** Youtube Channel Owners Important **

Old Skool chat, tune discussions.
No tape packs or mix tape posts in the forum please!
pete.devnull
Old Skool Master
Old Skool Master

Re: ** Youtube Channel Owners Important **

Post by pete.devnull » Sat Mar 01, 2014 8:55 pm

Damn, you guys got me feeling like an asshole for even bugging HCJ to post this. I knew that this was going to be a huge issue regardless, and announcing it on this thread has just pushed it forward so it didn't take until the DMCA's actually rolled out for people to discuss it (assume that would have been even worse... think Lime doing it for Awesome Records tracks).

FWIW I don't agree with the youtube policy of posting partial clips instead of the full songs BUT at the end of the day it's not my site, not my songs, not my name on either side of the contracts, and not my decision. Also, I don't think any artist was tricked into this, though if some have issues and like their current youtube presence maybe the artist themself will ask for certain channels to not be DMCA'd. I was just hoping that if any of you specifically want to avoid DMCA's / tons of youtube strikes, you could act pre-emptively and not risk a bunch of your other unrelated content getting affected.

Really I just wish someone could come up with a solution to still have these songs in full streaming format online. Either HCJ hosting the full tracks but with ads enabled on youtube, or DMCA'ing the tracks but leaving them up on the original posters side and diverting monetization to HCJ/the artist, which I believe is a softer, gentler option for DMCAing stuff. Not every artist might be down with something like that, and HCJ might be totally against it, but maybe some would be interested especially if some songs already have a massive number of views on youtube.

dest
Old Skool Master
Old Skool Master

Post by dest » Sat Mar 01, 2014 9:03 pm

Or why not just use the most common sense approach and leave the youtube tunes where they are and ask if the channel owner would kindly put a link to where people could buy them and support the artist.
Ive already said I'd of had no issues with that.
Id be willing to bet that their site would get a LOT more traffic and sales doing that than removing any trace from youtube.
My channel alone gets thousands of plays every single day, and they are all potential links to his site, from an established source with thousands of dedicated subscribers and lovers of the scene and music.

This scene is too small for back stabbing, and everyone looses out.

I loose the channel Ive put hundreds of hours into building and maintaining.
The music lovers loose a source of enjoying the tunes and discussing them.
HCJ looses literally thousands of potential links to his site to actually sell them.

But no, he would rather ignore all that and shit on everyone just to try and make a bit more cash.
Sorry but that aint ever going to work.

retrospect
Oldskool Raver
Oldskool Raver

Post by retrospect » Sat Mar 01, 2014 9:07 pm

Another oldskool head here who wont be using the HardcoreJunglism site because of this. Just to echo the sentiments that others have already expressed, Hardcore Junglism should have run alongside the already established 90's hardcore youtube channels which are in no way a threat to mp3 sales. In fact the truth is the opposite; they have made the tracks known to a wider audience through their channels.

dest
Old Skool Master
Old Skool Master

Post by dest » Sat Mar 01, 2014 9:11 pm

Thats actually a VERY good point, and one they really shouldn't ignore!
My channel has literally hundreds of comments from people saying wow Ive been after this tune for years!
Now to buy a copy.... so off they trot to ebay or discogs.
Just think, they could of bought a high quality (hopefully) MP3 for a lot less than an expensive vinyl copy instead.
Oh well, yet another opportunity they're going to miss out on.

melakaraya
Oldskool Raver
Oldskool Raver

Post by melakaraya » Sat Mar 01, 2014 9:40 pm

pete.devnull wrote:Damn, you guys got me feeling like an asshole for even bugging HCJ to post this.
I wouldn't worry about it Pete, I think the overwhelming majority of people are glad you did mate.

Dennean
Regular
Regular

Post by Dennean » Sat Mar 01, 2014 9:41 pm

Not a very modern business model. With the scene being so small your store should embrace the coverage gained from the tracks already appearing on the established channels. What a shame you didn't look to utilize the resource. Quite an oversight.

Thrash
Oldskool Raver
Oldskool Raver

Post by Thrash » Sat Mar 01, 2014 10:17 pm

Great thread :-D

lixx
Regular
Regular

Post by lixx » Sat Mar 01, 2014 10:24 pm

I personally have over 2100 oldskool/dnb mp3's in my itunes, if I really start digitizing my entire record collection I could really add to that number 10 fold. I digitize at 256 or 320 and I'm a master at editing out the slightest crackle. I'll just start giving away mp3's to anyone that wants one mate. You can't possible stop me.

I also know plenty of people here that will do the same thing. See you're a little late to game I'm afraid. Trying to cash in on oldskool's upswing in popularity when we've all been here forever and have the collections already. Sorry ass clown technology has beaten you to the punch.

wigs
Regular
Regular

Post by wigs » Sat Mar 01, 2014 10:31 pm

eazyflow wrote:lol, "How to commit commercial suicide in one fell swoop" :lol:
article-0-1AE34194000005DC-523_634x420.jpg

silky
Oldskool Raver
Oldskool Raver

Post by silky » Sat Mar 01, 2014 10:44 pm

What a terrible shame to our beloved scene. You can not even begin to imagine the hard work we as a small community have done all over the years to get it to where it is now.

I seriously hope this blows up in your face. Another customer lost.

And to think if you just sat back and thought about this in a logical way the small but hugely important old Skool community would of been happy to help push your business venture through.

DocOdessah
Lurker
Lurker

Post by DocOdessah » Sat Mar 01, 2014 10:52 pm

Surely from a business perspective it'd be much better to work with these channels and ask them to link the shop in the description? I know loads of people who'll have a browse on Youtube looking for EP's then go and buy them on Discogs or whatever outlet they're available from.

leonized
Oldskool Raver
Oldskool Raver

Post by leonized » Sat Mar 01, 2014 10:56 pm

It looks as though they've started taking videos off Youtube already... Judging by what's being said on Facebook...

dest
Old Skool Master
Old Skool Master

Post by dest » Sat Mar 01, 2014 10:57 pm

More info please!

DJ ABO
The Messiah of the 21st Century
The Messiah of the 21st Century

Post by DJ ABO » Sat Mar 01, 2014 11:04 pm

DocOdessah wrote:Surely from a business perspective it'd be much better to work with these channels and ask them to link the shop in the description? I know loads of people who'll have a browse on Youtube looking for EP's then go and buy them on Discogs or whatever outlet they're available from.
Yep, totally agree with what you and Dest have said, that would have worked in their favour, I really feel for the people who have spent so much time and effort uploading to their channel.

See you don't get these issues with vinyl :lol: MP3 is the 3rd anti-christ!

retrospect
Oldskool Raver
Oldskool Raver

Post by retrospect » Sat Mar 01, 2014 11:05 pm

Youtube is our online archive for hardcore and HardcoreJunglism.com are trying to delete it. In the process they could possibly make themselves the least popular people in the oldskool scene. I always hoped those youtube uploads from MartynWebster and similar channels will be their for decades to come, making low quality uploads available to those who want a short trip down memory lane & for those unfamiliar with hardcore and want to check out what was played at raves in the 90s. The more i think about it the more of a cunt move by a bunch of cunts it seems.
Last edited by retrospect on Sat Mar 01, 2014 11:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.