Do you still go record shopping?

Old Skool chat, tune discussions.
No tape packs or mix tape posts in the forum please!
BrianBadonde
Oldskool Raver
Oldskool Raver

Re: Do you still go record shopping?

Post by BrianBadonde » Mon Oct 07, 2013 12:33 pm

Tun wells way Phil

THEDJFX
Regular
Regular

Post by THEDJFX » Mon Oct 07, 2013 12:57 pm

The usual London haunts for me too - Reckless, MVE, and Sister Ray - although yeah in there I very rarely find a record that isn't competely battered! Maybe their oldskool stock comprises of a DJs collection - it certainly doesnt seem to change very often.

I lovew MVE in Greenwich too - very rare that I come out of there empty handed. You do need a couple of unintereputed hours spare though, but that basement always turns up a gem for 50p :-)

I've been in Haggle Vinyl in Islington too, and that actually had a pretty good hardcore/jungle section - the place is a big mess though, so tons to go through - the bloke that owns it is nuts too!

I'm based in Kent too :-) Gravesend way.

BrianBadonde
Oldskool Raver
Oldskool Raver

Post by BrianBadonde » Mon Oct 07, 2013 12:59 pm

Born and bred in gravesend! (how i've turned out the way I am I don't know!)

Arrgh I used to live in greenwich. Before the vinyl addiction kicked in though!

Paul Zykotik
Old Skool Don Daddy
Old Skool Don Daddy

Post by Paul Zykotik » Mon Oct 07, 2013 2:46 pm

I didn't realise that Greenwich MVE had a basement. Might pay a visit there next weekend. Bit of a trek from where I am so I've only been there twice!

TC - Alan's isn't a bad shop. I haven't been there in about a year as it's a bit of a mission (especially now I'm not working in London) but he has huge techno/old skool/drum & bass selections, albeit most of it stays the same and the prices never change (although I reckon he's open to offers as he does discounts if you pay in cash). I've picked a few decent jungle bits from there over the years. Capone - Black Wax EP for a fiver was a nice find :)

Never seen much in the harder way of things in there though.

nebkins
Old Skool Don Daddy
Old Skool Don Daddy

Post by nebkins » Mon Oct 07, 2013 2:53 pm

Greenwich is rubbish. Wouldnt bother imo ;)

Found some ok stuff at Alans but think it was pillaged before i got to it. And stock hasnt really changed in between my visits.

The biggest hardcore selection ive seen recently is a shop in Beckenham. When i visited last year they must have had 1000+ hardcore 1991-1994. Shame condition and price wasnt favourable and i had most but i plucked a few things out.

nebkins
Old Skool Don Daddy
Old Skool Don Daddy

Post by nebkins » Mon Oct 07, 2013 2:59 pm

Reckless is definitely worse condition than MVE's in general. However it really all depends on the collection. I bought 3 bits from there last Thursday all about £3-5 and they were lovely condition.

However i got told i couldnt look at any records that had "marked" written on the price labels by one of the blokes working there once as i was "well known" for looking at lots of records and then putting them back as they were in shit condition. Lol.

rage
Old Skool Don Daddy
Old Skool Don Daddy

Post by rage » Mon Oct 07, 2013 3:24 pm

That's pathetic! Last time I was there I bought 4 tunes and they were all like new, pretty good prices too I was over the moon with them.

Luck of the draw I guess. Sister Ray I quite often find they are really shabby.

phil
Old Skool Don Daddy
Old Skool Don Daddy

Post by phil » Mon Oct 07, 2013 3:26 pm

BrianBadonde wrote:Tun wells way Phil
there used to be 2 shops there bitd

i think sound bytes as a record shop in tonbridge - may well be worth a visit

Deepbass9
Old Skool Don Daddy
Old Skool Don Daddy

Post by Deepbass9 » Mon Oct 07, 2013 4:47 pm

Miss going through all the dingy MVE basements used to spend hours in them with my fisher price record player never used to go home empty handed.

Traffic Cone
The Messiah of the 21st Century

Post by Traffic Cone » Mon Oct 07, 2013 8:18 pm

rage wrote: Luck of the draw I guess. Sister Ray I quite often find they are really shabby.
same. with Reckless i often find a tune will maybe look a bit dodgy under the shop lights, but if i give it the chance it looks and plays fine to me. but then i'm happy with VG/VG+.

but with Sister Ray often if they have something good when they dig out the actual copy it looks awful. as in actually crackly not just marked. usually with no warning on the label or anything. i mean they're not tricking anyone cos they do always show it to you :D but it is definitely quite variable.

eazyflow
Old Skool Don Daddy
Old Skool Don Daddy

Post by eazyflow » Mon Oct 07, 2013 8:23 pm

No record shops around me anymore :( Actually I tell a lie, there is one. But the owner is a complete mong so I don't bother.

I do miss it. I'm one of those rare breeds that will happily spend the whole day looking at records, even if it's not Hardcore & Jungle. Just looking at and reading sleeves is my favorite form of escapism... almost as if I can momentarily submerse myself in a different time or world and forget about my worries :)

As convenient and brilliant as Discogs is, I will never get that same rush of flicking through a stack of vinyl, determined to get to the end when all of a sudden BAM, there is that hidden gem that you have been after for years and you feel as if you're dreaming finally holding it in your dusty little fingers.

Traffic Cone

Post by Traffic Cone » Mon Oct 07, 2013 8:29 pm

Paul Zykotik wrote: TC - Alan's isn't a bad shop. I haven't been there in about a year as it's a bit of a mission (especially now I'm not working in London) but he has huge techno/old skool/drum & bass selections, albeit most of it stays the same and the prices never change (although I reckon he's open to offers as he does discounts if you pay in cash). I've picked a few decent jungle bits from there over the years. Capone - Black Wax EP for a fiver was a nice find :)

Never seen much in the harder way of things in there though.
well if there's no gabba it can fuck off.

nah i'll have to check it out - half an hour walk from my house according to Google Maps. will have to pop down at the weekend! glad to have one nearby.

actually i have an Oxfam with a music selection about 3 minutes away. generally has nothing but the first time i looked i found an early No U-Turn and one of those Slammin Vinyl repress albums with a few good tunes on it :D

Traffic Cone

Post by Traffic Cone » Mon Oct 07, 2013 8:32 pm

eazyflow wrote: I do miss it. I'm one of those rare breeds that will happily spend the whole day looking at records, even if it's not Hardcore & Jungle. Just looking at and reading sleeves is my favorite form of escapism... almost as if I can momentarily submerse myself in a different time or world and forget about my worries :)
tbh i can agree with that. i'm glad not to have to rely on that to find the stuff i want, but i go so often to the ones next to work partly just because of that, it is a sort of weirdly satisfying environment to browse in. even if i have no real hope of finding anything that i'd buy with as much enthusiasm were it not in front of me.

Restless
Old Skool Don Daddy
Old Skool Don Daddy

Post by Restless » Tue Oct 08, 2013 10:04 am

How far are these records shops apart from one another?

Are the MVE's close to Reckless and Sister Ray etc? Or are they miles apart?

I remember shopping down London and being in North London (Pure Groove) and then having to get to Soho for the other shop that I went to (Uptown).

Are the shops mentioned in this thread like that, distance wise or not?

Traffic Cone

Post by Traffic Cone » Tue Oct 08, 2013 10:57 am

Reckless, Sister Ray and the Soho MVE are all in the same street - Berwick St in Soho. just off Oxford St. it's the street on the front cover of Definitely Maybe if that rings a bell :D

then a short tube journey from there to Angel and you can walk up Essex Rd to Flashback and theh Haggle Vinyl. wouldn't take you much more than half an hour travel between the two i don't think.