Yikes...

Old Skool chat, tune discussions.
No tape packs or mix tape posts in the forum please!
THEDJFX
Regular
Regular

Re: Yikes...

Post by THEDJFX » Fri Mar 07, 2014 4:32 pm

Been skulking around in the shadows watching this roll out for a while now, and I cant help feeling that its only a matter of time before this venture folds in on itself anyway.

If large funded and polished companies like Beatport and TID can't get it right, with such a breadth of highly popular genres on their rosters, then what hope does a two-bit website with a potential client base probably just in the hundreds (even before it's catastrophic client relations effort!) - have of being sustainable?

It's certainly not going to make enough money to fund the constant activity that will be required to police the internet for freely available content, and it's not going to compensate the artists enough to warrant them having signed over the ENTIRE rights to their life's work. I hope that's not what they've done anyway.

From an artist standpoint, I for one am totally against file sharing. So the demise of facilities that allow full quality distribution of copyrighted music for me is a positive (I'm not including lowQ Youtube clips and channels in this, just full on track sharing).
However. This is the rave-scene! :-D and I have enough trust in my fellow music afficionados to put up full length/hiQ copies of all my tracks on Youtube for anyone to hear/rip/share, and I rely on trusting those who do enjoy it to purchase it.
I am proud to confirm that they do, and that this is a totally viable business model!

The heavy-handed tactics of HCJ are a big two fingers to the foundations that this scene is built upon, so I'm not surprised at the backlash.

dj jedi

Post by dj jedi » Fri Mar 07, 2014 4:36 pm

dreamweave wrote:I don't see why an 'Oldskool iTunes' as such, was never put into practice years ago, or was it the fact that oldskool lovers should buy the hugely priced vinyl and put money into sellers pockets?
There have been many over the years since as far back as 2001 - IMODownload was one of the first which had Impact, Slammin Vinyl, Knite Force etc back catalogues on it. That folded a few years later. Then some of the bigger labels like Sub Base, Reinforced and Moving Shadow started appearing on iTunes, Beatport, Trackitdown etc.

But as far as I'm aware none have ever been a roaring success - there just isn't the market for it. Old skool compilation CDs sell pretty well because lots of people still love the music and will happily pay £10 for 40 tracks, but there are very, very few people willing to pay £1-2 per track to DJ with. There are only a few hundred people that DJ this music left on the planet, so it's a failed business model to start with.

Dance music has always been the same - only DJs are interested in full-length tracks. People that just like listening to it prefer compilation albums or live sets.

nebkins
Old Skool Don Daddy
Old Skool Don Daddy

Post by nebkins » Fri Mar 07, 2014 4:50 pm

Conspiracy Theory #25

This whole debacle has been engineered by B2VOS management in order to close other oldskool websites in order to increase B2VOS memebership in an attempt to get enough people to hunt down DJ Gyr8's warehouse.

rage
Old Skool Don Daddy
Old Skool Don Daddy

Post by rage » Fri Mar 07, 2014 4:52 pm

So am I still allowed to play my records or I going to get a knock at the door?

Thrash
Oldskool Raver
Oldskool Raver

Post by Thrash » Fri Mar 07, 2014 5:04 pm

nebkins wrote:Conspiracy Theory #25

This whole debacle has been engineered by B2VOS management in order to close other oldskool websites in order to increase B2VOS memebership in an attempt to get enough people to hunt down DJ Gyr8's warehouse.
Gyr8's been found... In his warehouse. Not sure about his choice of carpet... Or turn-ups.
Attachments
image.jpg

si 2 bad
Oldskool Raver
Oldskool Raver

Post by si 2 bad » Fri Mar 07, 2014 5:08 pm

Nice to see some refugees coming over to B2VOS. File sharing will still happen - guaranteed. It is too difficult to police. Old Skoolers will still share tunes, ID tunes etc etc and more sites will appear that do things differently. Neil Trix is one - keep an eye out for his site. Maybe one day 2BM will put some tunes up on our site but we are really fucking slack.

eddiebale
Lurker
Lurker

Post by eddiebale » Fri Mar 07, 2014 6:14 pm

rage wrote:So am I still allowed to play my records or I going to get a knock at the door?
Best give them all to me to be on the safe side :)

msprim
Regular
Regular

Post by msprim » Fri Mar 07, 2014 7:58 pm

I am an IAAO refugee also and i agree with RenegadeGenius's file sharing ethic in an earlier post. I also buy mp3s legally and buy physical copies of music whether it would be cd or vinyl and i will continue to do so. I have spoken on FB about the file sharing within the oldskool community on IAAO and beyond. It's something we always did - remember borrowing your mates mixed tapes and recording them onto a blank cassette - this is oldskool filesharing (Pardon the pun). We all did it and we continued to do this.

But again, there is more to IAAO, then file sharing. I have made a lot of friends on IAAO and we have a laugh with each other and we talk about oldskool but we also talk about other things, some music related (other than oldskool) and others not.

I am more annoyed with the fact that our oldskool home was taken away from us without giving the members a second thought. A quick thread from Hardcore Junglism to say we want all this removed from the site would have done the trick and it would have got removed.

The forums and YT owners and Hardcore Junglism could have worked in harmony with each other if Hardcore Junglism went the right way about it but instead he waded in and has caused a lot of pain and anger within our community.

wigs
Regular
Regular

Post by wigs » Fri Mar 07, 2014 8:19 pm

msprim wrote:
I am more annoyed with the fact that our oldskool home was taken away from us without giving the members a second thought. A quick thread from Hardcore Junglism to say we want all this removed from the site would have done the trick and it would have got removed.
I don't believe he was actually that interested in whether or not any of the music from their site was on IAAO.. It appears it was to show he is 'Mr Big Bollocks' and also possibly had a beef with the site as I'm not aware that any others have been taken down yet.

dreamweave
Old Skool Master
Old Skool Master

Post by dreamweave » Fri Mar 07, 2014 8:21 pm

msprim wrote: It's something we always did - remember borrowing your mates mixed tapes and recording them onto a blank cassette - this is oldskool filesharing (Pardon the pun). We all did it and we continued to do this.
So true, sharing tapes then later making copies of CD's for friends, whats different to sharing MP3's these days? Very sad that the whole website has been taken down, been a ember on there for a short while and really enjoyed the topics and discussions on there.

leonized
Oldskool Raver
Oldskool Raver

Post by leonized » Fri Mar 07, 2014 8:38 pm

File sharing is a touchy subject... I have downloaded alot of music over the years & have also uploaded quite alot to share & for people to enjoy & I never did it with the intentions of upsetting the artists for which I uploaded.

If I can I will buy directly from the artist so that they get the money that so rightly deserve, but on occasion thay haven't had any copies left & i've had to buy from a second party (Discogs) & the artist received none of the money that I paid for it.

A while back I messaged Simon Holmes about the record he released on Bee Hive Records back in '92 & asked him if it was ok to share it & he was proper chuffed so I sent him a wav copy of his EP (that I had spent a couple of hours cleaning) & he posted them up on his Soundcloud & I believe (I could be wrong) that it spurred him on to producing more...

I have never made any profit from anything i've uploaded... Other than the joy from other people being able to enjoy the music.

I buy alot of vinyl, new & old to support the new artists & labels & also to quench my thirst for owning a slice of amazing history that I was too young to experience first hand at clubs back in the day... Only last week I spent over £100 on vinyl from Discogs for 20 records from 3 different sellers... I truly wish that money went directly to the artists, but unfortunately it won't...

I don't share the rips of my vinyl anymore & I would NEVER share anything under 10 years old if I did... But that's not a problem anymore as I don't share them.

I do feel slightly guilty for having something (that i've paid good money for) that people want & I can easily supply to them for no money & they will enjoy for many years to come...

msprim
Regular
Regular

Post by msprim » Fri Mar 07, 2014 8:43 pm

wigs wrote:I don't believe he was actually that interested in whether or not any of the music from their site was on IAAO.. It appears it was to show he is 'Mr Big Bollocks' and also possibly had a beef with the site as I'm not aware that any others have been taken down yet.
What beef could he possibly have with our site Wigs?

And if he has done this out of spite to show he is 'Mr Big Bollocks' then he will be the most hated person within the oldskool community.

dodders
New User
New User

Post by dodders » Fri Mar 07, 2014 8:56 pm

msprim wrote:
And if he has done this out of spite to show he is 'Mr Big Bollocks' then he will be the most hated person within the oldskool community.
Bit late for that

I don't remember him as a particularly active member if at all. Which means he was there leeching - oh the irony.

Maybe that's it. Maybe he had a request or id ignored & has been stewing over it ever since

wigs
Regular
Regular

Post by wigs » Fri Mar 07, 2014 8:58 pm

msprim wrote: What beef could he possibly have with our site Wigs?
I don't know.. but the complaint was pretty much about the whole site.. not about getting anything he has the rights to removed, which he could have just asked for.
msprim wrote: then he will be the most hated person within the oldskool community.
Believe he may already have achieved that .. Internet Karma is a bitch when it catches up with you in the real world!

Thrash
Oldskool Raver
Oldskool Raver

Post by Thrash » Fri Mar 07, 2014 9:42 pm

Who's going to report all his tunes & mixes on soundcloud for copyright infringement then?

https://soundcloud.com/dj-vapour