How To Squander Your Potential

Old Skool chat, tune discussions.
No tape packs or mix tape posts in the forum please!
User avatar
ian saunders
Old Skool Don Daddy
Old Skool Don Daddy
Posts: 4134
Joined: Tue Mar 11, 2003 7:40 am

How To Squander Your Potential

Post by ian saunders » Tue Feb 14, 2012 6:58 pm

Recieved Luna-C's book through the post today (got the early release promo version) and have already read it.

Really good read, and loads of insights into Smart E's / Suburban Base etc, as well as dissing Ramos & Supreme, Death Becomes Me, Paul Elstak and Danny Breaks (a little)

http://www.kniteforcerevolution.com

User avatar
dreamweave
Old Skool Master
Old Skool Master
Posts: 1363
Joined: Thu May 30, 2002 6:26 pm
Location: Bournemouth
Contact:

Re: How To Squander Your Potential

Post by dreamweave » Tue Feb 14, 2012 7:10 pm

ian saunders wrote:Recieved Luna-C's book through the post today (got the early release promo version) and have already read it.

Really good read, and loads of insights into Smart E's / Suburban Base etc, as well as dissing Ramos & Supreme, Death Becomes Me, Paul Elstak and Danny Breaks (a little)

http://www.kniteforcerevolution.com
Looks excellent, going to get myself an official copy in may, love his early releases and also his Dj sets these days are right up my street.

User avatar
Restless
Old Skool Don Daddy
Old Skool Don Daddy
Posts: 3447
Joined: Sun Aug 14, 2005 4:53 pm

Re: How To Squander Your Potential

Post by Restless » Tue Feb 14, 2012 7:11 pm

What does he say about Ramos & Supreme?

How can i get a copy of the book?

User avatar
ian saunders
Old Skool Don Daddy
Old Skool Don Daddy
Posts: 4134
Joined: Tue Mar 11, 2003 7:40 am

Re: How To Squander Your Potential

Post by ian saunders » Tue Feb 14, 2012 7:18 pm

Restless wrote:What does he say about Ramos & Supreme?

How can i get a copy of the book?
Go to his website and order a copy, proper release is on May 1st, i got one on a pre-order.

Basically they tried to change a deal regarding remix fees after everything had been agreed and demanded money when sleeves etc had been ordered and made. Loads more good stuff and gossip in there though!

User avatar
melakaraya
Oldskool Raver
Oldskool Raver
Posts: 893
Joined: Fri Jan 23, 2009 9:21 pm
Contact:

Re: How To Squander Your Potential

Post by melakaraya » Tue Feb 14, 2012 7:22 pm

Definitely going to grab a copy of this when it comes out - sounds good!

User avatar
ian saunders
Old Skool Don Daddy
Old Skool Don Daddy
Posts: 4134
Joined: Tue Mar 11, 2003 7:40 am

Re: How To Squander Your Potential

Post by ian saunders » Tue Feb 14, 2012 7:34 pm

Sorry actually i'm not sure that you can order it yet, when it goes on sale on 1st May go on the Kniteforce site and there'll be a link to where you can buy it :)

User avatar
alphawave ep
Old Skool Master
Old Skool Master
Posts: 1537
Joined: Fri Oct 23, 2009 1:57 pm
Location: in pub
Contact:

Re: How To Squander Your Potential

Post by alphawave ep » Tue Feb 14, 2012 7:39 pm

need this for sure!!!

User avatar
Vinyl Conflict
Oldskool Raver
Oldskool Raver
Posts: 414
Joined: Tue Dec 07, 2010 4:02 pm
Location: Higher Than The Sun

Re: How To Squander Your Potential

Post by Vinyl Conflict » Tue Feb 14, 2012 9:27 pm

Got mine this morning..haven't started it yet..very brave cover picture :shock: :lol:

User avatar
ian saunders
Old Skool Don Daddy
Old Skool Don Daddy
Posts: 4134
Joined: Tue Mar 11, 2003 7:40 am

Re: How To Squander Your Potential

Post by ian saunders » Tue Feb 14, 2012 9:34 pm

Vinyl Conflict wrote:Got mine this morning..haven't started it yet..very brave cover picture :shock: :lol:
hahah yeah i know, i opened it and my reaction was "WTF???? lol

Not reading it in public now :)

User avatar
dj_gyr8
Old Skool Don Daddy
Old Skool Don Daddy
Posts: 3701
Joined: Wed Jun 04, 2003 3:45 pm
Location: southcoast

Re: How To Squander Your Potential

Post by dj_gyr8 » Wed Feb 15, 2012 1:41 pm

Hi,

Yes, got my copy. I knew the front pic was gonna be OTT, but didn't quite expect that!

There is a lot of old history I already know, but it reads REALLY well. Most 'oldskool' books are written VERY badly, but this is VERY good.

I think it will be available for kindle in April.

Note, the official copies will have a different front cover.

I always though Chris fell out with Supreme because the remix RSR did for him was rubbish?

Kniteforce really was a label for the ppl, so many bedroom jocks had all the releases, yet virtually all releases went unplayed by the top kocks. Was that simply due to the unique sound? Jimmy's influence made the REMIX tracks very playable, but Chris's tracks were often just not crowd pleasers...

User avatar
dj_gyr8
Old Skool Don Daddy
Old Skool Don Daddy
Posts: 3701
Joined: Wed Jun 04, 2003 3:45 pm
Location: southcoast

Re: How To Squander Your Potential

Post by dj_gyr8 » Wed Feb 15, 2012 1:47 pm

AVAILABLE IN ALL GOOD BOOK SHOPS...

Image

User avatar
ian saunders
Old Skool Don Daddy
Old Skool Don Daddy
Posts: 4134
Joined: Tue Mar 11, 2003 7:40 am

Re: How To Squander Your Potential

Post by ian saunders » Wed Feb 15, 2012 3:13 pm

dj_gyr8 wrote:Hi,

Yes, got my copy. I knew the front pic was gonna be OTT, but didn't quite expect that!

There is a lot of old history I already know, but it reads REALLY well. Most 'oldskool' books are written VERY badly, but this is VERY good.

I think it will be available for kindle in April.

Note, the official copies will have a different front cover.

I always though Chris fell out with Supreme because the remix RSR did for him was rubbish?

Kniteforce really was a label for the ppl, so many bedroom jocks had all the releases, yet virtually all releases went unplayed by the top kocks. Was that simply due to the unique sound? Jimmy's influence made the REMIX tracks very playable, but Chris's tracks were often just not crowd pleasers...
Yeah partly cos the remix was rubbish, but also they kinda held him to ransom asking for a fee at the last possible moment when something else had been arranged.

I think the non-Luna C artists on the label made very playable tunes (alk-e-d, Future Primitive, Brisk, Ham, Force & The Evolution) . Chris's own productions as Luna-C were perhaps a little bit more involved. But then i think that there should always be room in hardcore for tunes that perhaps aren't quite as accessable. Plus i never really rated the tunes he did with Jimmy J, they're well made, crowd pleasing, but a bit...standard.

Basically i think Luna-C was kinda like Hyper On Experience, but for the happy era. I.E. Could make bangers, but preferred to make stuff that was a little deeper.

User avatar
gaffer
Old Skool Don Daddy
Old Skool Don Daddy
Posts: 2962
Joined: Sun Oct 30, 2005 1:29 pm
Location: herts, uk

Re: How To Squander Your Potential

Post by gaffer » Wed Feb 15, 2012 5:44 pm

got my copy today, looking forward to reading it!

User avatar
dj_gyr8
Old Skool Don Daddy
Old Skool Don Daddy
Posts: 3701
Joined: Wed Jun 04, 2003 3:45 pm
Location: southcoast

Re: How To Squander Your Potential

Post by dj_gyr8 » Wed Feb 15, 2012 6:28 pm

ian saunders wrote:
dj_gyr8 wrote:Hi,

Yes, got my copy. I knew the front pic was gonna be OTT, but didn't quite expect that!

There is a lot of old history I already know, but it reads REALLY well. Most 'oldskool' books are written VERY badly, but this is VERY good.

I think it will be available for kindle in April.

Note, the official copies will have a different front cover.

I always though Chris fell out with Supreme because the remix RSR did for him was rubbish?

Kniteforce really was a label for the ppl, so many bedroom jocks had all the releases, yet virtually all releases went unplayed by the top kocks. Was that simply due to the unique sound? Jimmy's influence made the REMIX tracks very playable, but Chris's tracks were often just not crowd pleasers...
Yeah partly cos the remix was rubbish, but also they kinda held him to ransom asking for a fee at the last possible moment when something else had been arranged.

I think the non-Luna C artists on the label made very playable tunes (alk-e-d, Future Primitive, Brisk, Ham, Force & The Evolution) . Chris's own productions as Luna-C were perhaps a little bit more involved. But then i think that there should always be room in hardcore for tunes that perhaps aren't quite as accessable. Plus i never really rated the tunes he did with Jimmy J, they're well made, crowd pleasing, but a bit...standard.

Basically i think Luna-C was kinda like Hyper On Experience, but for the happy era. I.E. Could make bangers, but preferred to make stuff that was a little deeper.
To summarise... "Thinking Man's Music"

Remember, DJs had to play music for the masses to dance to, where as bedroom DJs actually listened to the tracks. Hence why Kniteforce was one of the biggest selling labels in its day.

IMO the tracks with JJ weren't very good quality, but they were 10 out of 10 as crowd pleasers.

Chris is obviously very intelligent musically, which is not actually as good thing, a few of mates often needed me in the studio to play 'devils advocate' or in reality, 'dumb raver', as it is important to know your audience.

The magic formula to get ahead was to make tracks with the 'magic formula' for the masses nad the DJs to play, then once your label is established, do what the F*CK you want...

Regarding the remix fees, most people I knew inc myself, did remixes gratis if it meant they'd do you a remix for your label. It meant the labels made more money - everyone was happy...

User avatar
eazyflow
Old Skool Don Daddy
Old Skool Don Daddy
Posts: 2518
Joined: Sat May 10, 2003 1:25 pm
Location: Hull

Re: How To Squander Your Potential

Post by eazyflow » Thu Feb 16, 2012 8:30 am

Really looking forward to getting a copy of this.

I've always enjoyed reading Luna-C's blog pieces - he writes very well and always has interesting thoughts and opinions to share. Like others have mentioned I'm expecting this to be a far more enjoyable and articulate read than most other hotch-potch books about the 'rave' scene.

Locked