** Youtube Channel Owners Important **

Old Skool chat, tune discussions.
No tape packs or mix tape posts in the forum please!
RonWellsJS
Oldskool Raver
Oldskool Raver

Re: ** Youtube Channel Owners Important **

Post by RonWellsJS » Sun Mar 02, 2014 12:59 pm

dest wrote:Thanks for the support mate, it means a lot, and is more than an honour to share the awesome tunes from Basement :D
I think you'll find that works both ways... I am VERY grateful for the support (although sometimes slightly embarassed by the undeserved praise) you chaps afford me.

You guys should all keep up your excellent work as it is very valuable as a resource for those who 'missed out' the first time around, or want to rekindle those magic memories.

;-)

djsnear
New User
New User

Post by djsnear » Sun Mar 02, 2014 1:06 pm

I was looking forward to using the site but this has put me off.

yt is only promoting the music, just request a link to the site from youtube videos?????

dj_yt
Old Skool Master
Old Skool Master

Post by dj_yt » Sun Mar 02, 2014 1:19 pm

As soon as I realised I could listen to music on youtube, I immediately threw all my vinyl and CDs in the nearest skip (and deleted my MP3s for good measure).

RonWellsJS
Oldskool Raver
Oldskool Raver

Post by RonWellsJS » Sun Mar 02, 2014 1:29 pm

dj_yt wrote:As soon as I realised I could listen to music on youtube, I immediately threw all my vinyl and CDs in the nearest skip (and deleted my MP3s for good measure).
LOL, Oh the wonder of Sarcasm... the BEST form of wit in my book.

Thumpson
Old Skool Don Daddy
Old Skool Don Daddy

Post by Thumpson » Sun Mar 02, 2014 3:06 pm

warpedcore
Old Skool Don Daddy
Old Skool Don Daddy

Post by warpedcore » Sun Mar 02, 2014 3:38 pm

RonWellsJS wrote:
dest wrote:Thanks for the support mate, it means a lot, and is more than an honour to share the awesome tunes from Basement :D
I think you'll find that works both ways... I am VERY grateful for the support (although sometimes slightly embarassed by the undeserved praise) you chaps afford me.

You guys should all keep up your excellent work as it is very valuable as a resource for those who 'missed out' the first time around, or want to rekindle those magic memories.

;-)
undeserved? your a legend fella some of my most treasured pieces of vinyl have your tunes on them

will2003
He never locked his car door
He never locked his car door

Post by will2003 » Sun Mar 02, 2014 3:38 pm

Wow, what a strong response!

Have to say, I agree 100% with the sentiments in this thread - people have spent a LOT of time and effort with their old skool channels on Youtube, and when everything is moving away from forum and more towards things like Facebook, Youtube etc the wealth of old skool uploads to Youtube is absolutely essential in keeping information about this music available and not forgotten. As others have said, the kind of people who will actually put their hands in their pockets and buy digital downloads from a site like Hardcore Junglism are exactly the sorts of people who wouldn't be happy with crappy low rate Youtube audio rips. All the tunes on Youtube are about as good promotion as you could possibly get for the stuff you are selling on your site, and should be left well alone - I reckon it would be massive, fatal error in your business model to aggravate the people behind them, and the damage it would do to the popularity and success of your site would massively outweigh any perceived increase in potential sales gained by trying to have them removed.

As so many others on here have already said, this is a tiny but very passionate scene based on people helping each other out with info, Discogs submissions, IDs etc and thelast thing you should be doing is pissing these people off :(

The old skool scene would be glad to help you out in any way they can, but certainly not if things go the way they seem to be. I offered to pass you connections for artists based on the years I've been doing my vinyl label, and that offer still stands - but I'd only want to do that if you do take on board all this strong opinion and change your approach - there may be a lot of strong words on this thread, but I think you'd be surprised how equally these same people would help out if you go about your site the right way...

DJ Fav
The Messiah of the 21st Century
The Messiah of the 21st Century

Post by DJ Fav » Sun Mar 02, 2014 3:45 pm

Very reminiscent of the situation I was in back in 2005 when http://www.hardcorewillneverdie.com was the only real archive of old skool. Slipmatt/Beats24-7 got very shirty, legal action threatened etc.

I was allowed to continue to host the works they claimed copyright to, as long as it was 2 mins in length and low quality (ie realplayer), and I provided a link to the site to let listeners have the chance to buy.

Ron Wells gets it. In fact, 99.9% of all the old skool artists I've come across are really pleased their music is still being listened to and supported 20/25 years on - whether HWND or youtube.

I was looking forward to HCJ and putting some pennies back into the hands of the producers - but these heavy-handed tactics are unnecessary. Ask the YT channels to link to your site and profit from the exposure (it's the BEST advertising you'll ever get!) and the YT channeler's hard work. They are the very people you want to work with, they have been dealing with your target audience FOR YEARS.

hardcorewillneverdie (unless mp3s kill it) (again)

ske
Old Skool Master
Old Skool Master

Post by ske » Sun Mar 02, 2014 4:02 pm

So approx 10 years after the scene tailed off, places like B2vos & others started to emerge over the internet. Guys with passion and formidable knowledge conversing and sharing classic, rare tunes and detailed info about the scene back then, not only that it also sees people willing to legally reissue vinyl tracks via artist permissions & also sees the birth of hardcore breaks, nu rave ( whatever you want to call it)

These guys are responsible for getting the scene back on the map, just for you to come in at the 11 th hour, piss on everyone's parade just to squeeze the last few ££'s out of a scene reborn by the same people you're telling to remove videos etc from youtube of who are responsible for keeping it all alive. only a cold callus business mind works in this way.

bandwagon jumping, greedy bunch of inconsiderate cunts!hope you fold!

dj_yt
Old Skool Master
Old Skool Master

Post by dj_yt » Sun Mar 02, 2014 4:07 pm

DJ Fav wrote:Very reminiscent of the situation I was in back in 2005 when http://www.hardcorewillneverdie.com was the only real archive of old skool. Slipmatt/Beats24-7 got very shirty, legal action threatened etc.
And yet at the same time Slipmatt's Soundcloud contains hundreds of unlicensed tracks in the form of his mixes. It's strange behaviour. Or rather the sort of behaviour you'd expect from a corrupt dictatorship: you the people must obey our rules, but they don't apply to us! No wonder he's the Godfather.

Handbags aside, it's understandable that a lot of the artists are no longer young idealists, but middle-aged folk with mortgages to pay, families to support and food to put on the table. But at the same time, I really believe there's a better and more intelligent way of approaching this.

STG
Regular
Regular

Post by STG » Sun Mar 02, 2014 4:15 pm

Been a while since I've seen a thread blow up this quickly on here!

The other thing that really sucks when you take down an existing youtube video is you lose the links in discussion forums like this one or linked to sites on discogs, which is really helpful when you're doing a search for a tune. Nothing is more annoying than following a lead only to be greeted by "The following video no longer exists".

I've seen this same tactic done in other communities that I'm a part of and it really infuriates everyone. Always better to work with the community than try some hostile takeover approach.

warpedcore
Old Skool Don Daddy
Old Skool Don Daddy

Post by warpedcore » Sun Mar 02, 2014 4:37 pm

STG wrote:Been a while since I've seen a thread blow up this quickly on here!

The other thing that really sucks when you take down an existing youtube video is you lose the links in discussion forums like this one or linked to sites on discogs, which is really helpful when you're doing a search for a tune. Nothing is more annoying than following a lead only to be greeted by "The following video no longer exists".

I've seen this same tactic done in other communities that I'm a part of and it really infuriates everyone. Always better to work with the community than try some hostile takeover approach.
yeah all those video id's on discogs will be lost and i think it will ruin discogs :( just not on :(
Last edited by warpedcore on Sun Mar 02, 2014 4:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lien
B2VOS VIP 2011
B2VOS VIP 2011

Post by lien » Sun Mar 02, 2014 4:44 pm

HardcoreJunglism is a cock end. The bugger keeps deleting my FB posts letting him know that I'm going to download any track he releases VIA bittorrent ;)

what evil lurks
Old Skool Master
Old Skool Master

Post by what evil lurks » Sun Mar 02, 2014 5:19 pm

When I first read his initial post I was shocked and the first word that came to my mind was "monopoly" but I didn't want to start a rant cause I had a few over here in the past and I considered I had had too much.

But, after reading all these opinions I'd like to say he's not getting anything from me and his arrogance has doomed his site IMO, a site that, nevertheless, was/is going to sell rips of tunes we all know and may have either on vinyl, cd's or mp3's.

Let's face it; this scene is kept alive by a few enthusiasts who help one another and who don't a shit about current music anymore, this music attaches too many memories to all of us and I have more original vinyls, cd's and mp3's at home that I could listen for in weeks.

If I want a tune a buy the original source, if I can't have it because it's too arre or expensive, I'll try to get a mp3 of it but I'm not paying for a rip of this to somenone like you. I've spent thousands of euros during the last 15 years building my collection and I'll always share my ripped vinyl for free if that helps anybody.

Who wants to buy that rare vinyl that you supposedly sell in eclusive? Us. People who are not deeply into this music for years are not going to spend a single cent in a site that offers music that can be achieved for free (private file sharing or russian sites...or discogs, vinyl is always my best option).

DJ Delight
Oldskool Raver
Oldskool Raver

Post by DJ Delight » Sun Mar 02, 2014 5:39 pm

HardcoreJunglism wrote:Well as I suspected even though I made the effort to do the right thing and give people a heads up we are in the wrong anyway

And yes we are trying to make money - FOR THE ARTISTS of course we are going to stop people putting up whole full length tracks when we are going to be selling them

We have made the choice to make this thread public to try to ensure as little amounts of channels are affected so if we were trying to eliminate the competition as you claimed why would we tell everyone to remove specific tracks and artists

Every track that is being removed will still be available as clips not full tracks on our channel any ways
Firstly, if you "suspected" this would happen...why did you do it ?

WHY are you tryin to make money for the artists? Surely they could do all this without your help,I know i've seen enough people on here get some artists to release a ltd repress of certain tunes etc...i'm afraid you are tryin to corner the market,despite your denials .

To me it seems like you've gatecrashed a community and said ok my house is bigger and better than yours so come to my party ...I think you greatly under estimated the strength of the community on here and thought that people would just roll over and be hanging on your every word .

You went public and told everyone in order to save youreslves getting a bad rep(earlier than you have) and the hassle of taking down peoples' clips.and pi$$ing them off.
Reverse psychology in my book...

As someone else pointed out the whole thing smacks of Thatcherism....taking from the smaller sitess/channels....stop them from trading. & denying people access ..and then scooping it all up and placing it in one big exclusive corporate site ....I'm afaid you are the Gordon Gecko of Old Skool...and the antithesis of what most people stand for in this and other similar online communities [-(