90's Helter Skelter Raves!

Old Skool chat, tune discussions.
No tape packs or mix tape posts in the forum please!
Restless
Old Skool Don Daddy
Old Skool Don Daddy

90's Helter Skelter Raves!

Post by Restless » Mon Sep 16, 2013 12:31 pm

Jesus Christ! Just listening to a few on YouTube (mainly Hype sets) and they have to be the most up for it crowds that I've ever heard recorded! Same goes for the tapes that I have of HS Events from that era.

The atmosphere sounds unbelievable and the vibe must have been extordinary.

Any of you lot go to any Skelter Raves back around 94-99?

Legendary promoters/brand, man. I remember HS Raves/tapes being the stuff of legend back when I was a kid.

dj jedi

Re: 90's Helter Skelter Raves!

Post by dj jedi » Mon Sep 16, 2013 12:40 pm

I went to plenty between 1997 and 2000, and to be honest the noise was too much sometimes, you couldn't hear the music! The horns and whistles are great in small doses, but when it is constant all night it's a bit annoying.

Restless
Old Skool Don Daddy
Old Skool Don Daddy

Post by Restless » Mon Sep 16, 2013 1:19 pm

dj jedi wrote:I went to plenty between 1997 and 2000, and to be honest the noise was too much sometimes, you couldn't hear the music! The horns and whistles are great in small doses, but when it is constant all night it's a bit annoying.
Fair point.

What was the atmos/vibe like? Most memorable events?

dj jedi

Post by dj jedi » Mon Sep 16, 2013 2:14 pm

The best one I went to was Energy 98, I remember the 2 highlights were DJ Marky's first ever UK set (and look how big he is now) and also DJ Seduction's last ever hardcore set (although he's had 2 or 3 comebacks since!)

Don't get me wrong the atmosphere was second to none, especially when the happy hardcore DJs were playing, but all the horns and whistles would piss off the chin strokers :lol:

phil
Old Skool Don Daddy
Old Skool Don Daddy

Post by phil » Mon Sep 16, 2013 2:52 pm

Helter skelter was always a good night out. My faves had to be World Dance at Lydd Airport and Elevation at Crystal Palace and the one at Camden Palace - always good atmosphere

dj_gyr8
Old Skool Don Daddy
Old Skool Don Daddy

Post by dj_gyr8 » Mon Sep 16, 2013 3:10 pm

Hi,

Really liked skelter, when Dreamscape was still going, but 97-99 it just got too big, and too noisy...

stringz
Oldskool Raver
Oldskool Raver

Post by stringz » Mon Sep 16, 2013 3:27 pm

the HS tapes did sound electric! Got a wicked Randall and GQ one from 95 here he kicks off with Foul Play Open your mind 95 remix and it's tingle city. They would have had mics pointing pointing crowdwards and post mixed it imagine. One of the best examples of this is again another Randall set from Innovation 95/96 broadcast on Kiss FM and of course the legendary AWOL Ministry of Sound CD, which was actually a bit over the top and staged.
Otherwise most of the crowd noise on most rave sets comes through the MCs mic right?

Traffic Cone
The Messiah of the 21st Century

Post by Traffic Cone » Mon Sep 16, 2013 4:05 pm

i know some tape packs they capture the crowd noise better than others...hardcore heaven packs were quite good for that, sounding really "live". ditto world dance.

i've always wondered what the technodrome was really like. cos to people of my age into harder hardcore in the UK, it's the most famous old rave for that music. i've definitely listened to more Technodrome tapes than from any other rave, by miles.

but i do wonder how good it actually was...given that having gone to big raves like that in the 2000s, the techno room was always the one in the smallest room, with the worst sound, most knackered decks, etc.

dj jedi

Post by dj jedi » Mon Sep 16, 2013 4:25 pm

I saw the Technodrome many times, but only in passing. It's never been my cup of tea to be honest. It was always tiny (compared to the rest of the arenas anyway.)

dj_gyr8
Old Skool Don Daddy
Old Skool Don Daddy

Post by dj_gyr8 » Mon Sep 16, 2013 4:43 pm

Hi,

I played the technodrome, when it was upstairs - really mad kids in there - totally off their faces. Dancing totally out of time to the music. The lighting wasn't very good, the monitors were REALLY loud, and the decks were on a weird thing that was suspended from the ceiling - the needles jumping was a real problem, oh and Mark E G throwing up on the decks didn't help!

Having said that, it was defo the best gabba event on that side of the country. Nothing beats the Wales and West Coast gabba events!

phil
Old Skool Don Daddy
Old Skool Don Daddy

Post by phil » Mon Sep 16, 2013 4:51 pm

my mate woolgar would spend his whole night in the technodrome. i never even bothered with it as im not into nose bleeds so i kept clear and by that time was solely there for drum and bass.

Traffic Cone

Post by Traffic Cone » Mon Sep 16, 2013 6:06 pm

dj_gyr8 wrote:Hi,

I played the technodrome, when it was upstairs - really mad kids in there - totally off their faces. Dancing totally out of time to the music. The lighting wasn't very good, the monitors were REALLY loud, and the decks were on a weird thing that was suspended from the ceiling - the needles jumping was a real problem, oh and Mark E G throwing up on the decks didn't help!

Having said that, it was defo the best gabba event on that side of the country. Nothing beats the Wales and West Coast gabba events!
i know you're going to ignore this but fuck it i'll bite. go on then, who did you play the Technodrome as? and what did you play? and when? you must have been on the tape pack. i'm intrigued, i've listened to so many of those tapes i must have heard one of you.

and when did it move to Wales or the West coast?

come on you need to put more effort into lying than that :D

smeagol
Old Skool Don Daddy
Old Skool Don Daddy

Post by smeagol » Mon Sep 16, 2013 6:14 pm

went to helter skelter - keepin fire burnin ocotber 1995 and it was immense-
spent 2 hours in technodrome and it was fookin hottest ive ever been! even my nuts were wet
great raves

rage
Old Skool Don Daddy
Old Skool Don Daddy

Post by rage » Mon Sep 16, 2013 6:43 pm

They were awesome. Had many amazing nights at V7 Saxon Gate!

smeagol
Old Skool Don Daddy
Old Skool Don Daddy

Post by smeagol » Mon Sep 16, 2013 6:51 pm

walking up that motorway with a can of stella and a joint , looking forward to the night ahead , mustve walked up v7 saxon street 100 times! mustve peed on every tree and bush along the way!