Do you still go record shopping?

Old Skool chat, tune discussions.
No tape packs or mix tape posts in the forum please!
Restless
Old Skool Don Daddy
Old Skool Don Daddy

Do you still go record shopping?

Post by Restless » Sun Oct 06, 2013 2:24 pm

How often do you go these days, and where do you go to?

To those that don't (lack of local shops, Discogs etc), do you miss it?

c_funk
Nicolas Parsons
Nicolas Parsons

Re: Do you still go record shopping?

Post by c_funk » Sun Oct 06, 2013 4:17 pm

occasionally if im up around oxford street i will go down berwick street theres still 3 down there i think

dj jedi

Post by dj jedi » Sun Oct 06, 2013 5:07 pm

I used to go to MVE at least once a week when I was working on Notting Hill, but now I work in Victoria and there aren't any around there. MVE in Camden has closed down so none near my house any more either :(

I've got a bit sick of the Soho ones (Reckless etc) as they're just too expensive!

phil
Old Skool Don Daddy
Old Skool Don Daddy

Post by phil » Sun Oct 06, 2013 5:33 pm

I go occasionally, I don't think you can beat crate digging for tunes.
I have 3 record shops near me still altho 2 shops of 3 the prices are just messy imo

I miss the days of independent record shops in every town tho before the internet.

saying that discogs buying can be quite good and very useful in tracking down unknowns

c_funk
Nicolas Parsons
Nicolas Parsons

Post by c_funk » Sun Oct 06, 2013 6:21 pm

i went in crazybeat about a year ago i suppose up hornchurch and done a fair bit on tunes

Traffic Cone
The Messiah of the 21st Century

Post by Traffic Cone » Sun Oct 06, 2013 7:35 pm

i work just next to Soho so visit the MVE and Reckless there regularly. partly because it's so close. because of Discogs it can be a bit expensive as Jedi says, although in the last year or so it's got better (mostly). saw some decently priced stuff in recently. sometimes it works out roughly about the same to get it from there over discogs, maybe save a quid or two with postage included.

don't miss record shopping that much really - the buzz in hunting through second hand shops sort of went with my excitement of being new to the music. much prefer it now!

Restless
Old Skool Don Daddy
Old Skool Don Daddy

Post by Restless » Sun Oct 06, 2013 9:50 pm

What MVE's are still open in London?

I've been meaning to get down to London and do some serious record shopping for ages now. But what shops, besides MVE, are still open for dance music? I've always been massively into buying records, but I've gone mental (again) latey on the wax, so a trip down south is due before Christmas (nice little treat for myself).

Mr_Geese
Regular
Regular

Post by Mr_Geese » Sun Oct 06, 2013 10:35 pm

I used to like going to shops, been reckless never found anything in there i could find in discogs for better condition and cheaper, i've only bought in there because of the fact i'm there might as well pick this up

MVE notting hill gate on the other hand was pretty decent, picked up a few good bits for good prices in good condition, very rarely did i leave empty handed.
I'm not sure if that one is still there, me and missus passed through there recently and i wanted to go in but couldn't i cant remember if it was closed down or it had moved or changed

But now i dont bother, too much hassle, most shops stock in poorly organized if organized at all, or they just dont really have enough stock to worth bothering with in the first place

deebom
Oldskool Raver
Oldskool Raver

Post by deebom » Mon Oct 07, 2013 4:38 am

There is an MVE in Greenwhich, but I think it's a little over priced. Cant beat charity shop digging. I've been buying stuff I have lost over the years from Discogs. I sometimes buy new releases online too. I recently bought a new Photek tune on 12" directly from his site.

vali/ nme click
Oldskool Raver
Oldskool Raver

Post by vali/ nme click » Mon Oct 07, 2013 9:20 am

Still go 1-3x/ month, the rest is online shopping, mostly discogs. I really enjoy the experience of spending some time there, chatting to the guys at the counter and getting dusty fingers and an empty wallet. always wanted to work in a record shop but it sadly never happened.

Digging in my parents basement is the best though: As my flat in Berlin is too small for all of my collection around half of it still sits there, 650 km away from me. Just came back yesterday with a bag full of vinyls: after dark, skeleton, subbase, basement and some obscure white labels i need to check whats on (no turntable at my parents). And all for free, what a bargain haha. I begin to forget whats there though, bought a tune shortly that sat there already.
Last edited by vali/ nme click on Mon Oct 07, 2013 10:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

Traffic Cone

Post by Traffic Cone » Mon Oct 07, 2013 9:27 am

Restless wrote:What MVE's are still open in London?

I've been meaning to get down to London and do some serious record shopping for ages now. But what shops, besides MVE, are still open for dance music? I've always been massively into buying records, but I've gone mental (again) latey on the wax, so a trip down south is due before Christmas (nice little treat for myself).
as well as Soho, there's Notting Hill - used to have a dedicated Soul & Dance shop. this shut recently and has been moved to the upstairs of the non-dance MVE next door, and is thus much smaller. not been to the Greenwich one.

but as well as that: there's Flashback in Angel, which has a small selection but i've had the occasional really good buy from. got a rare early 2000s jungle record by Soundmurderer there last Friday, pleasantly surprised!

up the road from that there's Haggle Vinyl which i've never been to. from the sounds of it it's a disorganised mess with random pricing. guess if you really like the digging for gems maybe worth a look?

and in Soho: Sister Ray, more of a new music shop but has a couple of racks of oldskool. sometimes in ropey condition that's only apparent once you take it to the counter. so if it's reasonably priced don't get your hopes up ;) and Reckless, which has lots of old stuff of various genres, quite a bit of oldskool and d&b, and is *mostly* quite reasonable these days. and there's Blackmarket round the corner (never been).

i think djDTL of Discogs fame has a shop in Hackney Wick - never gone out to check. no idea what it's like!

looking it up i've realised there's one round the corner from me called Alan's. anyone know if that's worth a look for oldskool? not sure having one that close is healthy tbh, bad enough spending money at work lunchtimes :D

electric tribe
He never locked his car door
He never locked his car door

Post by electric tribe » Mon Oct 07, 2013 9:53 am

Hardly ever any more, if i walk by a charity shop i will take a look. All my buying is done through discogs these days, discover way more tunes through that you tube than heading to a record shop and often coming home empty handed or with tunes i end up disliking.

dj_gyr8
Old Skool Don Daddy
Old Skool Don Daddy

Post by dj_gyr8 » Mon Oct 07, 2013 10:13 am

No

BrianBadonde
Oldskool Raver
Oldskool Raver

Post by BrianBadonde » Mon Oct 07, 2013 11:55 am

I'd seriously love to go record shopping! a few probs with this.

There are non local to me in Kent so i'd have to go in to London.

I doubt there are any record shops that cater for my tastes (90-95) that would be competitive with discogs sellers

People to go with. None of my mates are vinyl whores like me. The whole part of record buying when I was thick in it back in the day was going with your mates.

Plus I am a virtual cripple until my back surgery in a few weeks which puts me out till the new year.

Discogs is my dealer for this addiction!

phil
Old Skool Don Daddy
Old Skool Don Daddy

Post by phil » Mon Oct 07, 2013 12:11 pm

whereabouts in kent are you?