ANY NEW REPRESSES PLANNED?

Old Skool chat, tune discussions.
No tape packs or mix tape posts in the forum please!
pineappletribe
Old Skool Don Daddy
Old Skool Don Daddy

ANY NEW REPRESSES PLANNED?

Post by pineappletribe » Thu Jun 07, 2012 9:26 am

Well.... just thought I'd ask :D ;)

http://www.discogs.com/lists/The-Top-10 ... -Tunes/581 -> for inspiration... ;)

melakaraya
Oldskool Raver
Oldskool Raver

Re: ANY NEW REPRESSES PLANNED?

Post by melakaraya » Thu Jun 07, 2012 11:30 am

pineappletribe wrote:Well.... just thought I'd ask :D ;)

http://www.discogs.com/lists/The-Top-10 ... -Tunes/581 -> for inspiration... ;)
I've already done number one ;)

Now for the other 99, I'll be doing them in order, from 2-100, using the ropiest MP3's I can find.

Seriously, you've no idea how many of that list I've tried to sort, some I've come closer to than others. Very, very frustrating :evil:

I've got a couple of releases planned for the next few months, NOT represses, but original unreleased tunes. I've all but given up on the repress lark for now.

Nice :D

pineappletribe
Old Skool Don Daddy
Old Skool Don Daddy

Post by pineappletribe » Thu Jun 07, 2012 11:35 am

:D :D :D

Yeah - there's quite a few on that list i'd like to see!!!!

PCP ep / 2 Go Mad In Boscaland / K-Groove -> that'll do for starters!

& this:
http://www.discogs.com/Unknown-Artist-U ... ase/379393

pineappletribe
Old Skool Don Daddy
Old Skool Don Daddy

Post by pineappletribe » Thu Jun 07, 2012 11:38 am

melakaraya wrote: I've got a couple of releases planned for the next few months, NOT represses, but original unreleased tunes. I've all but given up on the repress lark for now.
Noted sir! :D

melakaraya
Oldskool Raver
Oldskool Raver

Post by melakaraya » Thu Jun 07, 2012 11:46 am

pineappletribe wrote:
melakaraya wrote: I've got a couple of releases planned for the next few months, NOT represses, but original unreleased tunes. I've all but given up on the repress lark for now.
Noted sir! :D
Sorry, didn't mean to shout :oops: :lol:

pineappletribe
Old Skool Don Daddy
Old Skool Don Daddy

Post by pineappletribe » Thu Jun 07, 2012 12:05 pm

What is all this quitting talk?! :D :oops:

melakaraya
Oldskool Raver
Oldskool Raver

Post by melakaraya » Thu Jun 07, 2012 12:31 pm

pineappletribe wrote:What is all this quitting talk?! :D :oops:
Well, from my perspective, the reasons are manifold.

I generally make contact first with an artist via email or private message on social networks etc. Recently I've found that:

*I get no reply, not even a courtesy email to say "thanks, but no thanks". This is the most common reason, and the most frustrating too. I don't expect people to immediately want to re-release their ancient old material just cause I wave a few hundred quid under their noses, but a reply to explain wouldn't hurt, surely?

*The DAT's or digital copies fit for purpose no longer exist (that old chestnut)

*If you can engage the artist and get them interested, their license demands are often ridiculously excessive, normally because they are generally out of touch with the state of the music market, especially vinyl. The stock response seems to be "do people still buy vinyl then?"

*When they get the idea that there night be a bit of money in it, they then decide that they'll do it themselves, of course, they never do :(

I just feel I'm treading the same old ground now, chasing people for replies that are never forthcoming, I've got better things to do with my time.

The bottom line is, I still want to release music, and release it on VINYL, because I love doing it. If I have to explore other avenues, then so be it, and I don't give a f*ck what anyone says ;) :lol: :D
Last edited by melakaraya on Thu Jun 07, 2012 12:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

pineappletribe
Old Skool Don Daddy
Old Skool Don Daddy

Post by pineappletribe » Thu Jun 07, 2012 12:35 pm

I was just playing Devils' advocate :D yeah - i totally understand your frustrations... not to mention the grief Elusive got during several repress efforts too!

All these represses are both treasured and appreciated though :D hence the optimistic thread.

You gotta love pineapples :lol: ;)

melakaraya
Oldskool Raver
Oldskool Raver

Post by melakaraya » Thu Jun 07, 2012 12:40 pm

pineappletribe wrote:I was just playing Devils' advocate :D yeah - i totally understand your frustrations... not to mention the grief Elusive got during several repress efforts too!

All these represses are both treasured and appreciated though :D hence the optimistic thread.

You gotta love pineapples :lol: ;)
:lol: I know Glenn, I was just generally venting spleen, not directed at you of course mate :D

pineappletribe
Old Skool Don Daddy
Old Skool Don Daddy

Post by pineappletribe » Thu Jun 07, 2012 12:57 pm

When i win the lottery, we will all have 5 copies each of the Top100 ;)

dj_gyr8
Old Skool Don Daddy
Old Skool Don Daddy

Post by dj_gyr8 » Thu Jun 07, 2012 1:44 pm

Hi,

I had 2 represses lined up myself, but both I chose to cancel for exactly the same reason...

Once the original artist had discovered there is still a huge market for oldskool, they wanted a fairly high fee, which meant I'd have to have charge approx £20 per vinyl to cover costs, which then means very little sales.

I explained it would be a limited release purely for the DJ's both no luck...

Funny how all these artists would rather not have their track repressed at all, than agree a lower fee.

Surely it is worth it for them, as it is free PR and builds their name again.

I have found a few artists who have moved away from our music scene, and specifically do not want their name associated with our music...

I even have some tracks in top quality format, but cannot repress as the artists says no...

melakaraya
Oldskool Raver
Oldskool Raver

Post by melakaraya » Thu Jun 07, 2012 1:51 pm

dj_gyr8 wrote:I have found a few artists who have moved away from our music scene, and specifically do not want their name associated with our music...
This is another reason I forgot to add to my rants list, I've had that reason from a few artists...really sad.
Elusive9T2 wrote:Too add to my post, I know we've had massive support on this site & I want to thank you all for that personally

Simon I'll ring you over the next few days mate
I second that, if it weren't for the level of support I've received on here (and other sites) I wouldn't have bothered at all.

Dave, give me a shout when you can mate :)

will2003
He never locked his car door
He never locked his car door

Post by will2003 » Thu Jun 07, 2012 6:54 pm

Agreed with pretty much everything said in this thread so far.

Part of me would really like to do two more SLRV releases, and one more SLRDUB release - that would mean I'd done 25 releases in total on vinyl and seems like a nice round number to stop at.

But unless I can find three guaranteed sellers, I doubt I'll even do that. The amount of bootlegging going on is getting stupid now anyway, I do have a couple of potentially superb represses / unreleased bits in the pipeline, but I'm not going to even mention what they are (the represses, at least) as someone will probably just bootleg them and they'll be on Ebay etc.

Been great fun doing the label though, and as also said in this thread it's really only because of the people on here and their support with purchases and general appreciation of what I've been doing with the label that has made it worthwhile at all so yeah - many, many thanks to the B2VOS people over the years :D :D :D

I won't bore anyone with figures, but there is hardly anything to be made doing these any more when you're lucky to sell 150 copies when the dust settles. Makes me all the more annoyed to think how much the bootleggers make without having to pay licence fees or use proper engineers, mastering, pressing plants etc :evil:

Doing a release is a load of hard work, far more than most people ever quite understand and the irony of it all is that you can make far more money dealing in old vinyl in a matter of a week or two than you can doing legit represses now :(

And for that reason, I'm (almost) out too :lol:

pineappletribe
Old Skool Don Daddy
Old Skool Don Daddy

Post by pineappletribe » Thu Jun 07, 2012 8:12 pm

Ha -> does that make you lot the 3 dragons?! :D

Good work the lot of ya ;) =D>

melakaraya
Oldskool Raver
Oldskool Raver

Post by melakaraya » Thu Jun 07, 2012 8:25 pm

pineappletribe wrote:Ha -> does that make you lot the 3 dragons?! :D

Good work the lot of ya ;) =D>
Now look what you've done Glenn, you've got us all retiring within six hours of each other! :lol: