Records you paid WAY too much for

Old Skool chat, tune discussions.
No tape packs or mix tape posts in the forum please!
andrew
Oldskool Raver
Oldskool Raver

Re: Records you paid WAY too much for

Post by andrew » Tue Feb 08, 2011 10:41 am

I remember bidding £40 for that JJ version of 99 Red Balloons! It was for ages my most sought-after tune, bar none. I was gutted to be outbid but managed to buy it for £5 the very next day in an extremely unlikely fluke.

oldskoolforever
He never locked his car door

Post by oldskoolforever » Tue Feb 08, 2011 1:27 pm

dj genocide wrote: it was me who bought the Jimmy J version of 99 Red Balloons off eBay for £150.
:shock: Ouch, a £5 tune at most these days.

You see a lot of people struggling to shift happy hardcore on ebay now even for £2 a tune. Shame really, a lot of the tunes are good. All The JJ ones were brill and I paid £10-£20 for most of them as well. Times have changed !

oldskoolforever

Post by oldskoolforever » Tue Feb 08, 2011 1:29 pm

Rapid wrote:
Not sure, I paid £120 for Blame - Music Takes You (Seal)
Was that on Ebay?

no, think i bought it from Jacko on here or something, i might be wrong - was a long time back.

Traffic Cone
The Messiah of the 21st Century

Post by Traffic Cone » Tue Feb 08, 2011 2:21 pm

oldskoolforever wrote: You see a lot of people struggling to shift happy hardcore on ebay now even for £2 a tune. Shame really, a lot of the tunes are good. All The JJ ones were brill and I paid £10-£20 for most of them as well. Times have changed !
yeah even more valuable ones...i was chuffed to find a copy of Techno Wonderland cheap recently, which i thought i could sell on for a profit. in the end i had to shift it for £5 :(

the weird thing about happy hardcore is the tunes that would go for lots of money.

eg - loads of great tunes were as you say hard to shift for £3 but that "Hey Jude" remix Vibes played was once a £60+ tune :lol: now i have to admit i love it...but i know i'm in the minority there even amongst cheesers! but yet the high price...

ian saunders
Old Skool Don Daddy
Old Skool Don Daddy

Post by ian saunders » Tue Feb 08, 2011 3:54 pm

Traffic Cone wrote:
oldskoolforever wrote: You see a lot of people struggling to shift happy hardcore on ebay now even for £2 a tune. Shame really, a lot of the tunes are good. All The JJ ones were brill and I paid £10-£20 for most of them as well. Times have changed !
yeah even more valuable ones...i was chuffed to find a copy of Techno Wonderland cheap recently, which i thought i could sell on for a profit. in the end i had to shift it for £5 :(

the weird thing about happy hardcore is the tunes that would go for lots of money.

eg - loads of great tunes were as you say hard to shift for £3 but that "Hey Jude" remix Vibes played was once a £60+ tune :lol: now i have to admit i love it...but i know i'm in the minority there even amongst cheesers! but yet the high price...
I'm a bit of an old cheeser and i concur - that Hey Jude remix is the worst piece of gash i've ever heard :D

Would be interesting to find out if the tunes being sold now are "new" -as in new people selling "new copies", or people who bought and are now re-selling for whatever reason.

I'm not really a vinyl collector, not harbouring any ideas about DJing, so i only tend to buy tunes if they're cheap.

dj_gyr8
Old Skool Don Daddy
Old Skool Don Daddy

Post by dj_gyr8 » Tue Feb 08, 2011 5:30 pm

ian saunders wrote:
Traffic Cone wrote:

I'm a bit of an old cheeser and i concur - that Hey Jude remix is the worst piece of gash i've ever heard :D

Would be interesting to find out if the tunes being sold now are "new" -as in new people selling "new copies", or people who bought and are now re-selling for whatever reason.

I'm not really a vinyl collector, not harbouring any ideas about DJing, so i only tend to buy tunes if they're cheap.
Hi,

I had a few copies of that Ravers Choice 6 vinyl, never knew it was worth anything BITD, especially as the A-side is uber cheese.

Funny how ppl wanted it so bad, for the A-side, when it actually had an awesome track on the B-side by DJ Faber.

Virtually all the Happy Hardcore sells for peanuts now. I cannot think of a single release that goes for over £10, even D D Zion's "Blue Sky Day" is cheap now!

I remember seeing a dubplate of DJ Fade's remix of "Emerald" go for over £200 almost 10 years ago!

dj jedi

Post by dj jedi » Tue Feb 08, 2011 5:40 pm

Yes it is amazing that most hardcore is literally worthless now when a) it was worth just as much/sometimes more than old skool 5-10 years ago, and b) I bet most of these records are FAR more rare than things like 20 Hurts EP, Crimewatch Project etc. By the time 95 came around record sales and hence production had nosedived. There were barely 1000 copies pressed of most hardcore tracks, sometimes much less. as with D+B now, it was all about the compilation CDs and performing if you wanted to make money as a hardcore producer.

neiltrix
Regular
Regular

Post by neiltrix » Sun Feb 13, 2011 7:46 pm

Hi ..... I am Neil Trix... and the core was only ever released on a BLACK LABEL.. i know because i paid for and pressed and mastered it.. so somebody is a dodgy bugger !!!

Such a shame bootleggers feel the need to rip off tracks that artists made to help create a scene!! and make money from it.. because they have no talent to make tracks on their own.

Oh well, the core was a tune from 92, so 19 yrs and its still being played is a great feeling. Oh the joys of an S950.

Neil.

neiltrix
Regular
Regular

Post by neiltrix » Sun Feb 13, 2011 10:28 pm

could be.... as i said we only ever released it on Black label.
Maybe there were some dodgy pressing plants back then, would not surprise me to be honest. It was the Rave Scene after all !!!

Recoil
Oldskool Raver
Oldskool Raver

Post by Recoil » Sun Feb 13, 2011 10:29 pm

neiltrix wrote:Hi ..... I am Neil Trix... and the core was only ever released on a BLACK LABEL.. i know because i paid for and pressed and mastered it.. so somebody is a dodgy bugger !!!

Such a shame bootleggers feel the need to rip off tracks that artists made to help create a scene!! and make money from it.. because they have no talent to make tracks on their own.

Oh well, the core was a tune from 92, so 19 yrs and its still being played is a great feeling. Oh the joys of an S950.

Neil.
wow I didn't realize it came out in 92. my copy is the pure black label one. and my copy of Terminate - which I got in 2000 - is a pure white but it is the actual Bang-In tunes release.. the guy I got it from is a well-known DJ who was unloading a bunch of his old hardcore/jungle. it just has "Bangin Tunes # 2" written in pen on one side, and "Blasted remix" written in pen on the other.

Paul Zykotik
Old Skool Don Daddy
Old Skool Don Daddy

Post by Paul Zykotik » Mon Feb 14, 2011 9:22 am

dj jedi wrote:Yes it is amazing that most hardcore is literally worthless now when a) it was worth just as much/sometimes more than old skool 5-10 years ago, and b) I bet most of these records are FAR more rare than things like 20 Hurts EP, Crimewatch Project etc. By the time 95 came around record sales and hence production had nosedived. There were barely 1000 copies pressed of most hardcore tracks, sometimes much less. as with D+B now, it was all about the compilation CDs and performing if you wanted to make money as a hardcore producer.
The difference though is that there might be less copies, but there are also less people who want to hang on to them, so you see numerous copies for sale for peanuts. TBH that stuff hasn't aged well at all and was very much music of the time - I guess you could argue the 91-94 sound was as well but that had a much bigger following and lots of the tunes have stood the test of time. It's also very much...eh...how to put this politely - music targeted at a young audience that doesn't sound quite so good when you get a bit older.

Traffic Cone

Post by Traffic Cone » Mon Feb 14, 2011 12:17 pm

and it was a scene much more about anthems. hence why a lot of the better tracks from the late 90s are worthless just because they're not one of the massive awful vocal tunes people actually remember.

Sonic_
Oldskool Raver
Oldskool Raver

Post by Sonic_ » Mon Feb 21, 2011 3:29 pm

Paul Zykotik wrote: It's also very much...eh...how to put this politely - music targeted at a young audience that doesn't sound quite so good when you get a bit older.
haha couldn't agree more. When I was into it after the proper hardcore days of early nineties, I used to think this was the next best thing and how other people not knowing about happy hardcore are missing out. Was a new buzz at the time basically, now I cannot even remember the last time I played one of the hundreds of vinyls dated from 97-2001. 'left' the scene as you'd say as I got really bored of the same old trancyness, and yet every year upto now 10 years later it still sounds same old sh1te unfortunately.

But the proper oldskool hardcore vinyls, well they seem to still get played every other week amazingly now all these years on. Legendary music.

Most I paid for a vinyl was about 35 for Eastern Promise ep on RAM, then found I never really liked it that much plus then finding out the price had rocketed, sold for triple the amount a few years back.

edit: now on discogs selling for £500 ! wtf

fibreoptic
Old Skool Master
Old Skool Master

Post by fibreoptic » Tue Feb 22, 2011 11:29 am

I paid £88 for TwinHead - We Gonna Go after looking for months just before it was repressed

I don't even want to think about how much it's worth now :-(

Adam Timeless

Post by Adam Timeless » Tue Feb 22, 2011 12:05 pm

um don't think I have overpaid for too much, never really splashed out serious money on a tune. Bought quite a few for £20, but then never seen them cheaper and had my share of bargains so it all evens out. Back in the early days of Ebay stuff thats dirt cheap now could fetch silly money then. I had a couple of people in a bidding war for Happy Rollers "95 Style" and the winner ended up paying £35 all in all! Well overpaid! And DJ Seduction & Billy Bunter "Hop On The Dancefloor" a £2 tune now, some Swiss guy paid about £20+ (inc p&p!).