ANY NEW REPRESSES PLANNED?

Old Skool chat, tune discussions.
No tape packs or mix tape posts in the forum please!
pineappletribe
Old Skool Don Daddy
Old Skool Don Daddy

Re: ANY NEW REPRESSES PLANNED?

Post by pineappletribe » Thu Jun 07, 2012 8:32 pm

melakaraya wrote:
pineappletribe wrote:Ha -> does that make you lot the 3 dragons?! :D

Good work the lot of ya ;) =D>
Now look what you've done Glenn, you've got us all retiring within six hours of each other! :lol:
I honestly thought my idea was a winner! :lol: I'm not entirely sure which one of you is Deborah Meadon though?!

what evil lurks
Old Skool Master
Old Skool Master

Post by what evil lurks » Fri Jun 08, 2012 9:38 am

It's a shame to read all this but I understand all of you on this regard. Now we are in another era, people don't want to investigate about music anymore andnobody seems to want a record collection at home, this is a digital era, nothing is tangible and there's a whole generation of young people who has never paid for music so they understand it to be free.

I really appreaciate all your incredible work during the last few years and it might be a bit late but I've just added another Sublogic Tune (Essence Of Aura Vol 2) to my collection right now!

dj_gyr8
Old Skool Don Daddy
Old Skool Don Daddy

Post by dj_gyr8 » Fri Jun 08, 2012 12:52 pm

Hi,

I don't blame the bootleggers, I blame the people who buy them!

I never buy bootlegs, but I know SOOOO many ppl who are more than willing to buy them.

In reality all the bootleggers are doing is supplying the demand.

I hate to say this, but it makes perfect sense. It no different than all the chavs buying knock-off clothes from the market.

You gotta remember the sort of ppl who buy this music, its more chav than posh...

PS: I've had to decide against ALL the represses I could have put out, simply due to cost...

nebkins
Old Skool Don Daddy
Old Skool Don Daddy

Post by nebkins » Fri Jun 08, 2012 1:17 pm

If cash is the issue why not pass it on to someone who can afford to put the records out just to get them out and not really make a profit out of them?

stuz74
Regular
Regular

Post by stuz74 » Fri Jun 08, 2012 8:11 pm

It must be very disheartening to have all these many issues going against all of you vinyl repressers, and it's sad to hear that you are having difficulty selling some of your stock on top of all the other crap associated. So the biggest respects to all of you who have done the busywork to keep us stocked with elusive vinyl releases.

I have picked up some unbelievably awesome vinyl releases from the holy trinity of official repressess, 7th Storey Projects, Ninety Two Retro & Sublogic Recordings and will continue to buy any future releases for as long as I love oldskool hadcore/jungle (and I'm on my 18th year of collecting vinyl). Physical copies will always triumph over digital and heavyweight official repressess will always beat ropey MP3 presses hands down.

dubplate records
Old Skool Don Daddy
Old Skool Don Daddy

Post by dubplate records » Fri Jun 08, 2012 8:44 pm

I've had a certain repress pipped from me by someone else :(
not intentionally tho,he was just doing his own thing
I even bought a copy and he is unaware of it
he did it differently to how I was gonna do it
and it's possible I might still go ahead
because the tunes still wanted and his repress has now sold out
legit or booty but the quality would be good

the 2nd I may release would be an out n out booty (because I know the artist wont repress)
again at highest quality
and because there is demand
hmmm,we shall see :)

silky
Oldskool Raver
Oldskool Raver

Post by silky » Fri Jun 08, 2012 10:31 pm

It actually hurts me to read that some of the artists do not want to be associated with this type of music any more, where would 90% of them be today if it wasn't for this scene.

Makes me feel totally gutted. I love my hardcore, I don't see it as a childish, evil form of music, everything is expressive in its own right, if you love it, its good music! Im sure you would all agree.

pete.devnull
Old Skool Master
Old Skool Master

Post by pete.devnull » Sat Jun 09, 2012 12:41 am

As much as I've happily nabbed straight up represses in the past, I think they aren't as much of a priority/don't make quite as much sense now. As the vinyl market dwindles more and more, it's going to really be down to the more HARDCORE collectors who are fewer in number and prob will be nerdy enough to want the original press anyway. Even the most obscure tunes eventually turn up if you're willing to wait years and years or skip eating for a week or two :) And a lot of the most impossible to find tunes are specifically NOT the ones which would do well on even a strictly limited repress, no matter how good they sound or how much a few dedicated forum heads seem to like them. Hence it's almost more in people's interest to repress something somewhat rare, but still a bit better known and hence sought after, even if it's a lot easier to find relatively than the real obscure stuff. Given how much of an absolute labor of love putting out these records is, it seems like it'd be more gratifying to be putting something out there which quite literally could not be acquired on vinyl otherwise, rather than subsidizing the price of a 40 pound record down to 10. As much as spending loads of cash on a tune sucks, at this point anyone who really really wants a readily available 30 or 40 pound tune should probably just save up and nab it or keep waiting and hoping to eventually find it, instead of expecting Will or Dave to put up a couple thousand pounds up front to to make it cheaper for you :)

As I've told those guys, I'd love to get into releasing or co-releasing unreleased material. I've got plenty of ideas for unreleased tracks I'd love to press, but especially being in the US and not having any working relationships with the artists means I'm likely to get the same runaround that Elusive describes, or actually far worse because it's some random far away person and I can't approach them in person at a gig or offer to bring a dat player over to check out some unreleased old tunes :)

dj jedi

Post by dj jedi » Sun Jun 10, 2012 1:46 pm

I would love to do more, but the sales of the last two releases I did have put me off. Fantazia EP 3 sold out, and I sold about 80% of my Jedi 1 hardcore breaks record, but I've still got quite a few copies of Fantazia EP 4 and nearly half of the Fantazia EP 5 run sitting here. It's not cheap to press vinyl these days, so unless I can sell 75% of the run and break even, it's not worth it unfortunately.

I appreciate charging £9.99 per vinyl seems like a lot, but on a run of 100 you need to sell 75 of them for that price just to cover the pressing cost, not even considering licensing. It's really not easy. Not to mention the weeks of sorting it out and trips to the post office :lol:

So in a nut shell - yes I would do more, if people bought them. But I did 4 last year, and only 2 of them were what I'd consider a success. Having dozens of unsold records sitting in my bedroom is more of an issue for me than losing a bit of money.

dj jedi

Post by dj jedi » Sun Jun 10, 2012 2:15 pm

I think pre-order only releases might be the way forward. I made it quite clear that Fantazia EP 4 wouldn't happen unless enough pre-orders were made to cover the cost, and I did reach that target after a few weeks. There definitely are still people out that (and on here) that buy records, I sold over 50 copies of Fantazia EP 3 in the first 48 hours! It just seems that you have to have 4 killer AND expensive or unreleased tracks for that to happen. People don't seem bothered if it's something they can pick up an original copy of for £20 (which I completely understand, it's only £10 more than the repress.)

Imagine if your Moog record came out 5-10 years ago Dave, originals were selling for £50 and there was a much bigger market, you probably could have pressed more and subsequently be able to sell them for a cheaper unit price. It's a real shame.

Spangle8
Regular
Regular

Post by Spangle8 » Sat Jun 23, 2012 10:41 am

unfortunately on the 9T2 retro front, the moog/jungle muffin i already have, so no purchase from me on that one. I also bought the fantazia release with lookin into the light, i have yet to buy a diff release from 9T2 retro, which i do still want (dave, blue label release double pack).

Im sure sales could be pushed a little more, i quite happy to support any spam within my group on facebook https://www.facebook.com/groups/197053743646276/

Ive been sourcing unreleased stuff myself. I know that Dave Charlesworth may be interested in releasing Guinness Track, which didnt see a release on his own label ADR. He is contactable via facebook. Ive spoken to him about it myself, so i feel u would get a reply from him if anyone is interested. I know of at least 5 people myself that would love to see this on vinyl.

renegadegenius
Nicolas Parsons
Nicolas Parsons
Location: Bat Beat Vol 2 - It's Still Here!!!! (as are a few copies of Vol 1)

Post by renegadegenius » Sat Jun 23, 2012 1:00 pm

Same goes for 'new' old skool.
See the 2x 12" I'm helping Yell-o-phase sell.
Couple of years back they would have sold out very quickly as they're proper old skool sounding tracks.
Even now I thought they'd sell out within a couple of weeks given the quality of the tunes, but nope - still got a load here & I've only been sent 1 half of what was pressed!

You always get people saying they don't want to buy mp3s & only want vinyl - sure you get the regulars that buy it, but where's the rest?

I wanted to put another vinyl out with some of my bits on, but not going to bother now. I know Gaffer still wants to, so we'll see how that goes, but for me, I can't afford to put £500+ behind a 100 press vinyl run & sell 20 copies...

yell-o-phase
Old Skool Master
Old Skool Master

Post by yell-o-phase » Sat Jun 23, 2012 3:09 pm

renegadegenius wrote:Same goes for 'new' old skool.
See the 2x 12" I'm helping Yell-o-phase sell.
Couple of years back they would have sold out very quickly as they're proper old skool sounding tracks.
Even now I thought they'd sell out within a couple of weeks given the quality of the tunes, but nope - still got a load here & I've only been sent 1 half of what was pressed!

You always get people saying they don't want to buy mp3s & only want vinyl - sure you get the regulars that buy it, but where's the rest?

I wanted to put another vinyl out with some of my bits on, but not going to bother now. I know Gaffer still wants to, so we'll see how that goes, but for me, I can't afford to put £500+ behind a 100 press vinyl run & sell 20 copies...
And I have to admit, RG, that you have done more than you know for helping me distributing those KHK EPs.. Very grateful! =D>
Well.. I'm not so worried for the sales,though.. Once the word is spreading out, they are same as gone.. Those who are slow, will be regretting for not getting their copies sooner, cause there will be no repressings, and its limited edition, and without sounding too cocky, they will be sought after EPS in 2-3 years, after there's KHK-010 or 11 around.. :-D
So, all in all, I'm not worried.. Vinyl's comeback takes it's time.. 8)

Oh.. By the way.. Here's one new tune that was aired today in NU-RAVE radio..

http://soundcloud.com/yop-2-1/yell-o-phase-doomed-i-say

NJOY!!!

rebeast
Oldskool Raver
Oldskool Raver

Post by rebeast » Sat Jun 23, 2012 9:10 pm

I am very glad that there are still vinyl enthusiasts, this story can not end this way.
Vinyl is a synonym for oldskool.
Greet and invite you to listen to the titles of Polish producers in Tornado Records.
http://www.discogs.com/Base-Club-RIP-Da ... ter/434656

TOR011 soon.

renegadegenius
Nicolas Parsons
Nicolas Parsons
Location: Bat Beat Vol 2 - It's Still Here!!!! (as are a few copies of Vol 1)

Post by renegadegenius » Sun Jun 24, 2012 6:57 am

rebeast wrote:this story can not end this way.
Vinyl is a synonym for oldskool.
If no one aside from the usual 20ish people buy it, then there is no point putting it out.

Pressing vinyl is not cheap.
Getting it ready is very time consuming.
Not selling even enough to cover even the pressing costs will mean no more getting done as people can't afford to throw money away, especially these days.

More record shops & possibly online ones will start to disappear as well as it costs money to keep shops open.

Not covering costs = no more vinyl getting pressed
No more vinyl = shops won't have stock
No stock = shops not able to keep open as nothing to sell

We'll then have people asking why are all the shops closing!