Probably a yes but have you ever killed 1 of your record(s)?

Old Skool chat, tune discussions.
No tape packs or mix tape posts in the forum please!
squatski
Old Skool Master
Old Skool Master

Probably a yes but have you ever killed 1 of your record(s)?

Post by squatski » Tue Aug 14, 2012 11:53 pm

Pulled out my copy of 2 bad mice - 4 bad remixes to found out there was a big massive scratch vertically down the record. Not even sure how it happened! completly gutted. Wasn't there before so I must of done it my self.

Anyone else?

Backtrax
New User
New User

Re: Probably a yes but have you ever killed 1 of your record

Post by Backtrax » Wed Aug 15, 2012 8:53 am

Pulled out my copy of Agent Orange- Sounds flakey to me, to find a huge triangular shaped piece of vinyl missing from the edge. No clue how it happened and not to pleased to find it. Can still get away with it, but gutted.

pinhead1000
Old Skool Master
Old Skool Master

Post by pinhead1000 » Wed Aug 15, 2012 9:12 am

yeah i sat on my copy of dragon fly - visions of rage about 7 years ago and snapped it i had to gaffa tape the remix side up as i never played that side until i could find another copy of it wernt pleased at all

LOON-E
Old Skool Don Daddy
Old Skool Don Daddy

Post by LOON-E » Wed Aug 15, 2012 9:43 am

Got 2 or three tunes where 1 of the tracks are unplayable due to hot rocks landing on em mid mix :( the good old days of smoking behind the decks in clubs

LOON-E

extreme
Old Skool Master
Old Skool Master

Post by extreme » Wed Aug 15, 2012 10:09 am

Not my Record but - Playing on a Pirate radio Station another DJ had done a bad mix with Low Noise Block - Rave in your bedroom, next thing he's on the 10th floor balcony & he throws it like a Frisbee - he got some good distance on it & it hit the floor in a million pieces.

those were the days :)

ian saunders
Old Skool Don Daddy
Old Skool Don Daddy

Post by ian saunders » Wed Aug 15, 2012 11:32 am

I've got a seriously warped copy of Remarc - Sound Murderer, but that's about it.

dj_gyr8
Old Skool Don Daddy
Old Skool Don Daddy

Post by dj_gyr8 » Wed Aug 15, 2012 12:37 pm

Hi,

Dropped Foul Play Vol 1 on the stage and it cracked in 2, but the label held it together! Weirdly it was still playable!!!

Also, when I finished a set, the next DJ on literally threw my last vinyl at me (actually a dubplate), which ended up on the floor - if you ain't dropped a dubplate, I suggest you NEVER do, not pretty.

Traffic Cone
The Messiah of the 21st Century
The Messiah of the 21st Century

Post by Traffic Cone » Wed Aug 15, 2012 7:00 pm

i was annoyed that i ruined a nice copy of Malice #1 by not noticing it was on my bed when i left my laptop on top of it.

but even more when i came back from work on a boiling sunny day to realise i'd left a small pile of tunes on my windowsill in the glare of the sun. wasn't too worried cos it'd just been a few fucked ones i'd left separate...till i noticed that one of them was a rare Deathchant worth £25-30. irritatingly it was the only one damaged - very warped, and it then broke in my hands :/

Managed to get the Deathchant again in a bulk deal dead cheap though! and just checked Discogs for the Malice, it's going for £3 now! Wsa a £15 tune when i ruined it.

MikeW
He never locked his car door
He never locked his car door

Post by MikeW » Wed Aug 15, 2012 7:51 pm

dj_gyr8 wrote: if you ain't dropped a dubplate, I suggest you NEVER do, not pretty.
Why's that? They're made of solid metal so pretty unbreakable.

rage
Old Skool Don Daddy
Old Skool Don Daddy

Post by rage » Wed Aug 15, 2012 7:55 pm

Yes I dropped a copy of this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c8xTmpZN ... ata_player

It was on that nasty wafer thin vinyl that Vinyl Distribution used for years (how terrible is that vinyl?! Its so annoying, without an outer lip on the record even the most carefully looked after tunes end up all marked up!) It hit the corner of my record box and put a split in it. Luckily the good guys in Basement hooked me up with another copy.

The drums in that tune go f*cking nuts at some point!

I also viciously savaged my copy of lemon d flashback (my first ever Hardcore record) I heard a bukem set where he spun a dub plate and the mad crackle on the intro sounded so dope, as a dumb 15 year old I attempted to create the effect with a pin. Needles to say it didn't work.

AtomSmasher
Old Skool Master
Old Skool Master

Post by AtomSmasher » Thu Aug 16, 2012 8:58 am

My mate killed 2 of mine back in the summer of 92 - i think i'd literally listened to them once:

'Killer Mummy' - The Psychopaths
'You Think Its Over Now' - D.E.A

He used to borrow my tunes off of me when i bought them so he could tape them: These 2 he borrowed and left on the parcel shelf of his car - in the middle of summer. Twat.
Both warped to buggery -i tried fixing them with a combination of heavy book/airing cupboard.
Needless to say that it failed!
Other than that i've been fairly fortunate, except scratches being put in the start of records by amateurish attempts at emulating Hype : 'Higher' by 4-Mega being one example.
Oh - and another mate dropped an amp on The Helicopter Tune whilst it was on the platter.......

dj jedi

Post by dj jedi » Thu Aug 16, 2012 10:05 am

I've smashed many records in my time, I am the first to admit I have a bad temper! Records flying out of the window after buggering up a mix was a common sight :oops:

Also anything I bought before about 1998 is completely fucked, I never used to put them back in the sleeves so they look like they've been ice skated on :oops:

nebkins
Old Skool Don Daddy
Old Skool Don Daddy

Post by nebkins » Thu Aug 16, 2012 2:16 pm

Me and my mates used to frisbee the crap blind buys we used to get in the MVE's when we got home and listened to them and they were chud. Must have smashed in excess of 500 tunes like that.

yell-o-phase
Old Skool Master
Old Skool Master

Post by yell-o-phase » Sat Aug 18, 2012 2:15 pm

here's what I managed to do when tried to fix a small warp.. :shock:

https://www.facebook.com/YellOPhase#!/p ... =1&theater

stuz74
Regular
Regular

Post by stuz74 » Sat Aug 18, 2012 5:00 pm

I've scratched a few records by either dropping them down the back of a radiator - Pure Science & Nut Nut's 'Space Oddity' and 'We Can Make It' was the first casualty this way. I buggered up DJ Hype's 'Dawn Of The Fever' from the 'Roll The Beats EP' by dropping the record on the spindle.

But my most gutting vinyl wreckage was Pascal & Sponge's 'Underground Feeling (Remix 2)' where I scraped the needle across the end of the midsection leaving a huge 'clicking' gouge through the vinyl. Is one of my absolute favourite oldskool tunes. I did however manage to copy and paste an entire un-knackered part of the tune to save the tune for ripping purposes, but it still doesn't make up for having my pristine copy. :(

Have bought more buggered copies of records from Discogs than I have knackered by my own hand. Near Mint my arse!!!!