Earliest sets....of yourselves??

Old Skool chat, tune discussions.
No tape packs or mix tape posts in the forum please!
phil
Old Skool Don Daddy
Old Skool Don Daddy

Re: Earliest sets....of yourselves??

Post by phil » Mon Nov 18, 2013 4:59 pm

can you upload it?

dj_gyr8
Old Skool Don Daddy
Old Skool Don Daddy

Post by dj_gyr8 » Mon Nov 18, 2013 5:40 pm

Hi,

Funny how we never made much effort to record our sets BITD. The worst thing, is how so many ppl, inc myself used to record over our own sets!

Why did so many of us do recorded sets at stupidly high pitched speeds? Never did it live, but happily own up to doing it myself, for recorded sets. Even the big name DJs did this... Was it to cram in as many tracks as poss?

Restless
Old Skool Don Daddy
Old Skool Don Daddy

Post by Restless » Mon Nov 18, 2013 6:31 pm

dj_gyr8 wrote:Hi,

Funny how we never made much effort to record our sets BITD. The worst thing, is how so many ppl, inc myself used to record over our own sets!

Why did so many of us do recorded sets at stupidly high pitched speeds? Never did it live, but happily own up to doing it myself, for recorded sets. Even the big name DJs did this... Was it to cram in as many tracks as poss?
No. Out of your nut on E's, the last thing you want is 128 bpm. And besides, a 5 minute track is always going to be a 5 minute track.

I always play fast (+6). Can't stand DJ's that play at +0. The set just goes nowhere with that tempo unless its Hip Hop.

Traffic Cone
The Messiah of the 21st Century
The Messiah of the 21st Century

Post by Traffic Cone » Mon Nov 18, 2013 7:54 pm

^^^ couldn't agree more. certainly for hardcore i always play pitched up a bit, and i think most tunes sound better that way. an engineer friend of mine once told me he made tunes a little slower than intended knowing that people would probably pitch them up when playing :D

i think it is something that people tend to do more when they start out, i guess - that early enthusiasm and energy meaning wanting to hear tunes a bit faster. whereas when one gets older and more lethargic you slow down a bit ;)

to me, stupidly high pitched would have to be +16 or something. and even then, that's something that i've heard on plenty of tapes from raves, never mind bedroom DJ tapes.

djflow1977
Regular
Regular

Post by djflow1977 » Tue Nov 19, 2013 3:46 pm

Got this one. I found three old tapes of mine recently and uploaded them onto my Soundcloud. This is possibly the better of the three, not too bad seeing as I'm sure I was using my Soundlab DLP 1's at the point in time - this was around 1995.

Some good tunes though!

http://soundcloud.com/dan_djflow/dj-danny-volume-4

vali/ nme click
Oldskool Raver
Oldskool Raver

Post by vali/ nme click » Tue Nov 19, 2013 7:27 pm

Not so early, but at least a live recording around 2000s with a definitve raving vibe. I just ripped some tapes from earlier, will post them any day soon :-)

https://soundcloud.com/vali_nmeclick/nmeclick-legendarytuebingenoldskool-92_93

flipside
Old Skool Master
Old Skool Master

Post by flipside » Mon Nov 25, 2013 6:35 am

I was in the loft the other day and found loads of my mix tapes dating back to 91, the earliest was late 91 I think when I was DJing at my 1st rave, the mixing is awful. Haha I might try and rip it if I can find a tape deck

dj jedi

Post by dj jedi » Mon Nov 25, 2013 10:43 am

dj_gyr8 wrote:Funny how we never made much effort to record our sets BITD. The worst thing, is how so many ppl, inc myself used to record over our own sets!
Yep that's a real regret of mine, I copied over so many tapes and mini discs I made before MP3s were the norm, some of them live sets. I used to have a d&b set I did at a club in 1998 with a couple of well known local MCs on it (Shadow and Manic) wish I still had that :(

I also wish digital recorders were more widely available back then. I have recorded all my sets since about 2006 using an MP3 recorder, but prior to that the only live sets I have of myself are from tape packs, apart from the odd one where I borrowed a mates minidisc recorder. I especially wish I had my set from 2001 at Brixton Academy, I doubt I'll ever get the chance to play there again!