** Youtube Channel Owners Important **

Old Skool chat, tune discussions.
No tape packs or mix tape posts in the forum please!
renegadegenius
Nicolas Parsons
Nicolas Parsons
Location: Bat Beat Vol 2 - It's Still Here!!!! (as are a few copies of Vol 1)

Re: ** Youtube Channel Owners Important **

Post by renegadegenius » Sat Mar 01, 2014 7:58 pm

Not sure about 'threats', but what people can see is this :

You want to have them remove youtube vids of artists/labels you have onboard.
Reason stated is to earn the artist money & not to have full length tunes of their tracks up on YT.

The thing is, YT sound quality is rubbish - ok for listening to for IDs etc, but no good for playback in a mix, or on it's own.

Someone who is happy with a YT quality rip isn't likely to buy an mp3 anyway.

Removing the YT rip isn't going to stop them getting hold of an mp3 elsewhere (if they didn't intend to buy anyway).

Having old skool YT channels removed due to this isn't going to do the already small old skool community any good.
It certainly isn't going to help you win sales - the hardest part of a business is getting new customers.
Doing this isn't going to help your site.

Surely selling the mp3s on the site is what will earn the artists (and yourself) some money.

And why isn't this warning on your FB page?
I'm sure some of the people that have liked your page will have channels.

dest
Old Skool Master
Old Skool Master

Post by dest » Sat Mar 01, 2014 8:00 pm

Take note that some of it is also going to be ripped from vinyl anyway!
See post here:
viewtopic.php?f=14&t=126463&p=1099907#p1099907
All of the unreleased tracks are from DATs

at least 95% of the released stuff is from original mastered supplied from the artists and / or our connections (Labels, DJs with DAT / CD rips of originals)or comp CD rips

The ones we could not find masters for were recorded from the best possible sources and to be honest with you with the latest mastering techniques I would challenge anyone to work out which ones are from vinyl as to be honest you can not tell

wigs
Regular
Regular

Post by wigs » Sat Mar 01, 2014 8:00 pm

HardcoreJunglism wrote: As apparently I am pissing off everyone here there is no point in this conversation so ill bow out now and get back to work
but you still haven't answered why you think youtube will affect potential sales?

Ornette
Old Skool Master
Old Skool Master

Post by Ornette » Sat Mar 01, 2014 8:03 pm

Lets not get too rash... i'm still looking forward to HQ copies of old classics. Hardcore Junglism seems to be attempting to make this into a true industry the likes of which has not been achieved yet (apart from for the later periods of dnb, so far covered by the likes of beatport).

dest
Old Skool Master
Old Skool Master

Post by dest » Sat Mar 01, 2014 8:04 pm

I will add, if there wasn't all this you must remove tunes from youtube or we'll get them removed bullshit, I would of been MORE than happy to post a link in the description to your site for anyone that was after a high quality copy of the tune, but why would I want to do that now?
I know how small/tight the community is, and it NEEDS people to help each other or it ain't going anywhere.
So far your route is to a dead end with this outlook and attitude!

I also get a constant stream of messages asking for higher quality copies to be uploaded, and requests for MP3's, again, I would of been more than happy to steer them towards your site, but not now.
THAT is how you get sales and support, by working with others, NOT by trying to steamroller your way in, which is exactly what you've tried to do, and as already said, so far its not working AT ALL.

dest
Old Skool Master
Old Skool Master

Post by dest » Sat Mar 01, 2014 8:06 pm

Ornette wrote:Lets not get too rash... i'm still looking forward to HQ copies of old classics. Hardcore Junglism seems to be attempting to make this into a true industry the likes of which has not been achieved yet (apart from for the later periods of dnb, so far covered by the likes of beatport).
You're missing the point mate!
Everyone wants high quality copies of tunes, but does it really have to cost the loss of long established communities to get there? No.

wigs
Regular
Regular

Post by wigs » Sat Mar 01, 2014 8:11 pm

dest wrote:I will add, if there wasn't all this you must remove tunes from youtube or we'll get them removed bullshit, I would of been MORE than happy to post a link in the description to your site for anyone that was after a high quality copy of the tune, but why would I want to do that now?
I know how small/tight the community is, and it NEEDS people to help each other or it ain't going anywhere.
So far your route is to a dead end with this outlook and attitude!

I also get a constant stream of messages asking for higher quality copies to be uploaded, and requests for MP3's, again, I would of been more than happy to steer them towards your site, but not now.
THAT is how you get sales and support, by working with others, NOT by trying to steamroller your way in, which is exactly what you've tried to do, and as already said, so far its not working AT ALL.
Yep, they have unfortunately gone about this completely the wrong way and missed an opportunity to actually get the people with youtube channels on board.

warpedcore
Old Skool Don Daddy
Old Skool Don Daddy

Post by warpedcore » Sat Mar 01, 2014 8:18 pm

what i want to know is this going to affect anyone trying to get oldskool pressed on vinyl from certain artists? because this site is snapping up all the rights to all these tunes?
Last edited by warpedcore on Sat Mar 01, 2014 8:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Devious Dame
He never locked his car door
He never locked his car door

Post by Devious Dame » Sat Mar 01, 2014 8:19 pm

are you coolbreeze in disguise?

DD

otbiz
Oldskool Raver
Oldskool Raver

Post by otbiz » Sat Mar 01, 2014 8:35 pm

dest wrote:Take note that some of it is also going to be ripped from vinyl anyway!
See post here:
viewtopic.php?f=14&t=126463&p=1099907#p1099907
All of the unreleased tracks are from DATs

at least 95% of the released stuff is from original mastered supplied from the artists and / or our connections (Labels, DJs with DAT / CD rips of originals)or comp CD rips

The ones we could not find masters for were recorded from the best possible sources and to be honest with you with the latest mastering techniques I would challenge anyone to work out which ones are from vinyl as to be honest you can not tell
We'll wait to see what the real quality of these tunes, taken from DAT or not, is like... I won't be buying any if the mastering means they're all overly maximised/limited/compressed or whatever the terminology is. The previews put up so far all sound too loud to me. Plus I'm sure I heard a click or two in one of the clips... but then maybe that's just my tinnitus playing up ;)

dest
Old Skool Master
Old Skool Master

Post by dest » Sat Mar 01, 2014 8:41 pm

Elusive9T2 wrote:Saying something like this isn't up for debate has done you no favours has it
It clearly is up for debate, even if you like it or not

You can't claim copyright on something you have no rights to in the first place
or the artists who claim to own these copyrights on a bunch of old samples
Unless you are paying the Winstons personally for those Amen breaks on all those tracks you've licensed
I didn't think so hahahahaha

I was on your side & looking forward to buying lots of tunes from your site until you posted this thread
Even De La Soul couldn't get their tunes on iTunes due to not getting sample clearance, so if a group as big as them cannot manage to get clearance for stuff, Im going to be VERY intrigued how they're managing to do 100% legal tunes

yell-o-phase
Old Skool Master
Old Skool Master

Post by yell-o-phase » Sat Mar 01, 2014 8:43 pm

Elusive9T2 wrote:Let me get this straight, your removing full tunes on music lovers channels to replace them with clips.....
music for the people hey mate!

Good luck with your new venture, I think your gonna need it now
Have you ever heard of biting the hand that feeds you
=D> =D> and whoever you are that is polluting our scene with greediness and some digital garbage.. :wanker: bring those classics on vinyl, then we are talking.. 8)

Ornette
Old Skool Master
Old Skool Master

Post by Ornette » Sat Mar 01, 2014 8:45 pm

dest wrote: Even De La Soul couldn't get their tunes on iTunes due to not getting sample clearance, so if a group as big as them cannot manage to get clearance for stuff, Im going to be VERY intrigued how they're managing to do 100% legal tunes
Ahh is that why they've put up their back catalogue for free :)

eazyflow
Old Skool Don Daddy
Old Skool Don Daddy

Post by eazyflow » Sat Mar 01, 2014 8:47 pm

lol, "How to commit commercial suicide in one fell swoop" :lol:

Good luck trying to introduce a little slice of Thatcherite enterprise into a community that has been built on the basis of sharing knowledge and helping each other out for the past 15+ years.

dest
Old Skool Master
Old Skool Master

Post by dest » Sat Mar 01, 2014 8:51 pm

Ornette wrote:
dest wrote: Even De La Soul couldn't get their tunes on iTunes due to not getting sample clearance, so if a group as big as them cannot manage to get clearance for stuff, Im going to be VERY intrigued how they're managing to do 100% legal tunes
Ahh is that why they've put up their back catalogue for free :)
Yep.
So I hope all those artists they're planning on selling tunes for have got clearance for everything!