NEW VINYL

Old Skool chat, tune discussions.
No tape packs or mix tape posts in the forum please!
dj_gyr8
Old Skool Don Daddy
Old Skool Don Daddy

NEW VINYL

Post by dj_gyr8 » Tue Apr 08, 2014 4:33 pm

Hi,

Since last year, there has been a real lack of new vinyls, I mean represses, re-issues, unreleased tracks, etc.

I guess for some the thought of shifting 100 copies is too daunting now?

There was a time when they'd be approx 1 release per month on B2VOS...

In fact, there hasn't been any released yet in 2014

The_Ruffneck
Old Skool Master
Old Skool Master

Re: NEW VINYL

Post by The_Ruffneck » Wed Apr 09, 2014 1:41 am

Just need better advertising/marketing.Manix EP pressed 800 last year, 500 black 300 pic disc so the market is still out there.Its fair enough advertising on the forums here but hardly anyone uses forums nowadays.

silky
Oldskool Raver
Oldskool Raver

Post by silky » Wed Apr 09, 2014 3:48 am

Id really like to do a 2nd vinyl run. I have a couple of tracks id love to stick on Wax. But being in NZ it is now a little harder to do than before when I was in the UK.

The style of the tracks is Jungle Tekno so I am sure there is a small market for it but id like to press it using the best quality I can find but its so expensive to do this.

The happy medium is to get some pre orders done from people who actually want it then go to someone who does Lathe cuts instead, as I'm sure the amount id shift would be less than 50. Of course people would know before pre ordering that the quality would suffer slightly

I am aching for the buzz of doing doing a vinyl run again, especially as the 1st one I did was of my 1st ever works.

Anyone have any suggestions, I am not even looking to make money, breaking even would be great.

silky
Oldskool Raver
Oldskool Raver

Post by silky » Wed Apr 09, 2014 3:54 am

Just stumbled across this. Bloke is in NZ as well.

http://peterkinglathecutrecords.co.nz/info.htm

But postage would be a killer for overseas sales. So its prob best done in the UK via emails etc. Cool Idea though

The_Ruffneck
Old Skool Master
Old Skool Master

Post by The_Ruffneck » Wed Apr 09, 2014 10:59 am

KVA001 sold out on preorders alone a few months back.What about some 4 tracker releases with 2 'classic' tunes and 2 new tunes on?

dj_yt
Old Skool Master
Old Skool Master

Post by dj_yt » Wed Apr 09, 2014 11:32 am

There is still a market for vinyl. I Love Acid sold 300+ copies of their new vinyl EP in a couple of days.

https://balkanvinyl.bandcamp.com/album/ila001

The old skool scene is very artist orientated really, as reflected by event line-ups. I suspect getting some big names to make new tracks in an old style would go down well and help publicity.

The problem with represses is that there are few tunes that 100+ people want a copy of on vinyl. Most rarities are rare because they didn't sell well back in the day rather than sheer demand for them. (i.e. there are 50 buyers going after the remaining 10 copies, rather than hundreds of people after that particular tune).

Some names that spring to mind would shift units (i.e. around 300 or so new records) would be Hyper On Experience, Acen, The House Crew, Baby D, Wishdokta, Slipmatt, 4 Hero etc.

Beatgraphter_v_1.0
Oldskool Raver
Oldskool Raver

Post by Beatgraphter_v_1.0 » Wed Apr 09, 2014 11:49 am

dj_yt wrote:There is still a market for vinyl. I Love Acid sold 300+ copies of their new vinyl EP in a couple of days.

https://balkanvinyl.bandcamp.com/album/ila001
Gutted I didnt get a copy shamefully sat on it for too long ! doh .. however there are copies on Discogs

rebeast
Oldskool Raver
Oldskool Raver

Post by rebeast » Wed Apr 09, 2014 1:30 pm

100 pieces of effort, still remained 60, so I personally do not hurry to the next issue.

dj_gyr8
Old Skool Don Daddy
Old Skool Don Daddy

Post by dj_gyr8 » Wed Apr 09, 2014 4:24 pm

Hi,

So what 'new' releases have there been this year, thus far - as I've not really seen any.

Thrash
Oldskool Raver
Oldskool Raver

Post by Thrash » Wed Apr 09, 2014 4:33 pm

The AGT Rave Cru from I Love Acid played at my mates wedding back in February. :D
Last edited by Thrash on Wed Apr 09, 2014 6:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The_Ruffneck
Old Skool Master
Old Skool Master

Post by The_Ruffneck » Thu Apr 10, 2014 12:23 am

dj_gyr8 wrote:Hi,

So what 'new' releases have there been this year, thus far - as I've not really seen any.
Can't recall any forum releases but that hornsey hardcore came out a month ago and was a goodun.There was a thread on here about it.

dj jedi

Post by dj jedi » Thu Apr 10, 2014 9:12 am

Yes people seem to forget that it's not just the cost of the actual pressing. I also got lucky with the Fantazia records, some of the artists (that were contactable) were happy to go ahead with no fee, and even the 'well known' ones featured were happy with nominal fees because it was a small run. But even then it was very hard to break even, and I still haven't on the 5th one. So it's not quite as simple as "it costs £500 to do 100 white labels" as many people seem to think, having multiple tracks from different sources can easily double that cost.

Find me four artists with unreleased tracks they're happy to give away for free, and I'll do another one!

dj_gyr8
Old Skool Don Daddy
Old Skool Don Daddy

Post by dj_gyr8 » Thu Apr 10, 2014 12:53 pm

Hi,

It is a real shame that most producers will not allow pressings for tiny fees anymore.

Perhaps we can do more Pre-Sale only releases, so nobody loses money?

We also need to make it clear to producers that they are better off with £100 than nothing!

dj jedi

Post by dj jedi » Thu Apr 10, 2014 2:09 pm

There really is no incentive for a producer other than doing it because they want to. The license fees for a run of <500 records are chump change compared to the album sales licenses they are used to. So I get it, but personally I'd have no problem with somebody pressing one of my tracks if there was no money to be made. Surely it's just free promotion. Plus I'd love to know the percentage of 91-95 producers that still actually make a living out of music, it must be under 1%.

Spangle8
Regular
Regular

Post by Spangle8 » Mon Apr 14, 2014 2:27 pm

Im considering volume 2, but with it being a struggle just to break even im not so sure, paypal taking between 75 and 100 pounds of a 100 run make it even less worthwhile. By the time ive bought record mailers im actually out of pocket. Just getting to 100 sales last time took months, i reached 70 in reasonable time, but the last 30 was a real struggle. For little or no profit its barely worth it.