Records you paid WAY too much for

Old Skool chat, tune discussions.
No tape packs or mix tape posts in the forum please!
dj jedi

Records you paid WAY too much for

Post by dj jedi » Tue Feb 01, 2011 4:21 pm

There's quite often threads on bargains we have got, so I thought it would be a bit of fun to admit to some purchasing bloomers we've made during our collecting careers.

I think mine would have to be paying £40 for a rather rinsed copy of SL2 - DJ's Take Control in 1997. I was only 16 so it was a shit lot of money to spend on anything at the time! I actually wish I still had that copy as it has cool graffiti on the cover and was one of the first 'old skool' records I ever bought, but it got nicked a few years ago :(

It's funny that I remember buying it from a record shop in Bournemouth where I regularly bought new D+B at the time, and it looked like such an old record. I can't imagine now picking up a 2005 D+B record and thinking 'wow, that's an antique!' :lol:

I also paid £100 for Krome + Time - This Sound is for the Underground Remix in 1998. This was well before eBay though, and I'd consider that money well spent as it was my favourite ever tune for years and I remember how pleased I was to finally get it :)

ian saunders
Old Skool Don Daddy
Old Skool Don Daddy

Re: Records you paid WAY too much for

Post by ian saunders » Tue Feb 01, 2011 4:32 pm

I spent £2 on "Banana Sausage" :lol:

pineappletribe
Old Skool Don Daddy
Old Skool Don Daddy

Post by pineappletribe » Tue Feb 01, 2011 4:40 pm

£50 for this was 'way too much' by my reckoning.. so flogged it:

http://www.discogs.com/DJ-Jinx-Devotion ... se/1114818

But i can honestly say that any tune going for over £30 is too much imo... I have bought plenty of tunes for more than this due to the lack of copies available -> but i think it is ridiculous. Represses ftw!

I have thought about selling on numerous tunes because of their ridiculous prices. I guess that is the price of loving (& collecting) old vinyl.

phil
Old Skool Don Daddy
Old Skool Don Daddy

Post by phil » Tue Feb 01, 2011 5:20 pm

Most i have spent is

45 quid for tango project
40 quid for cyanide 45

both were long time wants and i sold my copy of techno playtime ep for a 100 quid on ebay so was all good

dj jedi

Post by dj jedi » Tue Feb 01, 2011 5:41 pm

Sorry guys, this isn't meant to be another "what's the most you've paid for a tune" thread... Just records you paid too much for (even if it's £10 for a tune worth £2!) Those 2 prices are very reasonable Phil! :)

phil
Old Skool Don Daddy
Old Skool Don Daddy

Post by phil » Tue Feb 01, 2011 5:57 pm

ah ok

100 quid for sound is for the underground was steep lol

phil
Old Skool Don Daddy
Old Skool Don Daddy

Post by phil » Tue Feb 01, 2011 5:59 pm

i think i bought t99 anasthasia for 10 quid and nightbird - convert for a tenner back in about 94 which nowadays you can find them in 50p bargain bins

aize
Old Skool Master
Old Skool Master

Post by aize » Tue Feb 01, 2011 7:08 pm

Had mixed luck, some bargains, some rips. Paid £10-15 i think for everybody in the place in 2006, but was the first old skool record I bought an didn't know the value. Few tunes I picked up for £15 a pop before i realized that just cos they were from 92 didn't mean they were any good. :lol: (Not sayin that about the prodigy ep though cos everybody in the place is still one of my favourite records)

safe
The Messiah of the 21st Century
The Messiah of the 21st Century

Post by safe » Tue Feb 01, 2011 7:48 pm

i think i paid £50 for 'pennywise'. that was a lot. plenty of others, but thankfully balanced out against lots of bargains.

pete.devnull
Old Skool Master
Old Skool Master

Post by pete.devnull » Tue Feb 01, 2011 9:29 pm

space "deeper"
and
dreamscape "i am the creator"

are I think the most expensive

can't remember exact amounts, somewhere between 100 pounds total and 100 pounds each :|

dj_yt
Old Skool Master
Old Skool Master

Post by dj_yt » Tue Feb 01, 2011 9:30 pm

I paid £15 for a scratched and unplayable copy of In Complete Darkness from Destiny records in Bournemouth. They never replied to my e-mails :(

taffster
Old Skool Master
Old Skool Master

Post by taffster » Tue Feb 01, 2011 10:00 pm

dj_yt wrote:I paid £15 for a scratched and unplayable copy of In Complete Darkness from Destiny records in Bournemouth. They never replied to my e-mails :(
Was best to go down there, Olly & boys always fine with me, maybe it was fun for them to hear my mates really welshie accents innit boyo...

eazyflow
Old Skool Don Daddy
Old Skool Don Daddy

Post by eazyflow » Wed Feb 02, 2011 7:55 am

I remember in the early days of Discogs around 2005/2006 before everything had been listed properly and hadn't quite developed into the worldwide trading hub that it is now, I paid way too much for Belgian/Dutch techno tunes all of which can be picked up for a couple of euros now. Examples include:

Intellect 'Throw Your hands up' 15 Euros
Techno City 'Vamos Techno' 20 Euros
Prophecy 'Devastating Rhythm' £12 Euros

Just looked back at my old Discogs orders for those prices. I also remember paying £8 each for a collection of Dance Opera tunes about 5 years ago... other than that the only other tune I can remember reall paying way too much for was £25 for Rave Digger Remixes.

Paul Zykotik
Old Skool Don Daddy
Old Skool Don Daddy

Post by Paul Zykotik » Wed Feb 02, 2011 11:09 am

On the Belgian tip, I paid a tenner for Olympia - Art FX. 5 or 6 years ago it would regularly go for higher than that on Ebay, all because of the Top Buzz NYE 91 set I guess. Now there's 25 copies on Discogs and the cheapest is £2.

Paid £13 for the Tango remix of Foul Play - Open Your Mind...had never heard it before, played it in the shop and got caught up in the excitement of how good it was. Has been on sale on Discogs for about a fiver ever since. In my defence that was back in 2002.

Thing is it's easy to forget just how difficult it was to pick up some releases until Discogs got their marketplace up and running. So the money we paid at the time made sense.

£100 for Sound Is For The Underground though! That's a winner I think...

oldskoolforever
He never locked his car door
He never locked his car door

Post by oldskoolforever » Wed Feb 02, 2011 1:16 pm

Paul Zykotik wrote:
£100 for Sound Is For The Underground though! That's a winner I think...

Not sure, I paid £120 for Blame - Music Takes You (Seal) :shock:

Definitely overpriced, but at the time i was desperate to own it !