RIP Chris Savage - DJ Sav

Old Skool chat, tune discussions.
No tape packs or mix tape posts in the forum please!
nebkins
Old Skool Don Daddy
Old Skool Don Daddy

RIP Chris Savage - DJ Sav

Post by nebkins » Mon Jan 27, 2014 10:29 am

I was notified on my Facebook yesterday of the extremely sad news that Chris Savage passed away suddenly on Saturday 25th January. He was 34.

For those that didnt know of him, Chris ran the hugely influential "Sav's Jungle Tekno Zone" website back in the late 90's and early 2000's which was one of the first websites dedicated to underground breakbeat hardcore.

When i first got on the web back in the 90's his website was invaluable to me and introduced me to the world of non-anthemy hardcore and inspired me to dig deep for obscure white labels. I spent many a Sunday evening on the phone to him when he lived at his dad's house in Cheadle playing unknown tunes and things we'd stumbled on during our digging trips back and forth down the line. My abiding memory is hearing his dad playing piano in the background whilst we listened to twisted 1992 and 1993 hardcore. We swapped countless records and the knowledge he had was second to none.

Another part of his life back then was a mailing list where he sent mad and abstract animations around and i knew he was a very talented computer programmer as well as someone with a wicked sense of humour.

We lost contact along the way but contact was re-established a few years ago on Facebook. He had dug out his hardcore records and was interested in combining them with a new love of his - 78rpm records. He created the "Sav's Jungle Techno and Gramaphone Radio Show" on Soundcloud in which he played the best of old hardcore interspersed with vintage oddball 78's and his cutting wit and charisma. I urge you to download the 8 episodes he has uploaded to Soundcloud.

To say im shocked at his passing is a serious understatement. I was meant to meet up with him for the first time late last year in London but had to cancel due to family commitments. Im gutted that i never had a chance to meet him in person.

You will be missed.

ian saunders
Old Skool Don Daddy
Old Skool Don Daddy

Re: RIP Chris Savage - DJ Sav

Post by ian saunders » Mon Jan 27, 2014 10:36 am

Sad news. I too remember first getting on the internet thingy and one of the first old skool pages in the webring was Sav's page. Never met him or talked to him, but sad to see someone go so young.

eazyflow
Old Skool Don Daddy
Old Skool Don Daddy

Post by eazyflow » Mon Jan 27, 2014 10:53 am

A very sad loss :(

Sav's page was one of the first pages I ever discovered on the internet that was dedicated to all things old skool. I too remember speaking with him on the phone playing tunes to each other and I still have some of his mixtapes he sent to play on our pirate radio station here in Hull. His knowledge was immense and he was always enthusistic to talk and help out with ID's. It's very sad to hear of him passing at such a young age.

*Lighter*

dj_gyr8
Old Skool Don Daddy
Old Skool Don Daddy

Post by dj_gyr8 » Mon Jan 27, 2014 11:21 am

Hi,

Sad news.

His site was extremely useful BITD before Discogs, and he will be missed.

dj jedi

Post by dj jedi » Mon Jan 27, 2014 11:24 am

Shit very sorry to hear that, I was also one of probably many people that would send him tapes of clips to ID! :(

strongforce
The Messiah of the 21st Century

Post by strongforce » Mon Jan 27, 2014 2:42 pm

Is this the DJ-Sav you mean? The German guy who played on Breakpirates a few years ago?

http://backtotheoldskool.co.uk/forum/me ... le&u=10068

Shocked to hear this. JonSST and I met up with him on a trip to Amsterdam a few years ago. Was a proper sound guy and well up for meeting a couple of strangers for a weekender. He certainly loved his music and came across as someone who enjoyed life to the full.

Sorry to hear the sad news :(

nebkins
Old Skool Don Daddy
Old Skool Don Daddy

Post by nebkins » Mon Jan 27, 2014 2:57 pm

No this is the original DJ Sav from near Manchester, England.

http://soundcloud.com/mrsav

Check out the radio shows i mentioned in my first post.

strongforce

Post by strongforce » Mon Jan 27, 2014 3:09 pm

Cant view Soundcloud from work although condolences all the same. Sounds like a top bloke :(

vali/ nme click
Oldskool Raver
Oldskool Raver

Post by vali/ nme click » Mon Jan 27, 2014 3:34 pm

that´s very sad news. never met him or communicated but remember his page. may he rest in peace :-(

renegadegenius
Nicolas Parsons
Nicolas Parsons
Location: Bat Beat Vol 2 - It's Still Here!!!! (as are a few copies of Vol 1)

Post by renegadegenius » Mon Jan 27, 2014 4:13 pm

Shit!
I'm not sure if I ever dealt directly with him, but remember the old site & also only downloaded one of those radio shows the other month (with the 78s samples).

Sad news :(

phil
Old Skool Don Daddy
Old Skool Don Daddy

Post by phil » Mon Jan 27, 2014 5:21 pm

strongforce wrote:Is this the DJ-Sav you mean? The German guy who played on Breakpirates a few years ago?

http://backtotheoldskool.co.uk/forum/me ... le&u=10068

Shocked to hear this. JonSST and I met up with him on a trip to Amsterdam a few years ago. Was a proper sound guy and well up for meeting a couple of strangers for a weekender. He certainly loved his music and came across as someone who enjoyed life to the full.

Sorry to hear the sad news :(
different guy baz

pete.devnull
Old Skool Master
Old Skool Master

Post by pete.devnull » Mon Jan 27, 2014 6:42 pm

Very sorry to hear this. Nebkins put me in touch w/ him last year and I've kept in touch since his taste in obscure weirdo anorak tunes was very much in-line w/ mine. Had just talked to him a week ago about him doing a mix for my blog of all his favorite craziest tunes (he agreed + was gonna do it in a couple month's time) :( RIP dude, way too soon!

Thumpson
Old Skool Don Daddy
Old Skool Don Daddy

Post by Thumpson » Mon Jan 27, 2014 6:49 pm

That is sad news. From what i can tell the man really knew his tunes and was all about sharing the music. RIP

Adam Timeless

Post by Adam Timeless » Mon Jan 27, 2014 8:34 pm

Very sad news. I never met the man, but he sounded like a top bloke. I remember his website though which was really good and I looked at a lot during the early days of the internet. Deepest condolences to his family and friends. 34 is no age! Very sad indeed. RIP Sav :(

Adam Timeless

Post by Adam Timeless » Mon Jan 27, 2014 8:34 pm

Very sad news. I never met the man, but he sounded like a top bloke. I remember his website though which was really good and I looked at a lot during the early days of the internet. Deepest condolences to his family and friends. 34 is no age! Very sad indeed. RIP Sav :(