DJs doing other styles

Old Skool chat, tune discussions.
No tape packs or mix tape posts in the forum please!
leonized
Oldskool Raver
Oldskool Raver

Re: DJs doing other styles

Post by leonized » Fri Apr 04, 2014 7:40 pm

I have the triple tape pack of the DJ Sy mixes & the Easygroove one... Must dig them out of the loft...

Traffic Cone
The Messiah of the 21st Century

Post by Traffic Cone » Fri Apr 04, 2014 10:50 pm

ian saunders wrote:TC, you'd know about this: What were the Jungle DJs who played in Scotland like. I know some switched to a happier or more 4-beat sound. Any cop?
i don't know that there ever really were many! i think the rise of bouncy techno at the end of 93 was the death of it. i had a great set of Marc Smith playing jungle with an Edinburgh MC doing all of Mad P's lyrics :D but he was obviously much more popular playing the Scottish/Dutch hardcore. one of the few decent DJs who was big up there really.

other than him...there was DJ Kid who i've never heard. and KMC who i've heard a couple o good sets of (but it's hard to imagine them going down well).

i remember reading a couple of Clubscene mags from 94 (a free magazine distributed in record shops by Clubscene records) and the letters were almost entirely either guys from the east coast moaning about how brainless techno was, and guys from the west moaning about breakbeat being shite :D but the same issue mentioned "head like a pacman" by Active Force as a breakbeat tune, and if you listen to it it does have a pretty big kickdrum as well :D which shows how little pure breakbeat stuff was loved in general, i think...great tune though :D

Paul Zykotik
Old Skool Don Daddy
Old Skool Don Daddy

Post by Paul Zykotik » Sat Apr 05, 2014 12:45 pm

I think you would struggle to classify Head Like A Pacman as a breakbeat tune anywhere :lol:

Never saw Kid or KMC play. I do remember an old Judgement Day flyer which had KMC and Tom Wilson apparently swapping records for the night and playing each other's styles. Now that would have been amusing (or more likely, shite).

I *think* when KMC played in Scotland he tended to play stuff with a kick as well, e.g. Basement, some Formation. Obviously not post-94 but he wasn't booked for hardcore events anymore by that time.

alphawave ep
Old Skool Master
Old Skool Master

Post by alphawave ep » Sat Apr 05, 2014 2:11 pm

didnt LTJ Bukem do a house mix on Yaman Productions in 1992???

extreme
Old Skool Master
Old Skool Master

Post by extreme » Sat Apr 05, 2014 3:06 pm

Yeah, he did a couple, one early one & one from around 94:

'Mellow'
http://www.hardscore.com/?p=321

Chill Out – No 2 – house injection
http://www.hardscore.com/?p=314

Restless
Old Skool Don Daddy
Old Skool Don Daddy

Post by Restless » Sat Apr 05, 2014 3:54 pm

Jason Kaye used to kill it at the Garage Events.

dj_yt
Old Skool Master
Old Skool Master

Post by dj_yt » Sat Apr 05, 2014 4:35 pm

Traffic Cone wrote: but the same issue mentioned "head like a pacman" by Active Force as a breakbeat tune, and if you listen to it it does have a pretty big kickdrum as well :D which shows how little pure breakbeat stuff was loved in general, i think...great tune though :D
Why do you think kickdrum driven music was so big in Scotland compared with the South? I totally get that a big fat kick drum has a lot of energy and bounce potential to it - but it doesn't have the same groove and creative possibilities as chopping up and layering breaks. Was HipHop not as popular in Scotland in the 80s or something - just wondering why producers and punters didn't love breaks as much!

Hyper On Experience mentioned in one of their youtube videos that a set they played in Scotland was going poorly until they played Monarch of the Glenn with the giant kickdrum intro.

AtomSmasher
Old Skool Master
Old Skool Master

Post by AtomSmasher » Sat Apr 05, 2014 7:53 pm

Anyone got any of the Grooverider House sets? I also remember seeing Randall advertised for House sets on flyers back in late 1993....

dj_jayrola
Regular
Regular

Post by dj_jayrola » Sat Apr 05, 2014 9:31 pm

it was just down to radio education in scotland.tom wilson played bouncy techno on his radio station which everyone up here listened to.he never played any breakbeat tracks so when anyone played breaks no one new how to take it or dance to it.then it was percieved as "english music" or pots n pans .

dont get me wrong there were/are class breakbeat and drum & bass dj's in scotland but had to play down south due lack of support.dj's like kmc and kid were always pushing the sound up here and made some headway in edinburgh.

im english myself but have lived up here all my days and the shit i use to get for playing proper hardcore is a joke.what i find funny is that everyone bitd saying they hated breakbeat but easygroove and randall got voted in the top ten sets ever at rez.........go figure???

Paul Zykotik
Old Skool Don Daddy
Old Skool Don Daddy

Post by Paul Zykotik » Sun Apr 06, 2014 3:41 pm

I think there is a cultural/race element to it as well. In London, Bristol, Manchester etc you had much more black influence, through disco/hip hop/reggae which didn't make as much impact in Scotland as the population was much less diverse. If you look at northern Europe as a whole there has generally been a strong preference for kickdrum driven dance music (although I think this has changed a bit in recent years) and I guess that comes from similar less diverse populations and therefore less influence from other music. In fact even in England this was evident - the north was usually seen as preferring 4 to the floor, piano style rather than breakbeats. So for Scotland to go down the kickdrum route isn't all that surprising.

dj_yt
Old Skool Master
Old Skool Master

Post by dj_yt » Sun Apr 06, 2014 5:40 pm

Yes, interesting points.

It also occurred to me was how many of the early happy breakbeat labels were based in the South (Kniteforce & Universal in Essex, Remix in Camden, Slammin Vinyl in Kingston, Hectic in Portsmouth, Stormtrooper/Burning Bush in Bournemouth, Homegrown in Reading, JAL somewhere in London etc.) The only significant northern one I can think of is Vicious Vinyl, which was a Formation offshoot. If you call Leicester 'North' that is...

Traffic Cone

Post by Traffic Cone » Sun Apr 06, 2014 6:32 pm

yeah i think Paul's got it right. there's a lot of the north where rave music was more kickdrum based - hard trance, or piano house. and Scotland was/is closer to Europe than England in musical tastes i think. obviously you still get some of the mix of different influences (was happy to hear a while back of the existence of Glaswegian reggae :D) but it's just more of a niche underground thing.

i can think of one Scottish happy breakbeat producer; http://www.discogs.com/Pooch-Coulter-Lo ... ter/250418 - Coulter, not Pooch of course. went on to release a few tunes as DJ Happy Raver (what an awful name :D)

as for KMC - i downloaded a set of his from 95 at the Fubar and i was expecting a few 4/4 and breaks tunes, but bar "don't beg for love", most of it was very breakbeaty. it's hard to imagine it going down well next to Tom Wilson or the Rhythmic State...

ian saunders
Old Skool Don Daddy
Old Skool Don Daddy

Post by ian saunders » Sun Apr 06, 2014 6:39 pm

Add +1 for the race element.

Prior to house kicking off Hi-NRG was apparently the staple of Scottish dancefloors - I.E. the cheesy stuff the only underground gay clubs were playing in London + Erasure etc. A very white sound for a country where they had never had a large black population. You can hear the similarities in production between synth-pop/hi-NRG and the stuff Tom Wilson etc played.

Traffic Cone

Post by Traffic Cone » Sun Apr 06, 2014 7:38 pm

it's that Italian sound, i think; roots of piano house and ultimately happy hardcore.

the Italians were quite a big influence on Scottish hardcore really - tunes like Joe Inferno "Tribal Church" being the most obvious overplayed example.

dj_yt
Old Skool Master
Old Skool Master

Post by dj_yt » Sun Apr 06, 2014 8:50 pm

I loved the Italian house sound. What happened to the Italian scene? It just seemed to fizzle out.

I know the Belgium scene was clamped down upon by the authorities (TSOB is a good documentary about this), so did something similar happen in Italy?