Ravin' Abroad

Old Skool chat, tune discussions.
No tape packs or mix tape posts in the forum please!
DJ ABO
The Messiah of the 21st Century

Ravin' Abroad

Post by DJ ABO » Sun Dec 08, 2013 3:27 pm

I fancy a rave up abroad next year, somewhere with a buzzin' atmosphere.
maybe a night of old skool hardcore and techno. Anyone recomend anywhere?

dreamweave
Old Skool Master
Old Skool Master

Re: Ravin' Abroad

Post by dreamweave » Sun Dec 08, 2013 9:09 pm

Im travelling to Holland in Feb for my first event abroad, Hard Bass, just can't imagine dancing with 25,000 people as you would never get something like this in the UK.

DJ Chance
Old Skool Don Daddy
Old Skool Don Daddy

Post by DJ Chance » Mon Dec 09, 2013 5:26 pm

Why dont we have this in the UK?

Think of all them great huge raves in the Early 90's (Book of Love/Fantazia etc..)

They could do that these days in 02/Wembley etc..

*goes off to look into the cost!!!!!!!!!!

DJ ABO

Post by DJ ABO » Mon Dec 09, 2013 6:58 pm

Nice 1 Dreamweave! Daz that is exactly why I wanna try a rave abroad!

c_funk
Nicolas Parsons
Nicolas Parsons

Post by c_funk » Mon Dec 09, 2013 7:46 pm

done a nightmare outdoors in rotterdam a few years back. production beat any rave i have been to over here

Traffic Cone

Post by Traffic Cone » Mon Dec 09, 2013 8:32 pm

dance music is just bigger in Europe than here i think. particularly Germany, Belgium, Holland. more money in it - hence they can get 30,000 people to a hardcore night, for example...that's one thing 20 years ago when it's new and exciting, it's even more difficult now given the fragmentation of dance music in general!

back to the topic - also been to holland, a few times in the last 10 years. the scale and production involved is incredible alone, and I do really like the music anyway :) atmosphere isn't quite as lively as a UK rave though. part of that is the size of it, but they do seem more reserved in general. (or, to be more objective, British ravers are probably just more insane in general :D) went to Belgium once too - bit more underground, better atmosphere too.

I think the closest you'd get to hearing oldskool at a big rave over there would be a rave with an oldskool arena - which would be old 91-93ish techno, tunes like Pull Over, Three Oh Three, that sort of thing.

Not to be confused with what they call "early hardcore", which is oldskool gabba. THat's what I'd like to still go to over there, maybe next year some time...specifically one called Pandemonium:)

dreamweave
Old Skool Master
Old Skool Master

Post by dreamweave » Tue Dec 10, 2013 8:52 am

DJ Chance wrote:Why dont we have this in the UK?

Think of all them great huge raves in the Early 90's (Book of Love/Fantazia etc..)

They could do that these days in 02/Wembley etc..

*goes off to look into the cost!!!!!!!!!!
I think this topic was spoken about a few months ago and it really amazes me that the UK had such a great dance music scene yet at this years Global Gathering, the biggest dance music festival we have, that the headliners were Rita Ora and Plan B, REALLY!!!!! The commercial side of dance music in the UK is so boring, DnB is just same old same old and hasn't really changed at all in the last 15 years, house is everywhere and sounds very similar to house of the mid 90's. If you look at genres like Hardstyle and Dutch Hardcore they are always evolving and progressing with the sound changing all the time, it keeps the scene fresh.
I would love to see something like Hard Bass or one of the similar events at the O2 or Wembley Stadium but just can't see it happening in the UK. I know sensation did an even t a couple of years ago but see they haven't rushed back to do another. I just really fancied an event on a large scale with a massive production budget and to dance with people that love their music and for me Hard Bass is perfect, music slightly harder than an even like Qlimax, would love to do Decibel Outdoor next summer of Defqon 1........

dreamweave
Old Skool Master
Old Skool Master

Post by dreamweave » Tue Dec 10, 2013 9:00 am

Heres a little video from Decibel Outdoor to show the whole spectrum of genres that they play from Parkzicht classics so early house and belgian techno, their back to school night playing early rave right through to higher BPM stuff...

stringz
Oldskool Raver
Oldskool Raver

Post by stringz » Tue Dec 10, 2013 11:18 am

Wow that looks incredible! Not bad music either! Just needs a bit more 92 era top buzz and ratty and Robbie dee and it would be perfect

lemsip
Old Skool Master
Old Skool Master

Post by lemsip » Wed Dec 11, 2013 3:05 am

Come to America for some stadium EDM raves.

si 2 bad
Oldskool Raver
Oldskool Raver

Post by si 2 bad » Wed Dec 11, 2013 6:11 am

Decibel looks the one - cannot find a website for it though??? Would love to apply to play....

dreamweave
Old Skool Master
Old Skool Master

Post by dreamweave » Thu Dec 12, 2013 7:27 pm

si 2 bad wrote:Decibel looks the one - cannot find a website for it though??? Would love to apply to play....
Its run by a company called B2S that holds the Hard Bass and Decibel Outdoor festival, similar to Q Dance. http://www.b2s.nl

scouserjapan
New User
New User

Post by scouserjapan » Wed Jan 08, 2014 3:42 pm

This thread makes me think of a few massive raves I went to in Switzerland in the mid 90s.
At a place called Roggwil which was in this tiny Swiss village which had a disused factory/warehouse complex in the middle of it.
A few minutes of footage here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pHIqyUM-FyY
Front cover of flyer here: http://emuseum40.zhdk.ch/view/objects/a ... /title-asc

They had a few huge rooms with "happycore" as they called it. Dj Sy and Magika were on! The rest was trance and house and a tiny jungle room which was great but not too busy. Had a few UK DJs in there.

Funny thing was the Swiss rail semi-sponsored part of the flyer encouraging everyone to go by train!
Atmosphere was pretty positive, no edge.

Contrasted with a smaller techno rave I went to in Strasbourg around the same time and that had loads of scalliwags floating around. Not a nice atmosphere at all.

jonny
Nicolas Parsons
Nicolas Parsons

Post by jonny » Thu Jan 09, 2014 9:34 pm

I've been doing that for years coming to the UK ;-)

Nah seriously you guys are welcome in Dublin anytime, there's still a vibrant old skool scene here generally on a bank holiday weekend you'll get at least 2 old skool events on.

Barring that if anyone's up for a trip to Belgium or Holland I'm on board.