How To Squander Your Potential

Old Skool chat, tune discussions.
No tape packs or mix tape posts in the forum please!
vinyljustice
Regular
Regular

Re: How To Squander Your Potential

Post by vinyljustice » Sat Feb 18, 2012 9:18 am

Yeah it was a great read, i didn't quite get the Jimmy Jay, thing though? has he actaully quit altogether and never coming back to the uk?

ian saunders
Old Skool Don Daddy
Old Skool Don Daddy

Post by ian saunders » Sat Feb 18, 2012 4:36 pm

vinyljustice wrote:Yeah it was a great read, i didn't quite get the Jimmy Jay, thing though? has he actaully quit altogether and never coming back to the uk?
Jimmy J moved to Spain in about 99-00. Completely quit the scene, although i think he played once last year at History Of Hardcore.

Vinyl Conflict
Oldskool Raver
Oldskool Raver

Post by Vinyl Conflict » Sat Feb 18, 2012 9:30 pm

Absolutely loved it :) Great read =D> You must go and buy this book! Thanks Chris.

deebom
Oldskool Raver
Oldskool Raver

Post by deebom » Sat Feb 25, 2012 10:07 am

Looks like a good read. As others have mentioned, there doesnt seem to be a any decent books about the scene in the old days.
I have a small tale of wasted opportunity. I'll tell it here if you dont mind?

Around 93ish, my good friend Paul started to make some tunes with another friend called Steve C. Steve was good mates with a bloke called Brian (DJ Monita.) Brian ran a label called Skelleton Recordings (You may remember it.) Steve and Brian made some orsum tunes on Skelleton. (The sky blue one being my favorite.) Things were going well and they made some real outthere stuff, far too advanced for the day really. However, they came up with something that wasnt too avent garde and decided to release it. It was called R.E.A.L and the B side was called 'MINA' (who is Pauls sister.)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lYda_yQlsqc
It was released on a purple Skelleton. It was still a bit 'outthere' and didnt really sell, but it was a start. I remember Groovrider playing it on Kiss. Things were good, Paul was at the studio daily, always bringing new stuff home for us to listen to. He was making contacts in the business and we were getting to meet some real big names such as Bukem, Hype, Micky Finn. The white labels and promos were flowing into my record box.(I actualy made a tape at Micky finns house using his tunes.) We were going out raving with the likes of Roni Size, DJ Die and Krust. Guest list to a lot of places ect. Then somewhere Paul managed to meet DJ Rap (He claimed to be romanticly involved with her, but that was probably bollocks.) Anyway, Rap liked the stuff him and Steve were producing and asked them to make something to release on her Propa Talent label. The result was 'Your Mind'
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZYQoQ7Sp5P4
It wasnt bad. The Rap mix on the B side was a lot better. It seemed that Paul was getting somewhere with music and it was a real possibility that we could all get in on the act and maybe start to make a name for ourselves. The tune was well recieved and there were plans for Rap to release some of Paul and Steves back catalogue. Paul had played Rap a couple of bits and bobs that I had put together on my old S2000 and Atari, and he claimed that she had liked it and was interested in getting some plates pressed to use in her sets.
Than it all fell apart. Paul had a heroin problem and had done since he was 14 years old. He'd been off and on it for years, his recent marriage was falling apart (He'd somehow hidden his drug problems from his wife.) He got back on the smack and well, started behaving like a smackhead. (Borrowing 3 crates of tunes from me to play somewhere and selling them to a record shop in Dover.) Steve and Brian fucked him off. Brian closed Skelleton for some reason and that was the end of that sadly. I havnt seen Paul for years now. The last time was around 2001ish when he turned up a mates house randomly, fucked out of his nut and asking for money. I gave him my number and a score, he left promising to keep in touch, but he never did.
Sorry to ramble on, i've never really mentioned any of this to anyone because no one would be interested, execpt maybe you lot.
It's probably the only regret I have, not taking advantage of the opportunity that was there at the time. Brian said I could continue Skelleton if I wanted, but I had neither the funds or the knowledge to run a record label.

dj_yt
Old Skool Master
Old Skool Master

Post by dj_yt » Sat Feb 25, 2012 11:03 am

A sad end to the tale. But the music lives on.

deebom
Oldskool Raver
Oldskool Raver

Post by deebom » Sat Feb 25, 2012 11:26 am

True. Especialy in the case of R.E.A.L, because there are about 200 copies sitting in my mates cellar. :-)

ian saunders
Old Skool Don Daddy
Old Skool Don Daddy

Post by ian saunders » Sun Feb 26, 2012 1:05 pm

Great story, and really sad about your mate Paul. All these stories that people will never hear. Even a book of people reminiscing would be a good read.

Traffic Cone
The Messiah of the 21st Century

Post by Traffic Cone » Sun Feb 26, 2012 6:59 pm

i think i must be the only person who really likes that ramos & supreme remix. its quite mellow for a track of that nature and i find a good deal of their other stuff overrated!

i seem to remember after stormtrooper stopped making uk hardcore he came on ush to have a massive go at supreme as well. sounds like a nice guy!

i don't think kniteforce stuff was THAT unpopular. the jimmy j or force & evolution stuff is on loads of old tapes. the luna c stuff maybe not so much.

tbh though i think some of it, knowing hardcore, is just that from about 95 on most of the big djs, with a few exceptions, just played each others tunes. so even crowd pleasing aside, there's less room for someone not in that loop to really get heard as with other scenes.

also shown by the fact that in europe, like in germany or holland, they were much bigger than the other uk happy labels.

Restless
Old Skool Don Daddy
Old Skool Don Daddy

Post by Restless » Sun Feb 26, 2012 7:02 pm

What happened to ush? That place used to be booming...

Where do all the old ush lot go now then for their daily forum fix?

Traffic Cone

Post by Traffic Cone » Sun Feb 26, 2012 7:08 pm

it used to. then it became shit, and for various reasons kinda died to the point that the owner just turned it off end of last year. someone has set up a new version but when it died there were only a few regulars left so it's still kinda dead. it had little connection to the music really for ages, as more and more the regulars were now just ex-ravers.

was great in its heyday, i have loads of mates who i got to know basically through that site, in 1 way or another. but nothing like that is eternal!

Restless
Old Skool Don Daddy
Old Skool Don Daddy

Post by Restless » Sun Feb 26, 2012 7:23 pm

Gutted.

I used to like going on there and seeing how the scene was still going, thoughts/views etc on it.

ian saunders
Old Skool Don Daddy
Old Skool Don Daddy

Post by ian saunders » Sun Feb 26, 2012 7:40 pm

Restless wrote:Gutted.

I used to like going on there and seeing how the scene was still going, thoughts/views etc on it.
Yeah same here, even though i thought 99.9% of the music was crud i still liked having a read.

eazyflow
Old Skool Don Daddy
Old Skool Don Daddy

Post by eazyflow » Sun Feb 26, 2012 9:06 pm

Traffic Cone wrote:i think i must be the only person who really likes that ramos & supreme remix. its quite mellow for a track of that nature and i find a good deal of their other stuff overrated!
You're not the only one mate :) I think it's excellent.

caspian
Oldskool Raver
Oldskool Raver

Post by caspian » Mon Feb 27, 2012 1:20 am

I have only just started to read Luna C's book but i do think he needs to eleborate more on certain events and issues and less on others, however it is early days for me and i do respect anyone who is willing to take the effort to write a book, humiliate themselves, express their opinions regardless of what others think and open themselves up for criticism.

andrew
Oldskool Raver
Oldskool Raver

Post by andrew » Mon Feb 27, 2012 2:33 pm

eazyflow wrote:
Traffic Cone wrote:i think i must be the only person who really likes that ramos & supreme remix. its quite mellow for a track of that nature and i find a good deal of their other stuff overrated!
You're not the only one mate :) I think it's excellent.
Me too. Much better than the original - and, for that matter, the Vibes & Wishdokta remix of Perfect Dreams on the other side.