz

Post by oz » Thu Jul 31, 2014 4:16 pm

Think there was definitely a turning point in drum and bass around 2000 when producers like dillinja and high contrast just nailed a certain style and have been doing so ever since.
It's funny when you hear people calling it groundbreaking.
It's like paint by numbers.

deebom
Oldskool Raver
Oldskool Raver

Post by deebom » Thu Jul 31, 2014 4:49 pm

There is a lot of good dubstep, I love it. It's Jungle in a new format.

Traffic Cone
The Messiah of the 21st Century

Post by Traffic Cone » Thu Jul 31, 2014 6:56 pm

I think it's worth remembering that so much ground has been covered in dance music that there's far less room to be really different to what's come before. A lot of the variety of the 90s was just because it was new, and so was the technology.

I'd quite like more people to be into the music I really like. Just for practical reasons - more nights, more new tunes...

I think a lot of people do like music but it just isn't their main interest or passion. So they're happy to go with the flow a bit more I guess. Sometimes makes them more open minded than the die-hard purists too! Also I find sometimes it's more fun at raves when the crowd are more just up for a party rather than there just for the music.

Not much new music I like these days either. The styles which always used to be my favourite for modern music (those on the more headache-inducing side) have become a bit boring in the past couple of years. I think partly the over-clean production is at fault. I like some of the...i don't know what the pigeonhole is really, but i really like that sort of ridiculous bassline stuff by Rrritalin et al. And some of the new jungle is awesome - Warped Dynamics in particular, but i've heard some good new jungle that isn't yet more ragga, nor is it forgettable over-chopped Scientific Wax style.

But saying that, I remember thinking the same in the mid 00s - now I look back there's loads of stuff from that time which I really love now. It was just in styles I wasn't following. So maybe someday some new music will do it again :)

AtomSmasher
Old Skool Master
Old Skool Master

Post by AtomSmasher » Thu Jul 31, 2014 7:01 pm

I can't remember the last time that i could be bothered to listen to anything new. Which makes me feel a bit sad in a way. I used to love checking new tunes out.
Times change i guess.
As far as festivals go, they've become a mainstream activity. And so they'll be full of mainstream artists and music......

Traffic Cone

Post by Traffic Cone » Thu Jul 31, 2014 7:10 pm

it's a sad fact of getting older that you'll never find anything new as exciting as when you discovered it as a teenager or thereabouts :(

Ric

Post by Ric » Fri Aug 01, 2014 12:07 pm

Get yourselves on Juno. Just take a listen to stuff from various genres, you'll find stuff that excites you.
As for music recycling, this been going on since the dawn of music. Every genre has taken it's influences from somewhere else. Take a listen to the drums at the start of Stone Roses I am the resurrection then listen to Wham! I'm your man.
Same drums...shockingly. And that drum pattern comes from Motown, which probably took it's influences from elsewhere....and on it goes.
Stuff no longer sounds fresh to us because we aren't fresh! :)
Many people have always just skimmed the surface when it comes to music - it's the reason our scene was underground.

Spangle8
Regular
Regular

Post by Spangle8 » Sat Aug 02, 2014 4:54 pm

Dubstep is the new jungle? LOL, and as for there's loads of good dubstep about, sorry but i dont agree, occasionally i hear reasonable drum and bass or even future jungle thats not bad, but dubstep? Sorry but i wont ever be able to abide by it. I dont like the format, never have, never will.

Restless
Old Skool Don Daddy
Old Skool Don Daddy

Post by Restless » Sat Aug 02, 2014 6:46 pm

One thing that is better today is the mastering! But the smoking ban killed dancefloors all over.