100 greatest hardcore trunes ever!

Old Skool chat, tune discussions.
No tape packs or mix tape posts in the forum please!
dj jedi

Re: 100 greatest hardcore trunes ever!

Post by dj jedi » Wed Mar 27, 2013 11:56 am

As usual I'm surprised some of you think that any top 100 is going to be full of 50 copy only white labels :lol: A 'top 100' is going to consist of the most POPULAR tracks, which are obviously going to be the most successful ones.

I appreciate most of you would probably prefer the 'top 100 worst selling hardcore records of all time' but it wouldn't be a true representation of what was popular, and would be full of crap tunes (even if some of the are worth a lot.)

Nits
Old Skool Master
Old Skool Master

Post by Nits » Wed Mar 27, 2013 12:37 pm

It fails in the "popular" category though IMO. Wasn't Baby D - Let Me Be Your Fantasy the tune which sold the most copies (it charted very high IIRC), yet it hasn't made it into the top 100 here.

Whilst I agree, they are mostly good tunes that were anthems BITD, and I own virtually all of them, I'd say compared to many other tunes out there, most of them don't fall into the "great" category either, and I think most here would agree.

To me, it just looks like a random selection of mostly overplayed tunes :D

RonWellsJS
Oldskool Raver
Oldskool Raver

Post by RonWellsJS » Tue Apr 02, 2013 8:06 pm

Elusive9T2 wrote:I'm sorry but Energy Flash is not a hardcore record
I think I can accept it as Hardcore as it's (for me) quite an important tune that laid some of the paving for taking us in that direction.

But I do agree Elusive9T2 that it doesn't fit the exact blueprint for how 'Old Skool' hardcore is defined these days.

I'm more than happy to say however that I love this record.

;-)

R

RonWellsJS
Oldskool Raver
Oldskool Raver

Post by RonWellsJS » Tue Apr 02, 2013 8:11 pm

smeagol wrote:arrgghhh!imagine having to listen to this lot mixed up

http://rateyourmusic.com/list/TheScient ... core_tunes
Christ, I've just looked and there's some proper vile cheese in there. Has this fella ever been to a proper underground rave, where the subs rearrange your internal organs and it's raining with sweat?

retrospect
Oldskool Raver
Oldskool Raver

Post by retrospect » Tue Apr 02, 2013 9:20 pm

I'd say Energy Flash was made to be a techno track, it came out on Derrick Mays Transmat Records after all, which along with KMS & Metroplex pretty much defined the techno sound 1985 - 1990. However it was a massive hit on our scene wasnt it? Hardcore was always a mix of styles to me. Pretty good choice for no. 1 i'd say. Some of the rest of the list is a bit odd though - James Brown is dead at no. 8 & Raving Im Raving - if your gonna include the popular side of stuff why no Let me be your fantasy. And as Ron's here, they could of thrown Trumpton in! (Remix on the other sides still a great bit of cheese though)

retrospect
Oldskool Raver
Oldskool Raver

Post by retrospect » Tue Apr 02, 2013 11:17 pm

retrospect wrote:(Remix on the other sides still a great bit of cheese though)
Just to clarify, that wasn't meant to be an insult! Always bare in mind that whenever addressing you I'm doing my level best not to come across like a screaming old lady at a Donnie Osmond concert

champion puffa
The Messiah of the 21st Century
The Messiah of the 21st Century

Post by champion puffa » Wed Apr 03, 2013 6:47 am

retrospect wrote:I'd say Energy Flash was made to be a techno track, it came out on Derrick Mays Transmat Records after all, which along with KMS & Metroplex pretty much defined the techno sound 1985 - 1990. However it was a massive hit on our scene wasnt it?

I'm pretty sure Joey Beltram said in an interview alot of this forum watched last year on TV that Energy Flash , if anything, was made to be a 'house' track ... other people defined it as a 'techno' track.

I'm sure that program he quotes this is on youtube.... maybe someone can remember it?

retrospect wrote:Hardcore was always a mix of styles to me.
IMO raving was all about it from the early days of Acid House raves untill about late '91 early '92 of Hardcore Dance Music when it started getting mainstream and popular..... I have plenty of self recorded pirate radio tape recordings and sets from Camden Palace, the Rocket, hippodrome to show this ;)

RonWellsJS
Oldskool Raver
Oldskool Raver

Post by RonWellsJS » Wed Apr 03, 2013 8:15 am

retrospect wrote:
retrospect wrote:(Remix on the other sides still a great bit of cheese though)
Just to clarify, that wasn't meant to be an insult! Always bare in mind that whenever addressing you I'm doing my level best not to come across like a screaming old lady at a Donnie Osmond concert
I doesn't matter mate, it IS cheese anyway, it was meant to be cheese. I needed to climb up from the basement for some extra cash.

Great music is the same as great wine... it ages well... and for that reason (plus the fact it was made purely for money) Trumpton does not belong in there - but then neither do a large proportion of the others.

;-)
Last edited by RonWellsJS on Wed Apr 03, 2013 8:40 am, edited 3 times in total.

RonWellsJS
Oldskool Raver
Oldskool Raver

Post by RonWellsJS » Wed Apr 03, 2013 8:25 am

retrospect wrote:Hardcore was always a mix of styles to me.
I agree with this, it started with 'House' and then got over fragmented.

We used to call the heavier acid house tracks in 1987 hardcore (on an individual basis), but Hardcore as a genre wasn't officially named until many years after.

Phuture... We Are Phuture - if Carlsberg made Acid House.

;-)

R

retrospect
Oldskool Raver
Oldskool Raver

Post by retrospect » Thu Apr 04, 2013 3:12 am

RonWellsJS wrote: I doesn't matter mate, it IS cheese anyway, it was meant to be cheese. I needed to climb up from the basement for some extra cash.

Trumpton does not belong in there
To be honest, I doubt Trumpton would make any of the members of this sites top 100!
Wouldn't make mine anyway. But this would, quite easily:

Very Smooth remix ;)

eazyflow
Old Skool Don Daddy
Old Skool Don Daddy

Post by eazyflow » Thu Apr 04, 2013 9:07 am

retrospect wrote:
RonWellsJS wrote: I doesn't matter mate, it IS cheese anyway, it was meant to be cheese. I needed to climb up from the basement for some extra cash.

Trumpton does not belong in there
To be honest, I doubt Trumpton would make any of the members of this sites top 100!
Wouldn't make mine anyway. But this would, quite easily:

Very Smooth remix ;)

Agreed :)

Speaking of which, does anyone remember the unreleased version of 'Out' which Ratty used to play early '94 time? Very basement-esque... like a cross between the Underdog release and the remix above. skip to 42:19 on this mix:

It's tracklisted as the original, but it definately isn't.

Perhaps Ron could shed some light on it?... ;)

RonWellsJS
Oldskool Raver
Oldskool Raver

Post by RonWellsJS » Thu Apr 04, 2013 1:02 pm

Not sure about that Ratty version of Out, we may have done a mix for him, it does sound like it was done at Sound Entity but I can't be sure.

RonWellsJS
Oldskool Raver
Oldskool Raver

Post by RonWellsJS » Thu Apr 04, 2013 1:04 pm

retrospect wrote:
That's why this is pretty much the only forum I regularly visit.

;-)

Matt Clarke
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Matt Clarke » Sat Apr 06, 2013 8:25 am

retrospect wrote:
The Trumpton Remix version makes my list (and would be pretty high up) but I like old skool for the good feeling and the memories of being out and having a fun time.

I've got about 70% of those tune on the list.

dj jedi

Post by dj jedi » Sat Apr 06, 2013 8:28 am

Matt Clarke wrote:The Trumpton Remix version makes my list (and would be pretty high up) but I like old skool for the good feeling and the memories of being out and having a fun time.
Agreed, there's nothing cheesey about the I Feel The Heat version, it's just like any other 92 piano tune. One of the better produced ones too.