What happened to Mickey Skeedale ?

Old Skool chat, tune discussions.
No tape packs or mix tape posts in the forum please!
oldskoolforever
He never locked his car door

Re: What happened to Mickey Skeedale ?

Post by oldskoolforever » Tue Apr 08, 2014 11:28 am

ian saunders wrote:Just had another look, actually his involvement with hardcore ended in 2005, the stuff after was just remixes of his older tunes.
Agreed, that Bonkers 14 tune in 2005 seems to be his last production. Everything beyond is just remixes of his older stuff as you said.

Maybe he moved out of music scene completely after 2005 ?

dj jedi

Post by dj jedi » Tue Apr 08, 2014 11:56 am

I'd hazard a guess that he just got bored of being used and receiving no credit like everyone else with real talent does, eg Fade, Sunset Regime, Ham, DNA, my old mate Stormtrooper etc. Most of who people consider to be the top tier DJ/producers in hardcore (with a few exceptions of course) couldn't engineer a radio jingle let alone a good track, which is why you always saw so many collaborations in hardcore. The big name on the label sold the tracks, but often didn't deserve all the credit.

Again that's a sweeping statement and there certainly are some talented producer/DJs such as Slipmatt and Darren Styles. But not many.

GMAN1992
Regular
Regular

Post by GMAN1992 » Tue Apr 08, 2014 12:54 pm

dj jedi wrote:I'd hazard a guess that he just got bored of being used and receiving no credit like everyone else with real talent does, eg Fade, Sunset Regime, Ham, DNA, my old mate Stormtrooper etc. Most of who people consider to be the top tier DJ/producers in hardcore (with a few exceptions of course) couldn't engineer a radio jingle let alone a good track, which is why you always saw so many collaborations in hardcore. The big name on the label sold the tracks, but often didn't deserve all the credit.

Again that's a sweeping statement and there certainly are some talented producer/DJs such as Slipmatt and Darren Styles. But not many.
Agreed, this is also the case in the old dnb scene as well, lots of producers not given the credit they deserve and in small print on releases but the big names probably sell more copies from the punters so it makes sense business wise to slap big names first and more highlighted in collaborations I guess, whether fair or not.

oldskoolforever

Post by oldskoolforever » Tue Apr 08, 2014 3:21 pm

dj jedi wrote:Most of who people consider to be the top tier DJ/producers in hardcore (with a few exceptions of course) couldn't engineer a radio jingle let alone a good track, which is why you always saw so many collaborations in hardcore.
At the time though, having the big name DJ stamped over the record would have meant higher sales for sure (even though copies were probably only 500 to 1,000) I don't know many tunes that Dougal (for example) did on his own, but there aren't that many that could do it on their own to be fair. I don't see a problem if you have ideas in your head & you require a decent engineer who can program the kit to sequence it together properly & produce the sounds you want. I suppose the problem is making sure the engineer receives the correct amount of credit. But, certainly Mickey Skeedale had his name stamped across all of the front covers with Dougal, so thats fair enough I guess. Maybe once Gammer came along, Mickey Skeedale went his own way - would be interesting to know.

dj_gyr8
Old Skool Don Daddy
Old Skool Don Daddy

Post by dj_gyr8 » Tue Apr 08, 2014 4:36 pm

Hi,

More likely that Micky simply didn't want to make the gash music that our scene turned into post 2005...

oldskoolforever

Post by oldskoolforever » Tue Apr 08, 2014 8:53 pm

dj_gyr8 wrote:More likely that Micky simply didn't want to make the gash music that our scene turned into post 2005...
UK Hardcore was in its prime from 2003 onwards, so I think he was pretty comfortable with it TBH. He put out a couple of tunes on Bonkers 13 too, Close Your Eyes is quite a shift from his earlier work, but a banging tune nevertheless. Real shame that he didn't carry on making this type of stuff !

Traffic Cone
The Messiah of the 21st Century

Post by Traffic Cone » Tue Apr 08, 2014 10:37 pm

it is funny how a small group of people (Ham, DNA, Fade, Trixxy, Bradley Carter, Austin Reynolds, Luna C, Scott Brown, Sunset Regime, Mickey Skeedale, UFO) are responsible for such a big proportion of the hardcore made in the Uk from 94-99ish!

it is true that there are some big DJs who clearly had input into their tunes, they just didn't have any technical skill; but others who were a fair bit more hands-off :D

gyr8: not sure the producer of tunes like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_R9SOoNyjkA would have been that fazed by noughties cheese :D

there is one of his solo tunes on Angel Atom i do like, called "Here We Go Again". sounds quite different to his tunes with Dougal.

dj_yt
Old Skool Master
Old Skool Master

Post by dj_yt » Wed Apr 09, 2014 8:38 am

I think one of the best underrated producers from the happy scene was Dave Wallace aka Rebel Alliance, who went on to have success as Aquasky.

I think the loss of the top tier producers like Wishdokta, Rebel Alliance, the fall of Kniteforce records all contributed to the demise of the sound I quite liked at the time.

I haven't heard a single happy hardcore tune I've liked in the past 15 years, but I'm more than willing to be educated!

dj jedi

Post by dj jedi » Thu Apr 10, 2014 9:14 am

dj_yt wrote:I think one of the best underrated producers from the happy scene was Dave Wallace aka Rebel Alliance, who went on to have success as Aquasky.

I think the loss of the top tier producers like Wishdokta, Rebel Alliance, the fall of Kniteforce records all contributed to the demise of the sound I quite liked at the time.

I haven't heard a single happy hardcore tune I've liked in the past 15 years, but I'm more than willing to be educated!
Yeah being from Bournemouth I have a big soft spot for all the Aurora/Burning Bush/Stormtrooper etc stuff, it was our local sound. The guy is a legend for sure.

Traffic Cone

Post by Traffic Cone » Thu Apr 10, 2014 6:32 pm

i'd agree, both labels are among the best of those mid 90s happy labels. didn't realise the connection with Aurora (and Mad Dog) till recently too. I always thought Storm on there was the same Storm who is now Al Storm; different guy I understand?

other person i forgot from that list was Jason B (Happy tunes). What happened to him? I don't know if he engineered for anyone but i love his tunes - perfect happy hardcore. (the final release on his label excepted!)

oldskoolforever

Post by oldskoolforever » Thu Apr 10, 2014 8:29 pm

Traffic Cone wrote:other person i forgot from that list was Jason B (Happy tunes). What happened to him? I don't know if he engineered for anyone but i love his tunes - perfect happy hardcore. (the final release on his label excepted!)
Not sure what happened to him. I liked the first few releases on Happy Tunes - really quality productions, but it didn't seem to continue in that vain.

ian saunders
Old Skool Don Daddy
Old Skool Don Daddy

Post by ian saunders » Thu Apr 10, 2014 9:19 pm

Jason B retired from music and is now an accountant.

dj_yt
Old Skool Master
Old Skool Master

Post by dj_yt » Thu Apr 10, 2014 11:08 pm

Yes, the early Happy Tunes stuff is excellent. Looking at the record labels I think Jason also produced it, which makes sense as it has its own style.

What does surprise me is that some of the active artists like Slipmatt aren't still churning out remixes. He had such a great remix formula between 1993-1996, which continually delivered sure-fire hits.

Paul Zykotik
Old Skool Don Daddy
Old Skool Don Daddy

Post by Paul Zykotik » Fri Apr 11, 2014 7:57 am

I often think to myself that what hardcore needs is more remixes.

(I know that's not the point you were making :))

Traffic Cone

Post by Traffic Cone » Fri Apr 11, 2014 6:56 pm

although i think Jason B was basically perfect 94/95 (let the good times roll!), i do really like some of his later tunes :) Rush Me Tonight, Big Up Bloodclot, Positive Energy, his EP with Davie Forbes...

cheers Ian, can always rely on you for the cold hard facts :D