90's Helter Skelter Raves!

Old Skool chat, tune discussions.
No tape packs or mix tape posts in the forum please!
dan
Oldskool Raver
Oldskool Raver

Re: 90's Helter Skelter Raves!

Post by dan » Mon Sep 16, 2013 7:13 pm

I went to most of the dreamscapes and Helter Skelters from 1997. We started going then because of the old skool nights creeping in (and we turned 17 so we were pretty much ok to get in lol). Dreamscape 25 and Energy 97 were two that stick in my mind from that year. The old skool tent at E97 was cool but i remember the sound wasnt so great!

I always see people say how friendly the happy hardcore scene was and this surprises me! We stopped going because of the bad vibes. At the time we got a coach from preston down to the events which picked up through liverpool and the last ones we went to in 97 (last being 97/98 nye helter skelter) just ended in scum bags starting trouble with us. Honestly i dont know if it was because we were easy targets being so young but it never ended well.

....oh the hardcore heaven history of hardcore one was good too! Great night aside from Grooverider and Mickey Finn not turning up.

Like others im not a mad techno head but did venture into the technodrome. Was always rammed for Marky G.

GYR8 which events did you play at mate?

Actually just sold all my old tape packs on ebay....wonder if any went to people on here??

Dan

dan
Oldskool Raver
Oldskool Raver

Post by dan » Mon Sep 16, 2013 7:14 pm

Marky G......lol Mark EG

haha....oops!

dan
Oldskool Raver
Oldskool Raver

Post by dan » Mon Sep 16, 2013 7:15 pm

sorry to ramble but if anyone wants any specific flyers for these ive got literally shoe boxes full from walking out at 7.00 in the morning and getting handed bucket loads!

phil
Old Skool Don Daddy
Old Skool Don Daddy

Post by phil » Mon Sep 16, 2013 8:22 pm

dan wrote:I went to most of the dreamscapes and Helter Skelters from 1997. We started going then because of the old skool nights creeping in (and we turned 17 so we were pretty much ok to get in lol). Dreamscape 25 and Energy 97 were two that stick in my mind from that year. The old skool tent at E97 was cool but i remember the sound wasnt so great!

I always see people say how friendly the happy hardcore scene was and this surprises me! We stopped going because of the bad vibes. At the time we got a coach from preston down to the events which picked up through liverpool and the last ones we went to in 97 (last being 97/98 nye helter skelter) just ended in scum bags starting trouble with us. Honestly i dont know if it was because we were easy targets being so young but it never ended well.

....oh the hardcore heaven history of hardcore one was good too! Great night aside from Grooverider and Mickey Finn not turning up.

Like others im not a mad techno head but did venture into the technodrome. Was always rammed for Marky G.

GYR8 which events did you play at mate?

Actually just sold all my old tape packs on ebay....wonder if any went to people on here??

Dan
I went to energy 97, spent most of if not all the night in the old skool tent. sound was rubbish. im in the video wearing tommy Hilfiger t shirt ;)

Traffic Cone
The Messiah of the 21st Century

Post by Traffic Cone » Mon Sep 16, 2013 9:06 pm

dan wrote: I always see people say how friendly the happy hardcore scene was and this surprises me! We stopped going because of the bad vibes. At the time we got a coach from preston down to the events which picked up through liverpool and the last ones we went to in 97 (last being 97/98 nye helter skelter) just ended in scum bags starting trouble with us. Honestly i dont know if it was because we were easy targets being so young but it never ended well.
i think it's one of those things that varies per area. to over-simplify i think a lot of places where d&b or garage or similar wasn't popular, the rudeboy demographic that would be into that, would instead favour happy hardcore or similar. i suspect liverpool would count there, similarly the north east and scotland. i know when i was first happy hardcore raving the evil birkenheaders were the boogiemen of the scene :D

i do still find the idea of fighting to that sort of music hilarious though. it was one of the peculiarities of raving when i started - that the happy music would be where you might have trouble, but the room playing the really evil heavy stuff was a lot more friendly.

Restless
Old Skool Don Daddy
Old Skool Don Daddy

Post by Restless » Mon Sep 16, 2013 9:12 pm

The stuff played in the Technodrome is possibly the worst music I've ever heard. An aural nightmare.

No soul, groove, vibe or warmth to it. Complete and utter dogshit.

dreamweave
Old Skool Master
Old Skool Master

Post by dreamweave » Mon Sep 16, 2013 9:19 pm

Restless wrote:The stuff played in the Technodrome is possibly the worst music I've ever heard. An aural nightmare.

No soul, groove, vibe or warmth to it. Complete and utter dogshit.
I quite like the old gabba sets, especially like DJ Producer's sets from early 96, just hard and stomping!

Traffic Cone

Post by Traffic Cone » Mon Sep 16, 2013 10:35 pm

Restless wrote:No soul, groove, vibe or warmth to it.
yep, that's the idea \:D/ ](*,)

Paul Zykotik
Old Skool Don Daddy
Old Skool Don Daddy

Post by Paul Zykotik » Tue Sep 17, 2013 7:32 am

Innit. 100% no soul guaranteed 8)

Never went to Skelter at the Sanctuary, although I did make it to Energy 97. I don't remember the sound in the old skool tent being crap but I was probably so pleased at hearing old skool properly for the first time at a rave that I didn't care.

I do remember it being impossible to hear the breakdowns in the main tent due to the amount of horns, and sweat pouring off the inside of the Technodrome tent. Great stuff.

dj jedi

Post by dj jedi » Tue Sep 17, 2013 8:02 am

dan wrote:I always see people say how friendly the happy hardcore scene was and this surprises me! We stopped going because of the bad vibes.
You're right there definitely were bad eggs there too, the 'Birkenhead' crew most famously. I had a bottle thrown at me by one of them once, but luckily I knew their reputation so just walked off rather than taking the bait. But despite the few cunts there were far more nice people, and I felt way safer there than at places like Bagleys.

enfield_paul
Old Skool Master
Old Skool Master
Location: Down the front, on the left by the speakers at the Ark

Post by enfield_paul » Tue Sep 17, 2013 8:24 am

went to the one off at birmingham sanctuary in 97. was pretty good.

dj_gyr8
Old Skool Don Daddy
Old Skool Don Daddy

Post by dj_gyr8 » Tue Sep 17, 2013 9:59 am

Hi,

Love the "100% no soul guaranteed" pun :-)

I get everyones point about the bad eggs turning up - it was mainly the 'gangs' from the Midlands, shame really. Much worse at London events though!

When I mentioned Wales and West Coast, I didn't mean it moved there, but that if you were into Gabba then there were LOADS of events on all the time - without the idiots looking for a fight - all over the West coast and Wales.

phil
Old Skool Don Daddy
Old Skool Don Daddy

Post by phil » Tue Sep 17, 2013 10:47 am

Paul Zykotik wrote:Innit. 100% no soul guaranteed 8)

Never went to Skelter at the Sanctuary, although I did make it to Energy 97. I don't remember the sound in the old skool tent being crap but I was probably so pleased at hearing old skool properly for the first time at a rave that I didn't care.

I do remember it being impossible to hear the breakdowns in the main tent due to the amount of horns, and sweat pouring off the inside of the Technodrome tent. Great stuff.
it was ok till about midnight when the police and council turned up with decibel equipment, everyone was shouting turn it up lol

lentrix
Old Skool Don Daddy
Old Skool Don Daddy

Post by lentrix » Tue Sep 17, 2013 2:37 pm

Early ones were ok - but then the line up got a bit 'cheesy' for us ....

shuffleupaggus
Oldskool Raver
Oldskool Raver

Post by shuffleupaggus » Tue Sep 17, 2013 8:26 pm

Went to a few Helter Skelters throughout the 90's starting with the ones at Telford TanBank Oct 92

although the more the 90's went on... the less i seem to remember :-k
Traffic Cone wrote:i've always wondered what the technodrome was really like

:-D